Cowboys Prospect - Mike MacDonald (HC) 36 Yrs Old

Gambit

Reaction score
And therein lies the problem. At some point the game passes even the best coaches by. Jerry would never take a chance on an unproven up and comer- and thus we’ll always get fair to middlin’
Garrett moore both say hello

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell ya.
I appreciate your kindness bro. Much respect.

I know. It sucks. I'm simply being realistic. No way Jerry gets rid of Dak and McCarthy after what they achieved together during the regular season.

Gambit

Reaction score
MacDonald is an interesting prospect. Certainly would advocate for some DTs

But if a change is made I'm fairly sure it will be for an offense minded HC

Big IF though.

If McCarthy was a Stephen hire like I suspect then firing him will be up to Stephen

stiletto

Reaction score
I appreciate your kindness bro. Much respect.

I know. It sucks. I'm simply being realistic. No way Jerry gets rid of Dak and McCarthy after what they achieved together during the regular season.
Couple things to keep in mind. Jerry's support of MM has been kind of Sketchy even the last couple weeks and I get the feeling he's never really liked making Dak a top tier guy. Not sure what is going to happen but I'd not be surprised to see some schocking changes

stiletto

Reaction score
My response was about Jerry not giving chances to young unknown up comers.
He did it with Garrett even though Garrett had done really nothing. I am sure we'll see another re-tread. 3-4 more years of Fool's Gold on deck.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Couple things to keep in mind. Jerry's support of MM has been kind of Sketchy even the last couple weeks and I get the feeling he's never really liked making Dak a top tier guy. Not sure what is going to happen but I'd not be surprised to see some schocking changes
It will be an interesting next couple of weeks for sure.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
With Brady..sure...
The more and more I think about it, we probably win a superbowl with Brady coming off of the patriots that first year. Clearly this team is missing mental toughness at the QB position and during the most critical time in these playoff games. Even at that point we had enough of a sample size to see dak just wasn't capable of getting over the hump.

Gambit

Reaction score
He did it with Garrett even though Garrett had done really nothing. I am sure we'll see another re-tread. 3-4 more years of Fool's Gold on deck.
I don't know. I think MM was a surprise candidate, and as I've said all along, it sure felt like it was Stephens pick and he had to sell Jerry on it.

Like I said I like MacDonald and his age and tenure isn't prohibitive for Jerry I don't think.

I just think Stephen thinks offense first. And he is going to have a huge voice in the room

SJRTX

Reaction score
Garrett moore both say hello
Please. Redball has been an extended member of the jones family forever. Jason got his shot after being a OC for Wade Phillips (Did wade want Jason as his OC or Jerry?) Jason was never an up an comer, he was being groomed by Jerry to be his guy.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't know. I think MM was a surprise candidate, and as I've said all along, it sure felt like it was Stephens pick and he had to sell Jerry on it.

Like I said I like MacDonald and his age and tenure isn't prohibitive for Jerry I don't think.

I just think Stephen thinks offense first. And he is going to have a huge voice in the room
We're at a bunch of stupid-dummies mercy who think they will make the right decision every-time because they've made SO MANY before. In reality it is us who are simps for expecting it all to go well.

Last edited:

Gambit

Reaction score
Please. Redball has been an extended member of the jones family forever. Jason got his shot after being a OC for Wade Phillips (Did wade want Jason as his OC or Jerry?) Jason was never an up an comer, he was being groomed by Jerry to be his guy.
Yet he was a young relative unknown.

Which is what my response to.

This isn't hard, the person who claimed Jerry wouldn't consider that was given 2 names to give evidence to the contrary.

