Cowboys Prospect - Mike MacDonald (HC) 36 Yrs Old

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah he's won two, one with the Steelers but my point is that Tomlin hasn't missed the playoffs many times as HC. His teams will never show up like the game this evening for the Cowboys. Just a guy that came as a young coach and did great things. Would like that. I don't want a retread.
The chiefs beat the Steelers even worst in the playoffs a couple years ago. Steelers started 13-0 and it was an epic collapse. Dude is vastly overrated. Literally has the same resume as McCarthy he is no upgrade in anyway.

stiletto

Reaction score
The chiefs beat the Steelers even worst in the playoffs a couple years ago. Steelers started 13-0 and it was an epic collapse. Dude is vastly overrated. Literally has the same resume as McCarthy he is no upgrade in anyway.
I don't want Tomlin. But he took over Pittsburgh as a young coach that everyone was not sure about. He won a SB and made that team competitive (legitimately) most years. That's what I am looking for. Not Tomlin specifically. Why do you just want to argue and be hyper-focused?

Gambit

Reaction score
He was unknown to US. Same with Kellen. When I talk about an unproven up and comer I’m talking about the Demeco Ryans of the world. Not former Cowboys that Jerry wanted to turn into pet projects.
It's no different. He has given young unproven coaches a chance in the past. That's not prohibitive to him.

Whether or not you agree is of no consequence to me, and it's silly to continue to defend your stance. Just admit you misspoke and let it go man.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And therein lies the problem. At some point the game passes even the best coaches by. Jerry would never take a chance on an unproven up and comer- and thus we’ll always get fair to middlin’
We literally took chances on Kellen a Moore and 9 years of Garrett…..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't want Tomlin. But he took over Pittsburgh as a young coach that everyone was not sure about. He won a SB and made that team competitive (legitimately) most years. That's what I am looking for. Not Tomlin specifically. Why do you just want to argue and be hyper-focused?
At this point I’m for anyone who can get this team up for big games and not commit penalties. Because right now my head coach can’t seem to do either.

stiletto

Reaction score
At this point I’m for anyone who can get this team up for big games and not commit penalties. Because right now my head coach can’t seem to do either.
No problem, keep an open mind. NO MORE RETREAD coaches i my thinking. It's gonna be interesting.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No problem, keep an open mind. NO MORE RETREAD coaches i my thinking. It's gonna be interesting.
Realistically if Mike is fired I expect a retread honestly but yeah I would like a new voice. Personally I’d prefer an offensive minded coach but like I said the issues start with culture and discipline.

SJRTX

Reaction score
We literally took chances on Kellen a Moore and 9 years of Garrett…..
I’m referring to head coaches in particular. Jason had one good season play calling under Wade Phillips, and the moment things went bad Jerry fired Wade mid season and put Redball in. Jason was always a Jerry guy. And after the 2007 season Jason was getting a lot of HC offers and Jerry kept him from leaving but we all knew why.

We can argue that Jason was an “unproven” up and comer. But to Jerry he he proved himself in the 2007 season and the writing was on the wall after that.

My point is Jerry needs to hire someone he isnt familiar or comfortable with.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m referring to head coaches in particular. Jason had one good season play calling under Wade Phillips, and the moment things went bad Jerry fired Wade mid season and put Redball in. Jason was always a Jerry guy. And after the 2007 season Jason was getting a lot of HC offers and Jerry kept him from leaving but we all knew why.

We can argue that Jason was an “unproven” up and comer. But to Jerry he he proved himself in the 2007 season and the writing was on the wall after that.

My point is Jerry needs to hire someone he isnt familiar or comfortable with.
Jason never showed anything to warrant spending 9 years on him.

SJRTX

Reaction score
Jason never showed anything to warrant spending 9 years on him.
Well, what did he ever show to warrant spending the first year then? His 2007 season as Wades OC? Which is my point. Jason was and has always been a Jerry guy. Jerry held on to Jason way longer than he should have because it was personal with them. I think I remember Jerry shedding a tear letting Jason go, after he could no longer ignore almost a decade of mediocrity. But they go way back, to the 90s. Jason was never some hot shot Jerry took a chance on though. He literally cherry picked him because of their history

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, what did he ever show to warrant spending the first year then? His 2007 season as Wades OC? Which is my point. Jason was and has always been a Jerry guy. Jerry held on to Jason way longer than he should have because it was personal with them. I think I remember Jerry shedding a tear letting Jason go, after he could no longer ignore almost a decade of mediocrity. But they go way back, to the 90s. Jason was never some hot shot Jerry took a chance on though. He literally cherry picked him because of their history
I don’t disagree I’m just saying he’s done it before. He took a chance on Garrett he should take a chance on a young guy but he won’t.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate your kindness bro. Much respect.

I know. It sucks. I'm simply being realistic. No way Jerry gets rid of Dak and McCarthy after what they achieved together during the regular season.
We‘ll see about that.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Why would Baltimore give him permission to interview for DC? Teams can block coaches from making lateral moves.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry won't hire a first time HC. He wants a guy with ecperience and skins on the wall. A decade of Jason Garrett has seen to that.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I like Macdonald, and if we are replacing the HC, would want a defensive guy. This team is weak and everytime we get punched, we lay down. For too long our identity has been offense, and it's got us nowhere.