Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sources: Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance; What of 5th-Year Option?​

Story by Mike Fisher

FRISCO - The Dallas Cowboys entered the 2023 NFL Draft wishing to use a mid-round pick on an affordable developmental quarterback to work behind Dak Prescott. The chips didn't quite fall that way, but the mindset was the same when at the start of the season they traded a mid-round pick (a fourth-rounder) for a quarterback who has yet to develop in Trey Lance.

The same concept. A different path. And now the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, who is still just 23, is a member of the Cowboys.

How long will Lance remain that way? There is this season and 2024 left on his rookie contract. It pays him $940,000 this season; that's extremely affordable for a look. And it is a guaranteed $5.3 million in 2024; that's still affordable, especially if Lance improves.

But then? The Cowboys, two sources tell CowboysSI.com, do not plan to exercise the fifth-year option on Lance in the spring of 2025, as that would cost about $25 million. ... but do plan on finding a way to keep him in Dallas.

The trick, short of Lance miraculously blossoming into being a better player than Prescott (which Dallas does not foresee as it continues to plan for a massive contract extension for the team leader) is to find a middle ground: Can Lance become a good-enough backup to merit a cap-friendly extension here ... as opposed to becoming so good (somehow) that he can get his $25 million-plus elsewhere?

Read much much more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=14db08dc26fd477b96bc3c42bfe1c06a&ei=19

AA1hNVLJ.img

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
None of this makes any sense to me which leads me to believe that all options are still on the table for the Cowboys.

Signing Lance to a big dollar contract with Dak on the roster makes zero sense. Lance agreeing to sign at a backup rate makes zero sense as he could probably wait it out and get another chance to compete for a starting role elsewhere for the same salary plus better incentives.

Nothing seems to be adding up with the Cowboys at the QB position.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ok, so, at 5.3 for next year, he has to be the two. I’m figuring Rush makes around that number.

I just don’t see how you do that unless he gets an extended shot to play and improve, which could only truly happen with a Dak season ending injury this year.

I guess he is just a hedge bet, but it still doesn’t add up for me, and it’s probably not much more than Jerry not having a clue and buying a lottery ticket at looking like a genius. He seemed to like patting himself on the back with not having to waste time with having to clear the Lance deal with an owner. Meanwhile, outbidding everyone by probably two rounds meant they would have waited.

The more I think on it, Im actually shocked this team isn’t consistently much worse than it is.

McClay isn’t perfect, but what else can it be?

It’s beyond shameful when you realize that with proper coaching, and without owner undermining, this organization could have had much more success in recent years than it has.

Being Bob Kraft isn’t enough for Jerry.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why on Earth would Lance sign a deal at a backup rate?

He should do that where he'll have an opportunity to start.
Exactly......there's no way on God's green earth he is signing an extension for less than $25M to back up Dak. They have only three options, promise him a chance to compete for the starting job ( with a matching contract ) franchise him, or let him walk.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
None of this makes any sense to me which leads me to believe that all options are still on the table for the Cowboys.

Signing Lance to a big dollar contract with Dak on the roster makes zero sense. Lance agreeing to sign at a backup rate makes zero sense as he could probably wait it out and get another chance to compete for a starting role elsewhere for the same salary plus better incentives.

Nothing seems to be adding up with the Cowboys at the QB position.
None.........which lead me to believe something here they are saying. Honestly, until they resign Dak to a big-time extension, I think this kid is their fallback option.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Re signing Trey Lance is the only move they're planning to make this season, as they won't make any big time trades.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
None.........which lead me to believe something here they are saying. Honestly, until they resign Dak to a big-time extension, I think this kid is their fallback option.
I think that's right. I mean really there are only 3 possibilities here....

1) Lance is leverage in Dak negotiations
2) Lance is who they hope can take over
3) They really don't have a plan

To me none of those possibilities are off the table either.