Cowboys Rumors: 'More Progress' Made for Dak Prescott Contract Than Amari Cooper

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just my own guess I think Dak will get signed at 28.5 and Cooper at 16 mill a year. I think Zeke contract will wait until next season at that time big contract like Dak will get restructured to help free up money for Zeke.
The cat keeps increasing I believe. So why not sign these guys to long-term deals and let the increase handle some of the inflation. Does that sound logical

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The cat keeps increasing I believe. So why not sign these guys to long-term deals and let the increase handle some of the inflation. Does that sound logical

To an extent your right but I think there will be some other contract within the next couple of years they will contend with. While the cap does increase I don't know if the increase will be enough given some key FA we will be dealing with this year as well as the following year or 2. It just seems to be an option for teams to use restructuring of the contract to free up space, We did it Romo contract and Tyron Smith. Given the money that DLaw signed for, what is expected Dak will get and Cooper I would think some restructuring will need to take place to get Zeke and some others who will be making their way to FA

zerofill

Reaction score
How many of those other top paid QBs make millions on the side in endorsements? He could be the Jets QB... So I would suggest he ponders that as well, during contract negotiations.

Brax

Reaction score
LOL.......No pal, all QB's need great players around them. Thats how the NFL and the position works. The fact that you dont understand this simple point shows how little you understand the game.

The important part is....................what does a QB do when he does have talent around him. And we have seen quite clearly that Dak excels, even as a rookie, even as a young QB.

The only things average or below average about Dak have been:

-His head coach
-His scheme
-the play calling
-The Oline play the last 2 years
-The WR's
-The TE's

And Ironically, its not guys like me that say "its never Daks fault", its the trolls like you that laughably say "its always Daks fault".

-Dak has issues in that he is young
-Dak has issues in that he has never had to be a pocket passer in his career
-Dak has issues in getting the ball out at times

Those are the things that are Daks fault. All of which are temporary issues.

And look you just got proven dead wrong again. I hope you enjoy another 5 years of our young franchise QB leading our team. :lmao::lmao2::lmao2:
The wrong one is you, I have never said it's all Dak's fault yet you just said
-His head coach
-His scheme
-the play calling
-The Oline play the last 2 years
-The WR's
-The TE's
so Basically just about everyone else sucks but Dak, your not a troll your a simpleton then you give some more excuses to try and defend him.
So again you agree Dak is average at this point and needs a HOF cast around him.
I notice you have a crystal ball and see the future also "All of which are temporary issues" thanks for letting us know.
Hope your right because for the next 5 years or so he will be trying to fix all those" temporary issues" he hasn't fixed in the last 3 years.
Enjoy the season don't be shocked if Dak fails again, remember he just has " temporary issues" he can fix (remember you see that in your crystal ball) hopefully he is working hard trying to correct his short comings. Can't wait to watch the games this year and see all this greatness and improvement he's working on in the games. Can't discuss with a rock so over and out.
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1zE7BBbdTLEBhCNw8XcZTMLyeWuq6Dh8Yed6hgUhjaX3xSyVh

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The wrong one is you, I have never said it's all Dak's fault yet you just said
-His head coach
-His scheme
-the play calling
-The Oline play
-The WR's
-The TE's
so Basically just about everyone else sucks but Dak, your not a troll your a simpleton then you give somemore excuses to try and defend him.
So again you agree Dak is average at this point and needs a HOF cast around him.
I notice you have a crystal ball and see the future also "All of which are temporary issues" thanks for letting us know.
Hope your right because for the next 5 years or so he will be trying to fix all those" temporary issues" he hasn't fixed in the last 3 years.
Enjoy the season don't be shocked if Dak fails again, remember he just has " temporary issues" he can fix (remember you see that in your crystal ball) hopefully he is working hard trying to correct his short comings. Can't wait to watch the games this year and see all this greatness and improvement he's working on in the games. Can't discuss with a rock so over and out.
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1zE7BBbdTLEBhCNw8XcZTMLyeWuq6Dh8Yed6hgUhjaX3xSyVh

Ok pal so tell me.........at the beginning of 2018 how would you rate the following areas on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best it could be:

-His head coach
-His scheme
-the play calling
-The Oline play
-The WR's
-The TE's

And AGAIN......never said it wasn't Daks fault, just simply pointing out the horror show he had surrounding him. Dak himself admitted part of the issue was himself, so you are proven wrong yet again.

And no he doesnt need a HOF fame cast around him. LOL

You like to make things up eh?

You mean a HOF fame cast like Aikman had?

LOL........and so Dallas failed again? Quite the contrary they went as farther then they should have.

So all QB's should be Tom Brady by year #2 and all teams should win the SB every year? Doesnt matter what the rest of the team or coaches look like?

Ignorance is truly bliss.

And hell yah, I will enjoy another year of Dak making fools out of trolls like you. Much enjoyment.

Little Jr

Reaction score
How many of those other top paid QBs make millions on the side in endorsements? He could be the Jets QB... So I would suggest he ponders that as well, during contract negotiations.
Cam, Rodgers, brees , Ryan, Eli , Brady , Wilson. With Alex Smith making 1m and cousins 1.5m .

