Cowboys possible TB opponent for opener

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Houston did not have their biggest weapon in Hopkins but again NFL tends to take a playoff opponent from the previous season.

yup and it’s also week 1 of the Nfl and Tom Brady there will be people watching- don’t think they need to worry about draws

Forneymike

Reaction score
I don't think the networks are going to waste a Cowboys game on the first night when it's guaranteed to be a big draw anyway

Motorola

Reaction score
Just thought of this. Sorry if its been mentioned.

The possible opponents for the Thursday opener at Tampa are...

Chicago
Dallas
NY Giants
Miami
Buffalo
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

None of the division rivals are bona-fide contenders.

Buffalo is certainly the best team but its an out of conference game.

Giants?? No.

Bears with Wentz? Even worse.

Miami could work because of the Florida thing, but that's a reach.

I'd say the likely call is Dallas.

If nothing else, this shows that if the league passes on the Cowboys over these other teams here....after the December flex for the Browns....maybe they are no longer such a ratings darling.
The flex out was on the the league's and fans' radars two months before it happened.
And what many failed to realize the 4-9 Cowboys were only HALF the reason.
The defending NFC Champion 49ers suffered many injuries, thus struggling 2020 also - their record was 5-8 when they came into AT&T Stadium that pre- Xmas Sunday. No brainer that game was not going to stay in that SNF slot.

As far as the 2021 opener, I think the league will schedule the Saints @ Buccaneers.
1) Division rival
2) The teams last played in the divisional round of the playoffs
3) First view of the new era for New Orleans - no Drew Brees under center. And the new starting QB could very well be Jameis Winston - facing his former team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but doubt that it'll be the Cowboys.

The league should see it as a lame way to start the season.

That matchup might not be considered competitive enough for game one.

I'm picturing the Buffalo Bills as the team most likely to appeal to the majority of fans!

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
The flex out was on the the league's and fans' radars two months before it happened.
And what many failed to realize the 4-9 Cowboys were only HALF the reason.
The defending NFC Champion 49ers suffered many injuries, thus struggling 2020 also - their record was 5-8 when they came into AT&T Stadium that pre- Xmas Sunday. No brainer that game was not going to stay in that SNF slot.

As far as the 2021 opener, I think the league will schedule the Saints @ Buccaneers.
1) Division rival
2) The teams last played in the divisional round of the playoffs
3) First view of the new era for New Orleans - no Drew Brees under center. And the new starting QB could very well be Jameis Winston - facing his former team.
Good points and I hope you're right about the Saints....I want no part of that game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can't help but doubt that it'll be the Cowboys.

The league should see it as a lame way to start the season.

That matchup might not be considered competitive enough for game one.

I'm picturing the Buffalo Bills as the team most likely to appeal to the majority of fans!
Buffalo is unquestionably the best team they will host, but I don't see the storyline that the league may like.

Not that there's one with Dallas, but there was a time when they would have been the unquestionable opponent in this case. I don't know that they are at this point in time.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If they pick the Dallas Jerry's the game will be over before the half. Then stats Prescott can wrack up his stats and the Church of Dak can proclaim that he had an awesome day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If I had to take a guess right now who Dallas will open with I would bet it will be Washington. I think with them winning the East this past season I think it is more likely that Washington and Dallas will be the 2 front runners in the NFC East

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If I had to take a guess right now who Dallas will open with I would bet it will be Washington. I think with them winning the East this past season I think it is more likely that Washington and Dallas will be the 2 front runners in the NFC East

Dallas isn't front running anything. This is just hype that has no basis in reality. Like those Campo years where it was - this is the year we will be showing up with a workman like attitude - end result, 5-11.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas isn't front running anything. This is just hype that has no basis in reality. Like those Campo years where it was - this is the year we will be showing up with a workman like attitude - end result, 5-11.

and that is your opinion. so you and your 5-11 can go take a hike, . I don't see this team being as badly injured as last season.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I hope we are the first game against Tampa. :hammer:

it would be awesome to be the sacrificial lambs against the World Champs, kind of like being fed to the lions in the Coliseum. Having Jerry witness it all would be great too. At the same time, it would be a great early gauge as to whether Dallas will be worth a lick or not.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
and that is your opinion. so you and your 5-11 can go take a hike, . I don't see this team being as badly injured as last season.

The year before they weren't badly injured and went nowhere. How many more years of swallowing Jerry's peddled crap is it going to take for you to get this?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The year before they weren't badly injured and went nowhere. How many more years of swallowing Jerry's peddled crap is it going to take for you to get this?

I guess I will buy it until the day I die, find a team you can support evidently this one is not for you. I think this team has talent and will be in the thick of the race. Now you want to bet on the 5-11 season for next year? I gladly take it

foofighters

Reaction score
Just thought of this. Sorry if its been mentioned.

The possible opponents for the Thursday opener at Tampa are...

Chicago
Dallas
NY Giants
Miami
Buffalo
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

None of the division rivals are bona-fide contenders.

Buffalo is certainly the best team but its an out of conference game.

Giants?? No.

Bears with Wentz? Even worse.

Miami could work because of the Florida thing, but that's a reach.

I'd say the likely call is Dallas.

If nothing else, this shows that if the league passes on the Cowboys over these other teams here....after the December flex for the Browns....maybe they are no longer such a ratings darling.
I can see it being the cowboys because the media loves to hype up the boys at the beginning of the year. Especially with the Dak drama because he won't be signed by then.