Cowboys Salary Cap situation is in a lot better shape than it is made out to be

stinkface

Reaction score
BB’s Patriots dynasty was built on not going “all in”. He didn’t have superstars at every position because realistically that is never going to happen. But they drafted smart and knew where to spend their resources. They never went crazy in Free Agency.

He also had Tom Brady, so obviously that helped.
Agree. They also had the greatest coach of all time. Hard to compare us with NE sadly. We aren't in the same zip code.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Restructuring Dak, Martin, and one other guy the front office plans on keeping long term easily creates $25 million in cap space.

I'm all for those cuts you mentioned (I'd prefer to cut Lawrence over Cooper just because the WR unit is losing Gallup and most likely Wilson. Plus Micah can step in Lawrence's place).

But Dak and Martin could easily be restructured to create another $20 million in space.

Now you can sign another 2 key players easily, a couple of role players, and the draft class.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...hem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

You cannot ask Micah to man DLaw's spot for the whole year on a full time basis. Micah is a generational player but he is NOT built to be a full time DE.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Just restructuring and cutting no one saves over 70m. Cap space can be made very easily. Not sure why every year people worry about this.

offlimits

Reaction score
Restructuring Dak, Martin, and one other guy the front office plans on keeping long term easily creates $25 million in cap space.

I'm all for those cuts you mentioned (I'd prefer to cut Lawrence over Cooper just because the WR unit is losing Gallup and most likely Wilson. Plus Micah can step in Lawrence's place).

But Dak and Martin could easily be restructured to create another $20 million in space.

Now you can sign another 2 key players easily, a couple of role players, and the draft class.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...hem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

Agree. It is not gloom and doom as many have posted recently. We can create cap space... every flippin' team in the league does it. Do not disagree with some of your cuts but I would keep Coop and let Gallup go.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We've heard from SJ for years that (paraphrasing), the cap isn't a stumbling block or impediment to signing who they want. While that may or may not be true, the bigger issue is some of the head-scratching contracts they do sign.

I still haven't let go of the ridiculous Zeke contract.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I agree, that there is always room to maneuver. But at some point they'll need to jettison some of these contracts.

jnday

Reaction score
Below is a list of players with their corresponding cap savings if released (post June 1) in 2023:

1. Demarcus Lawrence ($21 million)
2. Amari Cooper ($20 million)
3. Ezekiel Elliot ($10.9 million)
4. Tyron Smith ($13.6 million)
5. Blake Jarwin ($6.25 million)

OTC has Dallas with $19.6 million in cap space entering the 2023 season.

With those releases, Dallas would be around $92 million in cap space in 2023.

Point being, Dallas maybe in a tough cap situation for 2022, but they could restructure guys like Dak and Martin and a couple of others in order to retain all of these core players and bring back a couple of key pending free agents like Schultz, Kearse, and Gregory (who would all have low cap hits for 1st year deals).

The front office could easily plan on targeting the above listed players replacements in the 2022 and 2023 drafts and free agency, while just getting by in 2022 and make 1 big signing like Bates or a to Guard to replace Connor Williams. Cap space will be plentiful for a rebuild in 2023. Of course if the front office acts under the belief that this year's roster wasn't enough for a serious Superbowl run, then we'll probably see a rebuild this season and 2022 will be a bridge year.

I think the cap situation is fine actually, considering Dallas can easily get out of those big contracts easily at the conclusion of the 2022 season.
Restructuring those contracts only serves to keep those overpaid players on the team for a longer period of time. There is no easy way to get rid of the contracts without the contracts hurting the salary cap for many more years. Dallas will be over the cap by $22-$23 million this offseason. Stephen has said that 20-25 players will be gone this offseason. They will sign the cheapest players that they can find this off-season to replace them.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Below is a list of players with their corresponding cap savings if released (post June 1) in 2023:

1. Demarcus Lawrence ($21 million)
2. Amari Cooper ($20 million)
3. Ezekiel Elliot ($10.9 million)
4. Tyron Smith ($13.6 million)
5. Blake Jarwin ($6.25 million)

OTC has Dallas with $19.6 million in cap space entering the 2023 season.

With those releases, Dallas would be around $92 million in cap space in 2023.

Point being, Dallas maybe in a tough cap situation for 2022, but they could restructure guys like Dak and Martin and a couple of others in order to retain all of these core players and bring back a couple of key pending free agents like Schultz, Kearse, and Gregory (who would all have low cap hits for 1st year deals).

The front office could easily plan on targeting the above listed players replacements in the 2022 and 2023 drafts and free agency, while just getting by in 2022 and make 1 big signing like Bates or a to Guard to replace Connor Williams. Cap space will be plentiful for a rebuild in 2023. Of course if the front office acts under the belief that this year's roster wasn't enough for a serious Superbowl run, then we'll probably see a rebuild this season and 2022 will be a bridge year.

I think the cap situation is fine actually, considering Dallas can easily get out of those big contracts easily at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Ok we cut these guys may I ask who going to CARRY Dak?:omg:

The dude couldn't score a TD pass until Coop showed up?