Wood

Reaction score
same boat as other teams with big QB contracts,just need to keep drafting well.

the problem are NFL teams with middling QB who are now hostage to paying franchise dollars. There will be noway for them to pivot if it doesn't go as planned. Have to really hope Dak takes quantum leap this year.

zerofill

Reaction score
Cam, Rodgers, brees , Ryan, Eli , Brady , Wilson. With Alex Smith making 1m and cousins 1.5m .

Rodgers is the only one they show on TV here out of those listed. Dak is on all the time... Upstate NY... Live in NY and seen Eli with Barkley... don't see that anymore either.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Rodgers is the only one they show on TV here out of those listed. Dak is on all the time... Upstate NY... Live in NY and seen Eli with Barkley... don't see that anymore either.
They all bring in as much or more than Dak does on endorsements except for Smith and cousins.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cooper just wants too much money.
We made him a monster by all that talk about how we couldn't win until he got here.
That's why the front office needs to keep its collective mouth shut and not talk to reporters about individual performance on the field.
Players have long memories, especially when Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones are flapping their lips in praise of players. And the players' agents are going to remember that during contract negotiations.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
that is just about the starting salary for a qb in the nfl right now. its literally a market situation. trying to pay him less would be silly at this point.
I don't think we need to sign him before the year is over. Let it play out. If he takes us to a Super Bowl, gladly pay him what he's asking. But if he stinks it up with all these weapons around him, pay him his worth, and if he balks, move on.
It's not like we can't get a veteran on the market in the offseason who would love to play quarterback in the Cowboys' loaded offense.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cooper and his agent haven't even made a contract offer as yet, so it's absurd to suggest he's lagging behind. I'm curious to see what their demands might be when that time arrives, however. I'm much more interested in seeing how our guys perform in workouts and in TC than how things proceed in contract negotiations, to be honest. Pretty routine stuff, really.

Stephen Jones knows the ropes in negotiating by now and so do the player agents. The contract talks are mainly a matter of hashing things out until both sides reach an agreement that both sides can live with. It's surely not something very likely to present an impossible challenge, by any means, despite it getting pretty testy at times.

Last edited:

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
I don't think we need to sign him before the year is over. Let it play out. If he takes us to a Super Bowl, gladly pay him what he's asking. But if he stinks it up with all these weapons around him, pay him his worth, and if he balks, move on.
It's not like we can't get a veteran on the market in the offseason who would love to play quarterback in the Cowboys' loaded offense.
And tell me if you dont mind how that would lead us to anything greater for our future?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And tell me if you dont mind how that would lead us to anything greater for our future?
If he's average, then he's a bus driver. Bus drivers come on the market all the time. And we still have the draft.
Let's stop acting as if Dak Prescott is going to be the only good quarterback or bus driver quarterback we're going to have a shot at.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
If he's average, then he's a bus driver. Bus drivers come on the market all the time. And we still have the draft.
Let's stop acting as if Dak Prescott is going to be the only good quarterback or bus driver quarterback we're going to have a shot at.
Not sure about the average but I wont even argue that point. What I will say is that this desire to keep claiming that the better move is simply to replace him because there is "someone better on the horizon" in a sense is ludacris. Maybe a less important player but at QB, you rarely get the kind of chances where even a 1st round qb will pan out. And then to further push the idea leaves our subsequent seasons to what exactly? Would the cowboys and fans really be ok with tanking to get someone who again may not even pan out? Lots of ifs with no real solution does not make a better strategy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not sure about the average but I wont even argue that point. What I will say is that this desire to keep claiming that the better move is simply to replace him because there is "someone better on the horizon" in a sense is ludacris. Maybe a less important player but at QB, you rarely get the kind of chances where even a 1st round qb will pan out. And then to further push the idea leaves our subsequent seasons to what exactly? Would the cowboys and fans really be ok with tanking to get someone who again may not even pan out? Lots of ifs with no real solution does not make a better strategy.
You missed what I said. If he's average or a bus driver, then there's always one of those available either via free agency or a trade. If we load our team with talent, Case Keenum or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Ryan Tannehill could pilot this team.
If Dak needs a complete team around him, then any Joe who makes a few throws that are completed and who leans on our running game could do well behind this line.
Franchise quarterbacks are hard to find. Bus drivers? They're dimes a dozen.

DanA

Reaction score
I know in football terms that is cheap. I'm just saying football players are not really worth what they get paid. I'm not saying they shouldn't get what they are getting paid because they are a product of the market. You just can't ever convince me that they are worth every penny of it. There are much more valuable jobs that are worth more, but won't receive it because the public doesn't value them the same as entertainment. Same with movie stars. They make millions because of the money we spend on entertainment.

... And now I'm off that soapbox.

I think it once it gets into the millions, nobody is worth that regardless of the job. But some of these UDFA’s might get 50k and spat out of the system managing chronic pain or brain injury. Fringe players I don’t think earn enough.

DanA

Reaction score
I don’t know if that many zoners were convinced that Dak wasn’t getting more than 20-22 tops?? I think many believed he wasnt worth more than 20-22 million tops and hoped the Jones wouldn’t even extend him ... I think most realized it was going to be the market going rate they just didn’t agree with the thought process or logic there of

I still don’t think he gets 30m+. I think he earns about equivalent to the 4th highest QB discounted by 2m for this year and the franchise tag for next. That point it around 28m per season in my mind.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
If there was no Cooper, there would have been no playoffs last season. Cooper got us there and increased Dak's worth in the process.