Twitter: Cowboys restructure Witten's contract

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Maybe 2019 also with his contract now.
Next year Wit will have a cap hit north of $7.5M and a dead cap hit of $3.5M if he is not with the team. The Cowboys will have over $15M in restructured bonus money on the books in 2019 (as of today). The two SB teams have a cumulative restructured bonus cost of $7M in 2019.The Raiders and Skins, for comparison sake, have $zero.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Not liking this only because if he isn't here much longer we will be eating dead money again.

I like the Fleming move and the other moves so far. I just was hoping they would create space aside from wittens contract

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

The Cowboys have restructured the contract of 11-time Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, creating roughly $3.5 million in salary cap space, according to sources. Witten is the second contract the Cowboys have re-worked in the last week, along with Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick, which created nearly $7 million in cap room.

For reals, petulant fan?
If so, someone somewhere lit a fire under Stephen.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Next year Wit will have a cap hit north of $7.5M and a dead cap hit of $3.5M if he is not with the team. The Cowboys will have over $15M in restructured bonus money on the books in 2019 (as of today). The two SB teams have a cumulative restructured bonus cost of $7M in 2019.The Raiders and Skins, for comparison sake, have $zero.
Not sure what you mean......only OScan has any Dead Money and it is only 1.6m

But we also have 68m in cap space before any cuts or restructures......If we need space it will be even easier to create

ps - The Eagles have 724k in space next year

fansince68

Reaction score
So...why cut Dez pay instead of a restructure? Personally I feel both he and Witten have had a gradual decline in performance over the last few seasons.

fansince68

Reaction score
This restructure potentially does hurt....he was getting paid too much already but he had no dead money. If they did the usual and cut his salary to 1m and made the rest a SB it just adds dead money down the road.

I know, I know....it all gets accounted for at some point, but they could have just told him take a pay cut to 2-3m or hit the road and saved cap space and not put dead money out there.
Kinda like they may do with Dez. Both should be asked to take a pay cut for the sake of improving the team. I will really be upset if we restructure Crawfords..contract.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
And we will restructure his contract again to sign someone we want and he will keep on keppin on and playing

fansince68

Reaction score
If he takes a pay cut they still have to restructure the contract.

Restructure doesn't have to mean more dead money.
Restructuring a contract involves changing the method of payment that equals to satisfying an "agreed upon" amount. The can be NO pay cut in this situation . Reworking a contract can allow for an "agreeded upon" cut or reduction in pay.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean......only OScan has any Dead Money and it is only 1.6m

But we also have 68m in cap space before any cuts or restructures......If we need space it will be even easier to create

ps - The Eagles have 724k in space next year
I am looking at the restructured money that has been deferred to future years. This has long been an issue for the Cowboys and it seems there is no end in sight with players like Martin, Zeke, DLaw, Irving and Dak all in line for big paydays in the coming year or two.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2019/

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I can't even look at those sites anymore. Seeing how the money breaks down is depressing. All I see is a salary cap consumed by the failed attempts of the past to "win now".

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Restructuring a contract involves changing the method of payment that equals to satisfying an "agreed upon" amount. The can be NO pay cut in this situation . Reworking a contract can allow for an "agreeded upon" cut or reduction in pay.
I wasn't insinuating we could just arbitrarily reduce his salary. Of course he would have to agree to it.

This smells like a Jerry, loyal to a fault move.