RELEASED Cowboys Release DE Benson Mayowa

glimmerman

Reaction score
Y’all laugh but we may be setting up for a real FA move. Freeing up money for something. Next we will restructure Dez contract. Got some more moves to make. Scandy next. Maybe getting ready to make a offer for Irving. Haven’t tendered him yet.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Good move! Clean the basement first. It's where all the junk is stored. For all you bashers, Irving was a dumpster dive too, from the Chiefs. Some work some don't move on and that's exactly what we did. Next!

CowboyChris

Reaction score
not sure what to make of this move...I thought Mayowa was decent, if anything he was depth, if they want to get me excited they should cut that bum Crawford.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed this is mostly Stephen but the signing of JAG players with alleged high SPARQ ratings coincides with McClay's rising up the ranks.

He's done nothing here that makes me think he should be extended. He's either a part of the bad evaluations or he's not objecting to them. he is the Assistant Director of Player Personnel and a good chunk of our personnel is suspect.

My finger of blame goes to yet another Garrett - Judd. He was formerly the Director of Pro Scouting. Scouting the players on the other 31 teams. While he was in charge, we were signing guys like this and the Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carrolls of the world.

Alex Loomis is now the guy in charge of that area sand hopefully the results will improve.

But the curse of the Garrett family remains.

kento40

Reaction score
Eh, JAG or not, they are at least freeing up space and I'm good with that.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Y’all laugh but we may be setting up for a real FA move. Freeing up money for something. Next we will restructure Dez contract. Got some more moves to make. Scandy next. Maybe getting ready to make a offer for Irving. Haven’t tendered him yet.
As much as I like that they are cutting bait - a little bit. We used all our money against the cap with Lawrence $17.1 million and we had like $ 17.4.
So all this does is give us some operating capitol. Have to do some restructures - Ugh - if we want to be players in FA. Why we needed to actually sign Lawrence to an extension to be active. As long as we only do a couple of restructures, we will continue to be dumpster divers in the free agent market.
Hence all the angst at this FO.
I hope all the happy fans read this, cause that's what your getting - again.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Yep won't be at all surprised to see Scandy cut loose. Freddy and Dez are next for restructuring. Then a Martin deal that will lower his sizable cap hit of $9.4 mill in 2018.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Right. You would think he signed a 100 million dollar deal lol....

That being said, clearing up 2 million in space can really hope.
We gave him $8.25M, $3.3M guaranteed, for a guy with 23 career tackles and 2 sacks. It was not a good signing. It reeks of the failed recent trend to be clever instead of signing talented football players who make us better.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
As much as I like that they are cutting bait - a little bit. We used all our money against the cap with Lawrence $17.1 million and we had like $ 17.4.
So all this does is give us some operating capitol. Have to do some restructures - Ugh - if we want to be players in FA. Why we needed to actually sign Lawrence to an extension to be active. As long as we only do a couple of restructures, we will continue to be dumpster divers in the free agent market.
Hence all the angst at this FO.
I hope all the happy fans read this, cause that's what your getting - again.
A 17.4 mill hit today but a contract before July 16 could decrease that considerably. Why so glum chum

cern

Reaction score
he had his moments, but they were few.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when people gave McClay all kinds of praise for being creative and plucking him off the Raiders' roster?

Good times.

I don't recall anyone thinking of the Mayowa signing as a big deal - a rotational pass rusher with some hope there was upside he didn't get to fulfill in Oakland.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We gave him $8.25M, $3.3M guaranteed, for a guy with 23 career tackles and 2 sacks. It was not a good signing. It reeks of the failed recent trend to be clever instead of signing talented football players who make us better.

It was a bad signing yes but you wanted to see what he had. That's free agency. If he ended up being a stud no one would care what he got signed for. You swing and then you missed. Doesn't mean you stop swinging.