Cowboys run blocking scheme is worse than it was last season

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This season they keep trying to run from 3 TE sets or 2 TEs and a FB. The defense knows it's going to be a run when they are in those formations.
This is true, and it makes the OL coach and any specific blocking schemes pretty irrelevant.

Doesn't matter who the coaches or the players are if the other team knows what you're doing all game.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would give Clwveland a 1st for OL coach Bill Callahan...

The Cowboys run blocking scheme is worse than it was last season.

If you can't run, then pass pro will always be difficult.

Callahan was one of the best position coaches the Cowboys have had. He departed because of Garrett.

Before Callahan came in 2012, the scheme looked very similar to this year's scheme. Man blocking...just line up and beat your man with a bunch of difficult to execute pulls.

Callahan came in and ran both zone and man. Zone left, zone left, zone left then come back with power man right (with pass plays mixed in). Defenders would start cheating left vs zone then get blown up on the power man right because they were out of position.

Callahan was great at both scheme and coaching fundamentals. Zack Martin said that in practice they would repeat the same play over and over until the execution was perfect.

They also ran from spread sets (3 WRs and TE split out).

This season they keep trying to run from 3 TE sets or 2 TEs and a FB. The defense knows it's going to be a run when they are in those formations.
I'm reacting to this " Callahan for 1st rd pick " as a take lightly sarcasm, becuz the " cry me a river for Callahan"
is so very old now, he's gone and done here,
And he's not the only OL coach that can design a run game in the NFL.

- The Niners and Dolphins are proving they can successfully scheme a run game with " splash- chunk" players ..
without the big bulking bell cow some on this board keep crying and whining about.

What I am about ready to be done is McCarthy's hand-picks for OL coach and run game designer.
Play caller as to how to run (formations) ... when to run (situations) is another matter

- I thought the dayz of running ball out of shotgun formations so much and most of the times were done
with leave of Kellen ? ,.. but it mysteriously still seems to be continuing on a constant overload.

- When we run the ball its' like diving for 2 yards for the sake of saying we tried to power run. It's wasted time.
it's either 2 yards, .. no gain .. or stuffed in backfield for loss of 2 yards.
- No mis-direction concepts in the design whatsoever: - makes no tackler hesitant or steered confused.
- maybe its a new run scheme,.. maybe it's players missed time per lack of continuity :
- All except Steele has missed time per injury.

- I do seem to observe one thing; he/RBs have had not near the creases, openings, and lanes he's had in '2023
that he enjoyed in 2022 last year as simplistic as Philibin's run scheme was.

Rayman70

Reaction score
How do we know its worse? We barely even had the "best 5" playing together and healthy. Lets take a wait and see approach before we declare that. Mike Solari has been coaching at a high level since Landry was in Dallas. I trust he knows more than we do. The players need to be better, and healthier.

Creeper

Reaction score

Callahan was one of the best position coaches the Cowboys have had. He departed because of Garrett.

Before Callahan came in 2012, the scheme looked very similar to this year's scheme. Man blocking...just line up and beat your man with a bunch of difficult to execute pulls.

Callahan came in and ran both zone and man. Zone left, zone left, zone left then come back with power man right (with pass plays mixed in). Defenders would start cheating left vs zone then get blown up on the power man right because they were out of position.

Callahan was great at both scheme and coaching fundamentals. Zack Martin said that in practice they would repeat the same play over and over until the execution was perfect.

"Zack Martin said that in practice they would repeat the same play over and over until the execution was perfect."

Seems obvious, doesn't it? Lombardi did the same thing with the power sweep.

I got the impression Monday night that the Cowboys ran the Tush Push play maybe 5 times in practices and maybe not even that many times.

garyv

Reaction score

Run Blocking is not as good. The thing is me personally next draft I'm drafting a starting RB and two Offensive Lineman PERIOD. THis has
to be our strength and we must draft and feel these needs. In saying this I'm letting Pollard walk considering he'll want 8 mil a year and I would
not pay this lets go to the draft and fill this need at a much cheaper price, fresh legs and a player wanting to prove something.

exciter

Reaction score
If I remember correctly we promoted him to OC for a season or 2 and then he got mad when we moved him back to OLine coach and replaced him with Scott Linehan as OC. He was a great OLine coach but just not a very good OC. He was mad about the demotion and took a lateral move as OLine coach to Washington after his contract ended with Dallas.
Jerry blocked him from interviewing for an OC job with Cleveland I think! He was still listed as OC/OL coach after having play calling stripped!

plasticman

Reaction score
At what point was the blocking schemes better? In similar 4-2 starts the 2022 team couldn't get 75 rushing yards in two of the games.

There were more lineup changes in game #3 this season on the offensive line than there was the entire first six games of last season. So far, after only six games, there had been eight different starters on the offensive line, not exactly the formula for cohesion.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
You can tell when they are going to run the ball 80% of the time.

They line up with 2 TEs then put a WR behind one of the TEs, no pulling, no draws, no traps, no misdirection, and very few outside runs, just line up and try to smash it up the middle.

Staubacher

Reaction score
We put a bunch of retread idiots in charge of the offense what did anyone expect?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah we lost him because JG didnt offer him a new contract. JG wanted to hire his buddy who got fired from bengals. We basically switched coaches. JG is an idiot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We put a bunch of retread idiots in charge of the offense what did anyone expect?
A youth team player's parent shot his son't head youth coach for more playing time...not the same discussion as well.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He didn’t just leave bc of garrett he left bc we blocked him from another job also…he was upset at the organization as a whole as well.

Just not gonna happen

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure remember a lot of praise around here for the Solari hire. Be that as it may and yes i agree Callahan is the best O Line coach in the business, anything above positión cosch not so much. I seem to remember him leaving Dallas un happy. Doubt he comes back but he is worth a 2nd because this team generally whiffs on 2nd round picks.
Some Fans are hardwired to assume every player and coach we bring in will be good.

Redline360

Reaction score
Like I've been saying this offense has no creativity. Hell high-school teams could sniff out when a run play is coming at this point. Pollard seems to be hit in the backfield or at the LOS every time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You watch San Fran and you watch this team and there is zero creativity with us. No pulling at all. They looked like us in the 90s
They pull twice as much those season as they did previously...