Cowboys placing 5th year option on Parsons (not official yet) as DE

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Over the cap has LB at $24m and DE at $21m so this would mean the team is actually choosing to pay Micah less.

I am extremely critical of this FO and this shocks me. This is a new low. They have a franchise player and perennial DPOY candidate and they are trying to get over on him for $2m? That is beyond ridiculous.

Also, if how they are explaining it that 3-4 OLBs are “Edge players” and count as LBs but Parsons, an Edge player can be paid less under the technicality of being a DE, that is crazy. He’s an Edge rusher the same way Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, and TJ Watt are. His classification should be based on that.
I called this out a while back.

5th year option, then Tag, Tag.

He will be worn out by the end of his 7th season.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Kinda expected with them just delaying or canceling all other extensions. Including one year contracts for coaches. Thing is being handled like a mom and pop food truck, no disrespect to the mom and pop food trucks. But i would agree on this maneuver. See how he does under Zimm's defense with some added help.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Can anyone else envision an Ezekiel Elliott type holdout that happened 5 years ago in 2019??? Am I the only one? Could Parson hold out this season or perhaps next demanding to be paid more than any other defensive player ever?? Remember how it ended for Zeke? If you don't then I will update you: Jones and Son caved. Zeke got more $$$ than he should have and a longer contract time wise. So, if you are Parsons and is agent you have to ask, "Well, why not us?"

rambo2

Reaction score
The NFL decides what your designation is, not the cowboys.
Yes, they do it on the amount of plays played at the position in the 3rd contract year. Also, they will do a new contract before the 5th year.in 2025.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Can anyone else envision an Ezekiel Elliott type holdout that happened 5 years ago in 2019??? Am I the only one? Could Parson hold out this season or perhaps next demanding to be paid more than any other defensive player ever?? Remember how it ended for Zeke? If you don't then I will update you: Jones and Son caved. Zeke got more $$$ than he should have and a longer contract time wise. So, if you are Parsons and is agent you have to ask, "Well, why not us?"
If we don't get something done before he is slated to play on the 5th year option, he should hold out. He's definitely shown he deserves a 2nd contract -- and a big one. No reason to make him wait. The year three holdout is really more about RBs because they tend not to have long careers. Micah already said that he knows CeeDee's deal is next up, not his.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
this is just a cap move , lower the cap till he signs his big contract

Tussinman

Reaction score
Also, if how they are explaining it that 3-4 OLBs are “Edge players” and count as LBs but Parsons, an Edge player can be paid less under the technicality of being a DE, that is crazy. He’s an Edge rusher the same way Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, and TJ Watt are. His classification should be based on that.
Classification always confused me. Like this year for example he made AP 2nd team as an edge rusher but made pro bowl starter and PWFA/TSN 1st team all-pro all as an outside linebacker.

John813

Reaction score

The new CBA really makes it harder on most, non superstar players to hold out. In Parsons case his potential is ridiculous and maybe it wouldn't hurt the long term $$$ for him but for most the fees stricter and non waive-able. For guys like Nick Bosa and Parsons the fees will be peanuts, and like you said this FO folds quickly.
Think he will holdout at some point, if a deal isn't done this or early next year.
40k a day on a 170mil contract is nothing lol