RELEASED Cowboys Release DE Benson Mayowa

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I can a

I can almost hear the castinets with their percussion and the poets of Madrid and Barcelona reciting their newest epics of Moorish conquests and windmills on the horizon. Oh, its the literary life for me, fair playmates and willing señoritas.
I happen to be listening to Spanish Flamenco as we type...

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The Cowboys front office believes every turd they polish will turn out to be a diamond........................................

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys front office believes every turd they polish will turn out to be a diamond........................................
Here is a news flash for you.....every team does. That's why they sign these guys.

Carter

Reaction score
This dude should have never gotten more than Vet Minimum.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
:clap:
Well done, lad. So true.
Tell me, ruffian, do you think that was Jimmy's genius? That is, going through so many bargain bins to uncover the diamonds in the rough (or players hungry enough to do what Jimmy wanted)?

I think it had a lot to do with it. Johnson stockpiled draft picks like a hoarder. We had 18 in 1991 (and around 8 or 9 turned out to be contributors) and 15 in 1992 (and about five turned out to be good players). Even in his first year, he had 15 picks in the 12-round draft (hitting on five). The strange exception was in 1990 when we only ended up with five picks (and at least got four contributors — Emmitt Smith, Alexander Wright, Jimmie Jones and Kenneth Gant).

Because of so many draft picks and free agency not being what it is today, Johnson didn't have to dumpster dive as much as is necessary now. He could be a little more picky, but still did a good job of supplementing through trades and acquisitions. Players like Issiac Holt, James Washington and Alfredo Roberts come to mind. Jay Novacek was one of his greatest bargain bin acquisitions after being left unprotected by Arizona in Plan B free agency. Johnson got several contributors using that early form of free agency and trades.