Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance

Pass2Run

Reaction score
..sounds viable. Give the guy year or two.

If he pans out great. If not, then...
I kind of feel like it's Drew Henson all over again. Fits the prototypical athlete you want for the time, but just doesn't cut it.
I mean, for a reason. The best you could hope for is a back up, and the 9ers had Josh Jacobs last year. I just find it strange, too. Given they had an up close look at the player.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Does that then mean Cooper Rush signs with the New York Giants?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I kind of feel like it's Drew Henson all over again. Fits the prototypical athlete you want for the time, but just doesn't cut it.
I mean, for a reason. The best you could hope for is a back up, and the 9ers had Josh Jacobs last year. I just find it strange, too. Given they had an up close look at the player.
No where close on talent base and personal status as a quarterback.

plymkr

Reaction score
If this was the case they would simply take the fifth year option (2025) in Lance's deal and pay him like the starting QB you think he will be. And they aren't doing that.

I have a feeling this forum is going to explode when the Cowboys extend Dak again. Because- if only for cap relief- they have no alternative.
Depends how much the extension would cost. For instance if they kept him at 40 million APY and extended him for 3 years. I’d be fine with it. I’m in the “Dak needs to go crowd”. I would be happy with that scenario because it would give Lance enough time to develop, kind of like how Romo sat the bench for 4 years.

I would be in the “explosion crowd” if we signed Dak to an extension paying him Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow money. That would be franchise suicide IMO. Dak is older, slower, and is less accurate. He’s also lost a lot of his playmaking abilities since the ankle injury. And that’s just the physical aspect, mentally he was never a big time player. In playoffs he’s not played well against good competition.

I look at it this way. I wanted Zeke to come back but for a million or 2. Zeke was declining in skills and wasn’t a #1 back. So keeping Zeke at the right price I felt was a good idea because he did some things well. We still need a short yardage guy. I feel the same way about Dak, he’s declining physically. If we sign him to a very team friendly deal, 35-40 million then great. If he resets the market then we’re screwed. IMO it would be like signing Zeke or Gallup to a market setting deal. You can’t sign a declining player to a massive contract. That’s what scares me. This article said they are planning on a MASSIVE extension. That’s very bad news for us. Unless he wins the Super Bowl and shows he can show up for big games.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If this was the case they would simply take the fifth year option (2025) in Lance's deal and pay him like the starting QB you think he will be. And they aren't doing that.

I have a feeling this forum is going to explode when the Cowboys extend Dak again. Because- if only for cap relief- they have no alternative.
Why would this forum explode? Most here agree Dak is outplaying Hurts and believe he’s the best QB in the NFC East. So, he should be paid over $55 million per season which I believe is what Hurts signed for.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
There's an easy explanation for all of this. Jerry pulled a Jerry. He recognized the name Trey Lance and got excited and didn't tell anybody what he was doing until after it was done. I mean, who among us hasn't made a drunken impulsive decision on Ebay late at night?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's an easy explanation for all of this. Jerry pulled a Jerry. He recognized the name Trey Lance and got excited and didn't tell anybody what he was doing until after it was done. I mean, who among us hasn't made a drunken impulsive decision on Ebay late at night?
Anyone that uses eBay has no right bagging on Jerry….:lmao:

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Eagles drafted Hurts when they had Wentz.
The only thing here is that one doesn't pile up failures to measure the good. One piles up the goods and then takes a look. *Applies to Jerry as well.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh could we maybe see him play first? My thought is one of the best offensive minds in the league walked away from him so call me a skeptic.
Yep...no decent player ever got traded away. EVEERRRR!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Uh could we maybe see him play first? My thought is one of the best offensive minds in the league walked away from him so call me a skeptic.
Everyone except the Jones have seen him play, which is the reason he's sporting a star on his helmet......................

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone except the Jones have seen him play, which is the reason he's sporting a star on his helmet......................
I bet most critics have not seen him play. But maybe a few plays here and there. And this place, a few loud mouths repeating the same thing. Many sheep will follow. It is the way it is.

I say the Jones know far more than many of these posters.

doomsday808

Reaction score
I see another upside down contract that will put us in a hole for the next few years.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Bingo

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
From what I understand, he wasn't let go due to talent or potential. His time in SF was doomed the minute Purdy stepped on the field. The kid didn't lose a game and took his team on a deep playoff run. No front office would stick with a project when there's a younger guy on the team playing like Purdy has.

Lance was in a bad position at that point. He knew it, the Niners knew it, and the media knew it. They were smart to bring in a former 1st rounder in Darnold to compete and eventually push Lance off of the roster. It was damage control for selling the farm for a guy that was riding the pine.

The move to Dallas gives him more time to mold his craft and learn from somebody different. It gets him away from the drama in SF and allows him to develop his game while bring locked in a role of minimal responsibility. If he develops, we hit a home run. If he fails, we lost a draft pick on a high ceiling average floor deal. The push to play him is silly, but there is reason for some excitement with this player.