Cowboys re-sign Free **merged**

bigE79

Reaction score
Hostile;4008816 said:
Smith is an athletic freak. I predict he will have this entire forum salivating like the days of Big E by week 4.

Yeah, he'll make some rookie mistakes and knee jerkers will proclaim him a liability, but once he gets his sea legs he will dominate people. I backwards 4 to 5 yards per run play. Highlights of him will show him hitting 2 and sometimes even 3 guys on one play if he has momentum.
Hey hos,there is only one Big E:laugh2:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile;4008816 said:
Smith is an athletic freak. I predict he will have this entire forum salivating like the days of Big E by week 4.

Yeah, he'll make some rookie mistakes and knee jerkers will proclaim him a liability, but once he gets his sea legs he will dominate people. I watch a lot of Pac-10 football and he hits people 10 to 20 yards downfield on a regular basis and usually drives his guy backwards 4 to 5 yards per run play. Highlights of him will show him hitting 2 and sometimes even 3 guys on one play if he has momentum.

Smith is the OT version of Ware. I am completely with you there. He has no real peers athletically. I am fairly certain he'd outrun Marion Barber and Jason Witten in the 40. He was often down field as you note and well ahead of the world class running backs USC recruited. Plus the guy could be a bodybuilder if he wanted. He is already insanely lean at over 310 pounds.

I am not sure he'll end up like Erik Williams though. For that you have to genuinely want to hurt people every play and I seldom see that from anyone.

Again, I love the Free deal because you can let Free walk in 4 years if the cost is too high without more dead cap money. Our can maneuvering this week will hurt yea but this signing screams that we have learned a lesson there. The old days of 6 year deals that revert to 3 or 4 are hopefully done.
The salary cap is a budget and we treat it as such.

Jed_70

Reaction score
Glad to see this deal get done. Hopefully we have our bookends in place for the next 7-10 years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like that it's only 4 years. By the time the Cowboys have to pay Tyron Smith top LT money, Free's contract will be coming off the books.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Smith being able to outrun Barber or Witten is not exactly a hard thing to do.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hostile;4008816 said:

Yeah, he'll make some rookie mistakes and knee jerkers will proclaim him a liability, but once he gets his sea legs he will dominate people. I watch a lot of Pac-10 football and he hits people 10 to 20 yards downfield on a regular basis and usually drives his guy backwards 4 to 5 yards per run play. Highlights of him will show him hitting 2 and sometimes even 3 guys on one play if he has momentum.

I'm with you on this. We may see Smith and Free in the same pro bowl one day.

Smith is a freak tho. I can't wait to watch this dude play.