Twitter: Cowboys Roster isn’t as good as some believe

InTheZone

Reaction score
Sure the defense has it's issues, but I guarantee you if Dak did what he's supposed to be doing we're sitting at 9+ wins and all of the talk we've had over the weeks is silenced. Sure this team may not have the best players at all positions, but the key components are massively derailing any potential.

edit: for the simpletons that only think I'm blaming Dak, I'm not.

EJK24

Reaction score
The defense is way less talented than some people were thinking. I was surprised going into the year how many people were talking about how great the Defense was when late last year they were exposed by both the Colts & the Rams & the blueprint was out.

Bottom line.

Defense- Not good....Really need run stuffing DT's. LB play would improve as a result.
Special Teams- Not Good
Coaching- Not Good
Offense- Good.... Not great.... Average QB. And Jarwin should be playing more.

all this equals 6-6.

I would just add our secondary has been below average at best. They have no ability to force turnovers and that is my biggest problem with this defense as a whole.

They need better play at the DT position but I bet if we were creating turnovers and giving our offense favorable field position, you could live with some of the other things. An ok run defense that was taking the ball away seems alot more bearable then getting gashed AND allowing the QB to throw the ball with DB's who never look for the ball.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Before the season started, I thought this team had the makings of a very good team. I didn't like the coaches. Either the talent isn't there or the players failed to perform like they should have. I put it more on the players playing beneath their talent.

They have 4 games left to turn it around. Hopefully, they will. Still my team, win or lose. Still my team, whether Garrett is the HC or someone else is.

conner01

Reaction score
So 3 all pro offensive Iinemen and a RT playing better than those guys
A 2 time rushing leader in his 4 years
A pro bowl alternate qb
A HOF Te
A top 10 wr

A top 3 paid de
Another de that has made numerous pro bowls
3 good linebackers
A pro bowl cb in Jones

Yeah, we lack talent......
Talent isn’t the problem
Playing up to that talent is

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dak has been in the league for 4 seasons. How many more years does he get before he is an elite qb? I think what we see is what were going to continue to get at this point, hence are sub par record.
If you think Dak becoming Elite is going to be the team's panacea...

LOL!

I'm sorry... I meant:
HA HA HA HAAAHAAHAHAHAAA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
My bud asked me -“if coaching was the magic solution to all the problems, how did a man like Switzer walk in and take the cowboys to a super bowl “

I said the roster was super talented.

He replied so “roster trumps coaching?”

I said get outta my house man

Cebrin

Reaction score
D Line is way overrated, and so is our O line. Coaching can't even be overrated, because it's been crap for 10 years.

Satchel89

Reaction score
It is overrated...The Coaching has sucked but the Linebackers haven't been good all year...I'm not saying the Safeties are great but The Corners have been just as bad. Awuzie has been so painful to watch and the O-Line isn't as great as we always hear they are. I'm not blaming Dak for everything but he makes some bad decisions and throws too. They are like their record....Average

sean10mm

Reaction score
The Cowboys talent is overrated every single year. They always have some names that are heavily hyped in the media, and fans (falsely) interpret your players being talked about in the media as meaning your entire team is really good. But that's not so.

That said, nobody in the NFL has overwhelming talent every year anymore. The gap between "dominance" and "mediocrity" in the 21st century league is razor thin, which has made quality coaching that much more critical, and the Cowboys haven't had it since Parcells got burned out.

RS12

Reaction score
Do I think the talent is overrated every year. Of course, almost always. But what do think their record would've if Belichick were coach. I am thinking in the 9 to 10 win range in this week division and I ll guarantee you he would he figured a way to plug the run defense by now.

Noclaf

Reaction score
A pro bowl alternate qb
A HOF Te
A top 10 wr

A top 3 paid de
3 good linebackers
A pro bowl cb in Jones

Oline is no where near pro bowl leves, the RB has lost his burst, the TE is about as old as I am, the DE has 5 god darn sacks!!! ROFL Jerry got screwed hard on that contract. 3 good lb OMG what games have you been watching, they all suck, Jones cant intercept a ball if it was handed to him

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A momma with ugly kids never sees it. To her, they're all beautiful.

BigTx66

Reaction score
A pro bowl alternate qb
A HOF Te
A top 10 wr

A top 3 paid de
3 good linebackers
A pro bowl cb in Jones

Let's see: Tyron Smith is only all pro because of his name....hasn't been anywhere near that level in several years, except for incurring penalties; Frederick hasn't played up to his former level; Martin seems more and more beat up and hurt where he can't play up to his former dominance. Dak has promise as he has shown, but still not making all the best decisisions, far from a Pro Bowl QB. Witten is absolutely not capable of any YAC.....you get what you get with him, but I agree he is in the HOF, just not capable of helping move the sticks much anymore. Cooper is definitely a top 10 WR, but is beat to heck and is having troubles just making it on the field. Lawrence is an overpaid bust and hasn't lived up to his lofty paycheck ....a good player but not superstar; Jaylon Smith has played terribly this year...why, who knows? Van der Esch has the Jaylon Smith performance disease....play has been awful; Lee is a warrior but his speed and skill sets are waning. Jones is back to his previous years' habits of letting whomever catch the ball on him, then being close enough to make the tackle....not a pro bowl level.

So, while the team has some decent talent and skill players, they are .500 at this time of the year and it tells us exactly what they are...a mediocre team with no expectations for anything to change during the rest of the season.

ESisback

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s necessarily one thing, but little slivers of a whole bunch of things. Our ST are horrible, and the in game adjustments by Garrett and his staff have been below average. JAGS at DT and S with an antiquated gap scheme. Throw in a knack for drawing a drive killing penalty at precisely the wrong time (kinda like the exact opposite of the Steelers), and you’ve got a 6-6 mass of BLAH!

Frozen700

Reaction score
It will only get worse if we break the bank on Dak

#DontpayDak