Cowboys possible TB opponent for opener

fivetwos

Reaction score
The consensus of the thread seems to be Saints (with no Brees).

That tells me plenty as far as how Dallas has fallen as a ratings darling.

They would have been a no brainer choice until recently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

why? NFL tends to put the SB winner vs a playoff team they faced the year before. In this case Saints and Tampa faced off in post season. Last year KC opened up with Houston because it was a post season match up from the year before. The match ups has nothing to do with Dallas. I think people look for reasons to complain about the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

What games helped the NFL TV Ratings in 2020?

Dallas Cowboys and Washington Football Team would meet on Thanksgiving Day. This game was aired on FOX and would bring in 30.3 million viewers which is the highest for the 2020 NFL Season. FOX would televise ten of the highest games when it comes to ratings in the 2020 NFL Season.

Qcard

Reaction score
Just thought of this. Sorry if its been mentioned.

The possible opponents for the Thursday opener at Tampa are...

Chicago
Dallas
NY Giants
Miami
Buffalo
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

None of the division rivals are bona-fide contenders.

Buffalo is certainly the best team but its an out of conference game.

Giants?? No.

Bears with Wentz? Even worse.

Miami could work because of the Florida thing, but that's a reach.

I'd say the likely call is Dallas.

If nothing else, this shows that if the league passes on the Cowboys over these other teams here....after the December flex for the Browns....maybe they are no longer such a ratings darling.
The Networks won't make a decision number of Cowboys Prime Time games till they know whom the QB1 is going to be.....try the Andy Dalton Eye Test Plan again and watch the Cowboys face black-outs

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The Networks won't make a decision number of Cowboys Prime Time games till they know whom the QB1 is going to be.....try the Andy Dalton Eye Test Plan again and watch the Cowboys face black-outs

Right because this team was just playing lights out with Prescott LOL, 2-3 record and one of the two wins was because Andy Dalton came in and saved his bacon against a really bad Giants team.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Oh ok, so now we blaming him for the schedule? Lol mmmk.

No, I'm merely pointing out that the only half way decent defense he played last year was the Rams. Has no bearing on the schedule - just the way it turned out. It also points out that he sucks when he faces better defenses. Not just plays average but flat out sucks. Go watch that game and you will see what I mean, because the pass rush and the Rams D-Line is good enough to outplay the Offensive Line of Dallas, you see Dak's mental clock hurry up and when he gets rushed like that he is erratic and is off his throws. Now we can say that it happens to all QB's sure - but let's not pretend like some QB's don't handle the rush better than others.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Chicago
Dallas
NY Giants
Miami
Buffalo
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

Giants?? No.

If nothing else, this shows that if the league passes on the Cowboys over these other teams here....after the December flex for the Browns....maybe they are no longer such a ratings darling.

First off it hasn't always been the Super Bowl champs that played in the season kick off game. 2019 didn't have either team from the previous Super Bowl and there has never been a team with a losing record the previous year on that kick off game so the chances of the Cowboys getting that game are pretty slim. I'd say the likely team if Tampa is one of them is either the packers or saints.

fivetwos

Reaction score
First off it hasn't always been the Super Bowl champs that played in the season kick off game. 2019 didn't have either team from the previous Super Bowl and there has never been a team with a losing record the previous year on that kick off game so the chances of the Cowboys getting that game are pretty slim. I'd say the likely team if Tampa is one of them is either the packers or saints.
Its happened every year since 2004, with two exceptions...and there were reasons for both.

Tampa is hosting that game.

The Saints are losing Brees and your Packers aren't an option.

My point is already proven as Dallas would have been a slam dunk choice in this spot in the past.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I hope it happens. Let Jerry watch another team raise a banner.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Its happened every year since 2004, with two exceptions...and there were reasons for both.

Tampa is hosting that game.

The Saints are losing Brees and your Packers aren't an option.

My point is already proven as Dallas would have been a slam dunk choice in this spot in the past.

You must be on drugs and have proved nothing as the Cowboys pick other than a personal hope that it happens. All those years except those two had the previous Super Bowl winner, and they played one of the teams they faced in the playoffs the previous year. So that would leave the packers or the saints, probably leaning more towards the packers. You know the two teams that played in the NFC championship game and you give no, nada, zip reasons why the packers aren't an option even though they are the most logical and obvious choice. Also a team with a losing record the previous year has NEVER been one of the teams in the season kick off game. The Cowboys weren't in the playoffs so they didn't play Tampa in the playoffs and the Cowboys had a losing record last season so based on history the Cowboys have less than any chance to play in the season kick off game against whatever team is selected. At this time neither team has not been selected but the Cowboys won't be one of them.

Fmart322

Reaction score

Chicago
Dallas
NY Giants
Miami
Buffalo
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta

Giants?? No.

If the NFL is smart they'll pick the bucs vs the saints. It'll be a better game, especially if Drew Brees doesn't retire.

Sorry, I don't see how the Cowboys in this spot is a win for the NFL. The Cowboys are coming off a terrible season at 6-10 and have a putrid defense.

Jipper

Reaction score

i totaly disagree they would have been a no brainer....Dallas has very little history with Tampa, they aren’t in the same division and haven’t had a playoff or post season game against them

you also have to consider that the Thursday night game will have huge ratings regardless of who the teams are because it’s the first game of the year....it is wise of the nfl to put Dallas in a different spot to pull ratings up since the first game is inherently strong