News: Cowboys ranked 1 in talent under 25 in 2022

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I really don't get this talent evaluation and just how qualified are Football OUTSIDERS?

If this was the GM's and scouting departments of all the teams then OK, I'll buy that but I look at this team and see holes.

There are just a few players that are consensual top 10's and too many that are at this point, jags.

On defense alone, they have one maybe top 10 DE in Lawrence, for sure LB with Parsons and a high risk/high reward CB who better come close to duplicating his thefts last season. The rest, all promise.

On offense, they have a QB at around 7 and other than LT and RG, no one else breaks the top 10. LG and RT are unknown as is the WR corps.

They can't even find a PK. So, tell me, where is all this talent? They did a nice job of hiding it in their only playoff game last season.
This is just talent under the age of 25… so, DeMarcus Lawrence, Prescott, Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and others that you are talking about, aren’t even eligible for this list.

This is something that ESPN has done for years now, and basically it measures how well a team is drafting… not how much they’ll win or lose.

It isn’t important and is just another thing for people to read, but it is interesting because it is a fairly accurate gauge of how a team is drafting. Teams that rely more heavily on free agency than the draft won’t do well in this particular ranking because those players are typically 25 years old or older.

So, all this is telling us is that Dallas has been drafting pretty well for the last few years, which is nice to know. It isn’t saying Dallas is the most talented team in the NFL, which I suppose is what you thought? It also isn’t telling us that they’ll win a playoff game. They’re simply saying that Dallas has the most talent under the age of 25, period.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who picked those players? Who coaches them?

Players don't draft/hire themselves, and this team hasn't done anything in the playoffs since the 90s. The problem isn't the players.

It’s been the coaching and the players but those who are giving the players a pass and are putting all the blame on the coaching and Jerry are wrong. It’s been pretty obvious in the big games that our OL and DL are getting manhandled.

Reactions: BAT

Ken

Reaction score
On one side of the scale is 26 straight years of losing under this front office.

On the other side is this article.

Congrats on your victory.
It never ceases to amaze me the new and innovative ways you guys say the same thing.

Amazing.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wait wait wait...woah woah woah....

I was told here that the Cowboys have no idea what they are doing????
I was 19 when they last made it as far as an nfccg. I'm closing in on retirement. There's a lot of evidence to back up the idea they have no idea what they're doing.

Ken

Reaction score
Like saying "This is our year!" for a quarter of a century and never being less wrong than the year before?
No one is saying that though?

Just saying we have a chance if everything breaks right.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is saying that though?

Just saying we have a chance if everything breaks right.

LOL. He's trying to make it less wrong.

I strive to be as creative as someone saying the same thing for the last 27 years.

Ken

Reaction score
LOL. He's trying to make it less wrong.

I strive to be as creative as someone saying the same thing for the last 27 years.
It is just hilarious that you think you are making some profound statement saying we haven't won anything in 27 years.

We ALL know that already.

I also know the Sun will set this evening and it will be dark.

Are you just trying to get your post count up or something?

birdwells1

Reaction score
The problem with evaluations like this is they are based on individual players while football is a team sport.

An "above average" player who makes 2-3 other players around him a lot better can be worth more to a team than one star player.

I am not saying teams should not have star players, but having star players alone does not define a team's talent level.

For example, having two #1 receivers or running backs sounds amazing, but it means they will share the receptions and carries which means the team is not getting the full benefit of their talent.

I realize these types of stories are just meant to be interesting stats, but I think fans get caught up sometimes in believing the storylines even though they are not factually accurate when all of the factors are considered.

I really think that a team should have a youth but I think that it's overvalued. The Cowboys have been having some of the youngest rosters in the league for over 10 years or so and what has it got them? I think when you have a young good roster then you should add key veterans from other teams to not only help in areas of need but also with teaching the young players how to be a pro and how to win. The Cowboys have done well in the draft but free agency is where they have failed this team. No team wins off of drafts alone.

CWR

Reaction score
Most years, Football Outsiders' rankings of teams with the most talent under 25 years old are settled by the value of their young quarterbacks. But 2022 is different.

Joe Burrow just led the Bengals on an unexpected Super Bowl run in his second season. But after entering the league at 24 years old, Burrow already graduated from consideration in this exercise.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...-25-talent-2022-best-worst-core-young-players

Bwahahahaha, suck it Joe Burrow.

CWR

Reaction score
How many years have we heard the talent level in Dallas is top notch? What are the annual results?

Clearly you haven't seen my collection of "Cowboys Run the East" t-shirts.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We are always ranked high in our talent under 25.

It never goes anywhere because they don’t sign older free agents to bring experience and fill gaps. And then once the talented young guys gets older, they eventually get overpaid or leave.

Having a young squad is great. Sure. But it has to actually mean something on the field with wins in the playoffs.

I remember back in the day when our team was generally the oldest team in the league, for several years. Because, at that time, the Cowboys, and Jerry, valued experience over youth.

Think back to when Emmitt wore out his welcome here with many objective fans, including myself. He just wasn't very good.

During the last decade they have valued youth. But that hasn't always been the case.

GMO415

Reaction score
Daks going to be just another Romo. We need a Danny White at least.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me the new and innovative ways you guys say the same thing.

Amazing.
Right!! Dudes full on having a 20 post cry fest in pre-season about effort even though Jerry pointed out he needed guys to show up when it mattered as reasons for moving on from Amari and Randy.
Hilarious!!!!!!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It is just hilarious that you think you are making some profound statement saying we haven't won anything in 27 years.

We ALL know that already.

I also know the Sun will set this evening and it will be dark.

Are you just trying to get your post count up or something?

I mean, that was pretty creative.