Cowboys Practice Squad Thread

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
natesboys051;4086280 said:
Funny how a lot of guys were hating and hoping for AOA to get CUT but most fail to realize that he was only 20yrs old from a small college when drafted (injured) last year. He's definitely got speed and, in my opinion, showed up in preseason this year. And because he was drafted INJURED last year, he did NOT have the benefit of OTA's and Training Camp last year which is normally good for 1,500 reps. With this year's NFL STRIKE, he got maybe 500 reps and some preseason snaps but he was still only 21yrs old. Next year (after a full season of strength training with Woicik), he'll be 22yrs old and MORE stronger, faster, and 'instinctive' with the benefit of 1,500 snaps after participating in OTA's and Training Camp. I believer both AOA and Mario Butler (who's only 185lbs) will come back 'changed' players with more muscle and explosiveness. They will BOTH be competing next year for either starting or backup roles. And, we all know that both Sensabaugh and Elam have ONLY 1yr contracts and TNEW is probably gone after this year.

If your going to base your whole little lament/apologetic around AOA's age, at least get it right.

AOA was born 4/10/1988, and the '10 Draft was in late April, that made AOA 22-years old at the time he was drafted.

He's 23 now.

Sorta takes the wind out of your sails doesn't it?

Start your backpedal............now.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
hornitosmonster;4085924 said:
nickeatman Nick Eatman
Cowboys to sign WR Andre Holmes to practice squad. Rookie from Hillsdale was cut by Vikings. Came to Ranch on a pre-draft visit in April.

Sweet........

Eskimo

Reaction score
SDogo;4086331 said:
Sweet........

Another pet cat of yours?

I looked at his combine results and he seems like he has good size, speed (4.53), vertical (35), broad jump, 3-cone drill.

He come from a really small school (? Hillsdale).

SDogo

Reaction score
Eskimo;4086346 said:
Another pet cat of yours?

I looked at his combine results and he seems like he has good size, speed (4.53), vertical (35), broad jump, 3-cone drill.

He come from a really small school (? Hillsdale).

Yes he was: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3934136&postcount=12

Also Hillsdale is one of the schools I was assigned to for the last 3 years so I had a lot of opportunities to see him play.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;4085678 said:
Another young guy I want to see get some seasoning!!

Can I get me some Manny Johnson!!!!

This is the stuff that really makes me laugh.

SDogo

Reaction score
Eskimo;4086367 said:
Did you have any idea that that Tackle, Veldeheer, was going to be so good so quickly?

Actually I was kind of surprised by it.

I figured he was a 3 year developmental guy but he really settled in after his 3rd game. He still has a lot of technical work to do, he gets by right now with his athletic ability but one of his strongest attributes is his work ethic and intelligence so I have no doubt he's going to be a hell of a OT in this league.

SDogo

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4086364 said:
Well let's have your scouting report.

Bio: Three year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season and named to numerous all-American teams the past two years. Senior receiving totals included 104/1368/11, after junior totals of 77/1076/6.

Positive: Nice sized receiver that dominated the lower level of competition he played at. Quickly releases off the line, comes back to the ball and works to make himself an available target. Extends his hands, offers the quarterback a nice target and looks the ball in. Effectively follows blocks running after the catch, shows strength handling the ball and the ability to pick up positive yardage. Nicely tracks to the deep ball and makes the difficult, over the shoulder reception in stride. Gets up in a crowd or makes the tough catch with defenders draped on him. Consistent hand catcher that shows a large degree of reliability.

Negative: Shows a marginal burst to his game and not a vertical receiver. Average route runner that tends to drift after exiting breaks. Marginal quickness transitioning from making the catch to running after the reception.

Analysis: Holmes was a terrific small school receiver that continually overmatched the competition he played against. He struggled running routes at the combine yet has the size and speed as well as the pass catching skills necessary to be a fourth or fifth receiver in the NFL once he gets accustomed to the competition.

Short version for ya

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SDogo;4086379 said:
Actually I was kind of surprised by it.

I figured he was a 3 year developmental guy but he really settled in after his 3rd game. He still has a lot of technical work to do, he gets by right now with his athletic ability but one of his strongest attributes is his work ethic and intelligence so I have no doubt he's going to be a hell of a OT in this league.

hey sdogo, glad to have you back buddy

SDogo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4086395 said:
hey sdogo, glad to have you back buddy

Thanks Joe, hope everything is well with you.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
natesboys051;4086280 said:
Funny how a lot of guys were hating and hoping for AOA to get CUT but most fail to realize that he was only 20yrs old from a small college when drafted (injured) last year. He's definitely got speed and, in my opinion, showed up in preseason this year. And because he was drafted INJURED last year, he did NOT have the benefit of OTA's and Training Camp last year which is normally good for 1,500 reps. With this year's NFL STRIKE, he got maybe 500 reps and some preseason snaps but he was still only 21yrs old. Next year (after a full season of strength training with Woicik), he'll be 22yrs old and MORE stronger, faster, and 'instinctive' with the benefit of 1,500 snaps after participating in OTA's and Training Camp. I believer both AOA and Mario Butler (who's only 185lbs) will come back 'changed' players with more muscle and explosiveness. They will BOTH be competing next year for either starting or backup roles. And, we all know that both Sensabaugh and Elam have ONLY 1yr contracts and TNEW is probably gone after this year.

I agree....think people were way to quick to discount this kid.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4086473 said:
I agree....think people were way to quick to discount this kid.

Right. What we think doesnt matter. The Cowboys "discounted" him by cutting him; as did the 31 other NFL teams that decided he wasn't worth even a practice squad roster spot.

I'm not rooting against kid at all, but folks need to realize he's at where he's at because the guys who get paid for this stuff have determined so.

BTW, AOA is 23, not 21 as the other poster incorrectly claimed

Eskimo

Reaction score
realtick;4086549 said:
The Cowboys "discounted" him by cutting him; as did the 31 other NFL teams that decided he wasn't worth even a practice squad roster spot.

That is pure speculation.

We only know that he passed through waivers so no other team claimed him. However, it is certainly possible that another team offered him the PS but he declined and chose to sign with us.

I think it is actually fairly uncommon for someone to end up on another team's PS after clearing waivers.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo;4086567 said:
That is pure speculation.

We only know that he passed through waivers so no other team claimed him. However, it is certainly possible that another team offered him the PS but he declined and chose to sign with us.

I think it is actually fairly uncommon for someone to end up on another team's PS after clearing waivers.

Hmmm, tell that to Andrew Sendejo, Josh Thomas, and Andre Holmes to name just a relevant few.

I got into this very same discussion last year with silverbear when talking about Brewster getting cut last season and passing through waivers and back onto the Cowboys' practice squad.

There is something plainly there to infer when a team cuts a player. The team is saying we have decided that you're worth the risk of losing.

Eskimo

Reaction score
realtick;4086587 said:
Hmmm, tell that to Andrew Sendejo, Josh Thomas, and Andre Holmes to name just a relevant few.

I got into this very same discussion last year with silverbear when talking about Brewster getting cut last season and passing through waivers and back onto the Cowboys' practice squad.

There is something plainly there to infer when a team cuts a player. The team is saying we have decided that you're worth the risk of losing.

That's not the issue - you claimed no one else offered him a spot on the practice squad which cannot be proven.

We only know that no one put him on their 53-man roster.