Twitter: Cowboys practice tweets - 09/09/2020

MikeB80

Reaction score
uh we been struggling pretty bad on special teams last year, hopefully this guy will fix it

that was last year. Last year is 100% on the Jones Family. They ran a lame duck head coach out there at the same time they fired their offensive coordinator and the special teams coach went to oakland because he could see the writing on the wall. Its hard to hire good coaches when the head coach has no contract after the current season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would suspect Ramsey will be matched up with Cooper most of the game. What is interesting in last years meeting none of the WR put up big numbers but Zeke and Pollard both went over 100 and Pollard had the biggest day of his career with 131 on 12 carries. Dallas destroyed the Rams. Donald in the game was a non factor and Rams were not able to get a single sack in the game.

MikeB80

Reaction score
1. DeCamllis was “meh”

2. Under JG special teams was an afterthought when it came to prioritizing it from a personnel standpoint. That is different already under MM

Nonsense. Decamillis unit helped win a couple of games in 11 & 12. Dwayne Harris had a couple of huge returns for TD's and to setup scores.

Special teams was never an after thought and its the kind of revisionist nonsense this place is over run with. Bisaccia was the assistant head coach and the players loved him.

This team won a lot of games with big time kicks and/or good special teams play setting up the offense. 2019 was a disaster and that season was 100% on the Jones family.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
that was last year. Last year is 100% on the Jones Family. They ran a lame duck head coach out there at the same time they fired their offensive coordinator and the special teams coach went to oakland because he could see the writing on the wall. Its hard to hire good coaches when the head coach has no contract after the current season.

ok, yeah I get it. My mind is solely on last year LOL

I do like Fassel, seems to be a real hands on coach. Think he will fix last years issues anyways.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm for letting him rest and give Wilson the start on game day.

If he needs it, but I don't believe the indication is that he needs rest. They gave him rest because they didn't want to run the risk of injury. They could do that every week essentially with his lower-body troubles.

If you know a veteran's hamstrings are tight, for instance, then why not sideline him for a week and work on his hamstrings rather than throw him out there in practice with the possibility of a pull? This appears to be what they've done with Cooper (not necessarily hamstring-related, though). Reel him in, warm him up and get him ready to go for Week 1. This might actually help him avoid some of those leg issues he's had in the past.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

ST coach went to Oakland because of his long relationship with Gruden

MikeB80

Reaction score
ST coach went to Oakland because of his long relationship with Gruden

Yes it was a perfect fit. He also was smart enough to know that a lame duck coach is a terrible situation. He had been here since 2013

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes it was a perfect fit. He also was smart enough to know that a lame duck coach is a terrible situation. He had been here since 2013
Jason Garrett made his own bed. And now hes in it. Why are people still defending this guy? 10 years of no success and its like we let go of BB or Payton.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Jason Garrett made his own bed. And now hes in it. Why are people still defending this guy? 10 years of no success and its like we let go of BB or Payton.

the comment was about Rich Bisaccia leaving because he understood the situation. Not sure how you are getting this as a defense of Jason Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the comment was about Rich Bisaccia leaving because he understood the situation. Not sure how you are getting this as a defense of Jason Garrett.

The part where you blame his departure solely on the Joneses attempting to absolve Garrett of any involvement.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Nonsense. Decamillis unit helped win a couple of games in 11 & 12. Dwayne Harris had a couple of huge returns for TD's and to setup scores.

Special teams was never an after thought and its the kind of revisionist nonsense this place is over run with. Bisaccia was the assistant head coach and the players loved him.

This team won a lot of games with big time kicks and/or good special teams play setting up the offense. 2019 was a disaster and that season was 100% on the Jones family.

Special teams rankings the last 10 years:

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 5th
2016 9th
2015 11th
2014 13th
2013 8th
2012 15th
2011 25th
2010 15th

Our average ranking over 10 years comes in at 16th. What do those numbers tell you? We are mediocre when it comes to ST play. It has not been a huge focus area and the numbers bear that out.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Special teams rankings the last 10 years:

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 5th
2016 9th
2015 11th
2014 13th
2013 8th
2012 15th
2011 25th
2010 15th

Our average ranking over 10 years comes in at 16th. What do those numbers tell you? We are mediocre when it comes to ST play. It has not been a huge focus area and the numbers bear that out.

honestly I don't know what these numbers mean because I do not know what is being ranked. We had an excellent kicker for most of the decade and an excellent punter for most of the decade. We had an excellent return man in Dwayne Harris up until 2015 and we had two excellent special teams coaches.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
honestly I don't know what these numbers mean because I do not know what is being ranked. We had an excellent kicker for most of the decade and an excellent punter for most of the decade. We had an excellent return man in Dwayne Harris up until 2015 and we had two excellent special teams coaches.

This site explains the ranking criteria and you can look up stats from any year:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/special-teams/2019