Cowboys run blocking scheme is worse than it was last season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would give Clwveland a 1st for OL coach Bill Callahan...

The Cowboys run blocking scheme is worse than it was last season.

If you can't run, then pass pro will always be difficult.

Callahan was one of the best position coaches the Cowboys have had. He departed because of Garrett.

Before Callahan came in 2012, the scheme looked very similar to this year's scheme. Man blocking...just line up and beat your man with a bunch of difficult to execute pulls.

Callahan came in and ran both zone and man. Zone left, zone left, zone left then come back with power man right (with pass plays mixed in). Defenders would start cheating left vs zone then get blown up on the power man right because they were out of position.

Callahan was great at both scheme and coaching fundamentals. Zack Martin said that in practice they would repeat the same play over and over until the execution was perfect.

They also ran from spread sets (3 WRs and TE split out).

This season they keep trying to run from 3 TE sets or 2 TEs and a FB. The defense knows it's going to be a run when they are in those formations.

Brax

Reaction score

Callahan was one of the best position coaches the Cowboys have had. He departed because of Garrett.

Before Callahan came in 2012, the scheme looked very similar to this year's scheme. Man blocking...just line up and beat your man with a bunch of difficult to execute pulls.

Callahan came in and ran both zone and man. Zone left, zone left, zone left then come back with power man right (with pass plays mixed in). Defenders would start cheating left vs zone then get blown up on the power man right because they were out of position.

Callahan was great at both scheme and coaching fundamentals. Zack Martin said that in practice they would repeat the same play over and over until the execution was perfect.

This season they keep trying to run from 3 TE sets or 2 TEs and a FB. The defense knows it's going to be a run when they are in those formations.
Didn’t we dump BC. SORRY somehow I missed you covered that again sorry. I think it’s a FF thing with coaches and MM

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Whuh cunrty is clewfeland in??

jujoboys

Reaction score
Didn’t we dump BC. SORRY somehow I missed you covered that again sorry. I think it’s a FF thing with coaches and MM
If I remember correctly we promoted him to OC for a season or 2 and then he got mad when we moved him back to OLine coach and replaced him with Scott Linehan as OC. He was a great OLine coach but just not a very good OC. He was mad about the demotion and took a lateral move as OLine coach to Washington after his contract ended with Dallas.

RS12

Reaction score
Sure remember a lot of praise around here for the Solari hire. Be that as it may and yes i agree Callahan is the best O Line coach in the business, anything above positión cosch not so much. I seem to remember him leaving Dallas un happy. Doubt he comes back but he is worth a 2nd because this team generally whiffs on 2nd round picks.

John813

Reaction score
Jerry blocked the Browns and Ravens from interviewing him to be their O.C. right after they brought in Linehan to be the O.C. and demoted Callahan.
I doubt Callahan would want to come back here.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

100% correct, the run game has been on the decline since Callahan left

CCBoy

Reaction score
It wasn’t Garrett, it was Jones who caused his departure. It was pretty ugly, never say never but i doubt he’ll ever coach for us again…
Christ, this is coaching staff...get line of authority and responsibility levels straight. You describe a responsibility of the coaching staff. Get in the ballpark on blame.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Some randomization from the same looks is basic game theory. Failing to do this in professional sports is simple incompetence.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think this is one of the worst offensive staffs we've had in many years.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Callahan is Cleveland coach? No wonder they were abusing san fran smh. We got rid of him for garrett smh

Cowboyny

Reaction score

The front office is so worried about Dak and the passing game, but they have neglected their rushing attack for years. This is what is holding them back from making further in the playoffs. I agree, would give up a 1st rd pick to bring Callahan back as he is one of the best in the business.

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s scheme, oline coach, a lack of playing time together or what. But they are way under performing

817Gill

Reaction score
I thought Schotty’s strength was run scheme? So disappointed in how much they have regressed schematically.

The “30%” Mike preached has been wrong. All we needed was slight improvements on flow of the game calls, variation, and situational ball; we didn’t need an overhaul.

What’s most frustrating is these tend to be offseason fixes, rarely can a team just pivot schematically in-season. Also, the lack of flexibility from Mike historically gives no hope.

That generation of coaches are as stubborn and behind as can be. Praying our next coach is a guy from the Shanahan tree who genuinely understands modern ball. There are almost zero offense playcallers of that era who are leading high caliber offenses today.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You watch San Fran and you watch this team and there is zero creativity with us. No pulling at all. They looked like us in the 90s