CowboysFanLover

Reaction score
He does not have two Super Bowls. Hasnt won a playoffs game in 7 years, no thanks 8-8 / 9-8 does not impress me at all. He’s a long tenured Barry SWITZER. won with Cowhers team been average since. Exsct same resume as McCarthy there’s literally no upgrade there.
Tomlin did win 2 Super Bowls with the Buccaneers as assistant coach and Steelers as head coach

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Source:
The amazing -- Omar Navarro
Jr. Writer

1. Building the Baltimore defense
Macdonald's second season calling the plays for the Ravens has been even better than the first.
The 2022 season was his first as the defensive coordinator for Baltimore and the team finished eighth in the NFL in defensive DVOA.
But it went up another level this season.
The Ravens defense finished the regular season leading the league in points allowed per game (16.5), sacks (60) and takeaways (31), becoming the first team in NFL history to lead every category in a single season.
The advanced numbers were stellar, too. Baltimore finished seventh in success rate and third in EPA per play. By DVOA, the Ravens finished first in overall defense, first in pass defense and seventh in run defense this year.
Macdonald had the Ravens defense playing at an elite level, a big reason that Baltimore sits as the No. 1 seed in the AFC.
"[Macdonald] is a young, bright star in our league, and just like the players are executing at a high level, so is he," Pro Bowl safety Kyle Hamilton said. "And we don't do that without him and all the other people on the staff."

2. Long history with the Ravens
Macdonald has deep ties to Baltimore.

The 36-year-old started his NFL coaching career as a coaching intern with the team back in 2014. He would go on to become a defensive assistant from 2015 to 2016, before being promoted to defensive backs coach in 2017.
In his lone season as the DBs coach, Macdonald helped the Ravens defense lead the NFL in interceptions (22) and takeaways (34). They had three shutout performances, which were the most since 2003.
The following three seasons would see Macdonald move to the linebacker group where he coached Pro Bowl linebackers Matthew Judon (2019-20) and C.J. Mosley (2018).

Baltimore would continue to boast an impressive defense throughout that time period and Macdonald was in the middle of it all.

Baltimore Ravens new defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald answers questions during an NFL football news conference, Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, in Owings Mills, Md. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)

1 / 10

Baltimore Ravens new defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald answers questions during an NFL football news conference, Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2022, in Owings Mills, Md. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)

Gail Burton/Copyright {2022} The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald looks on during the first half of an NFL preseason football game between the Washington Commanders and the Baltimore Ravens, Monday, Aug. 21, 2023, in Landover, Md. The Commanders won 29-28. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

2 / 10

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald looks on during the first half of an NFL preseason football game between the Washington Commanders and the Baltimore Ravens, Monday, Aug. 21, 2023, in Landover, Md. The Commanders won 29-28. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
Julio Cortez/Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald looks on during pre-game warm-ups before a NFL preseason football game against the Tennessee Titans, Thursday, Aug 11, 2022, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Terrance Williams)
Terrance Williams/Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

3. Finding success at Michigan

Macdonald has been in Baltimore for the majority of his coaching career but his first opportunity to call the defensive plays was not with the Ravens.
He was named as the University of Michigan's defensive coordinator 2021 and help put together a special season for the Wolverines in his first time calling plays.
Michigan would make an appearance in the College Football Playoff in his only season there and the program also won the Big Ten Conference title for the first time since 2004.
Macdonald's defense being a big reason why.
The Wolverines ended the season with the No. 8 scoring defense (17.4 ppg) and finished the year ranked No. 3 in the country in yards allowed. Macdonald also helped Aidan Hutchinson set a Michigan school record with 14 sacks in a single season and become a Heisman finalist in 2021.

4. Starting in Georgia

Macdonald was not born in the state of Georgia, but went to high school there and later attended the University of Georgia.
He graduated summa cum laude with a finance degree from the Terry College of Business.
He joined the Georgia coaching staff as a graduate assistant in 2010, eventually moving up to become a defensive quality control assistant.

5. Getting his opportunity early

While he was a student at Georgia, Macdonald got his first experience with coaching at the high school level.
He began coaching high school football at Cedar Shoals High School in Athens from 2008 to 2009. Macdonald coached the linebackers and running backs and had success, even earning the staff's Coach of the Year award following his first season as a coach.
Typical Rooney Rule candidate.

SJRTX

Reaction score
Yet he was a young relative unknown.

Which is what my response to.

This isn't hard, the person who claimed Jerry wouldn't consider that was given 2 names to give evidence to the contrary.
He was unknown to US. Same with Kellen. When I talk about an unproven up and comer I’m talking about the Demeco Ryans of the world. Not former Cowboys that Jerry wanted to turn into pet projects.