Twitter: Cowboys restructure Witten's contract

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the respect of a great part, but do you forget what he used to be able to do & what he can't do anymore? Feelings don't win Ships just ask the Pats...

He’s not the player he was. But he’s still an above average TE that defenses respect. And he’s still better than the other TEs on the roster.

We could upgrade in the draft, but t would cost a high pick better spent elsewhere.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Not sure this isn't like pre-ordering a new sit of tires now for next year when your not sure whether the car will still be in the garage or broke down on the side of the road.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Restructured as kicked the can down a couple years, or in cutting his salary? If it is pushing his money down the road then I am against it. That is barganing future players for today and never works out, ever. Still paying Tony freaking Romo.......I hate that this is how Jerry works. It is why he is always struggling with cap space...

Gameover

Reaction score
Have it on good authority that both Mark Cuban and Jerry Jones are trying to iron out long term deals that will keep Jason Witten and Dirk N on their respective teams for rest of this century

Last edited:

Gameover

Reaction score
He’s not the player he was. But he’s still an above average TE that defenses respect. And he’s still better than the other TEs on the roster.

We could upgrade in the draft, but t would cost a high pick better spent elsewhere.
Might as well do it now. Why wait until you absolutely have too. Roster is good. Drafting a TE in third won’t break the Cowboys season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Restructured as kicked the can down a couple years, or in cutting his salary? If it is pushing his money down the road then I am against it. That is barganing future players for today and never works out, ever. Still paying Tony freaking Romo.......I hate that this is how Jerry works. It is why he is always struggling with cap space...
They just converted part of his 2018 salary into a bonus. He was going to get the salary anyway.

If they create 3.5M of space and then roll over 3.5M of cap space into 2019 then the rollover offsets the dead money if he is cut after this season and it's break-even.

If they use the 3.5M on an OLineman that I'll call player X, and then cut Witten after the season, that extra 3.5M of dead-money will be attached to Witten's name but in reality should be attached to player X's name because that is what it was spent on.

Aven8

Reaction score
Good grief this is a bad idea........

Dez is gone folks. Only contract they haven't touched in 2 years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might as well do it now. Why wait until you absolutely have too. Roster is good. Drafting a TE in third won’t break the Cowboys season

Because a thrived round TE is unlikely to be an upgrade and because we need the first and second round picks to get better on defense.

Gameover

Reaction score
Because a thrived round TE is unlikely to be an upgrade and because we need the first and second round picks to get better on defense.

Get him ready to take over for when Witten does retire. Saves you from having to use a first when it happens.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
They just converted part of his 2018 salary into a bonus. He was going to get the salary anyway.

If they create 3.5M of space and then roll over 3.5M of cap space into 2019 then the rollover offsets the dead money if he is cut after this season and it's break-even.

If they use the 3.5M on an OLineman that I'll call player X, and then cut Witten after the season, that extra 3.5M of dead-money will be attached to Witten's name but in reality should be attached to player X's name because that is what it was spent on.
Thanks for clarifying this deal. It makes sense now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Witten was tied with two other tight ends for 15th place in average annual value at his position.

And pushing $3.5M in potential dead money into future years will do absolutely nothing to Dallas' ability to manage its salary cap going forward.

This is peanuts.
What a great answer!!!!!!!!!!

visionary

Reaction score

I used to be in this camp until last season but it is now clear that we need speed and RAC from the TE position and Witten does neither

We need a legit top end TE

Wittens snaps need to be cut drastically but our HC does not have any balls

jblaze2004

Reaction score
still can't believe we gave witten a big contract extension around this time LAST YEAR when he was 34 years old and showing his age.