Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
brooksey1;4537886 said:
If he was going to be a free agent pick up I think we would have waited til the 7th round or later. Phil and Chicago also had a line on him. You never know.

He said he received a call from Philly saying they were looking at him in the 4th or 5th. If we did not take him we were going to lose him.

Bluestang

Reaction score
SDogo;4537935 said:
He said he received a call from Philly saying they were looking at him in the 4th or 5th. If we did not take him we were going to lose him.

So does this make Philly a team that is inept at drafting too because they would have reached? :rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bluestang;4537938 said:
So does this make Philly a team that is inept at drafting too because they would have reached? :rolleyes:

It means Dallas liked him and so they drafted him. Where you think he would have gone in the draft is your opinion. Because some say he would have been an UDFA how do you know? Cowboys wanted a safety given the workout numbers he posted his measurable were as good. Because some fans do not know him means nothing

Bluestang

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4537969 said:
It means Dallas liked him and so they drafted him. Where you think he would have gone in the draft is your opinion. Because some say he would have been an UDFA how do you know? Cowboys wanted a safety given the workout numbers he posted his measurable were as good. Because some fans do not know him means nothing

I know Dallas likes him, I actually like this pick. My comments were a quip at those saying that we reached on him.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4537935 said:

I stand corrected then.

Hard not to overreact to that when it sounds like this guy came out a cave somewhere.

Of course I hope to god he works out for us cause as everyone knows, I'm dessssperate for safety help and been saying it all offseason.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4537999 said:
I stand corrected then.

Hard not to overreact to that when it sounds like this guy came out a cave somewhere.

Of course I hope to god he works out for us cause as everyone knows, I'm dessssperate for safety help and been saying it all offseason.

Happens every year that i can remember. Its like a dog when you leave the pit open.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4537250 said:
This guy is a considerably better athlete than Brandon Taylor.

Maybe he's AOA part 2 but he has the measurables you want and collegiate production with double digit INTs.

What's clear to me is Dallas wants to attack on defense. They went after guys with great tackles for loss totals and coverage guys who make plays.

I think AOA's downfall is that he wasn't smooth enough to be a corner and didn't have the experience (smarts?) to be as safety.

This Johnson kid has been a safety... A safety with good numbers.

He may fail also, but I think he's a much better fit for the position.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;4538018 said:
Happens every year that i can remember. Its like a dog when you leave the pit open.

Yeah, I wasn't pissed over this one much at all, now if you caught me right after we drafted Felix or TNew.......that was when I was pissed off....:laugh2:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;4536922 said:
Except Berry-o actually had a lot of talent. He was pretty fly for a white guy.

He was known as hitter and not really a cover guy.

Don't think he was the athlete that Johnson is.

lwehlers

Reaction score
i hope he pushes mcray off the roster. mcray has been here two years and has not done much. eager to seeing all the rookies this year in preseason.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Honestly, watching the video he reminds me of a smaller Sean Lee. He seems to diagnose the play really quick and get to the ball. He also seems to always have his head up watching the ball. Reach or not, I am not ready to pan this guy.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
SDogo;4537935 said:

I know of one other team that picked before Dallas in the 5th that thought they had him. Won't say but you can probably guess.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Friend of mine went looking for info on this guy, and found a website of his that shows him to be an open source linux contributer.

So maybe the Cowboys can get some help from him on their website as well as at safety!

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Eskimo;4537376 said:
The problem I have with the pick is how you can judge his instincts or toughness playing against such an inferior level of competition.

We know he was a good player in his conference, has good raw measurable on the Combine tests and has a propensity for injury.

I think he is going to get eaten alive by the big boys and the pick could have waited two rounds when highly rated big school in the trenches players were available.

The Big Sky Conference is better than you think, it could easily rival the MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, Conference USA, etc.

Eastern Washington only lost to U of Washington by a FG this year and Eastern finished in the middle of the pack in their conference.

There are plenty of successful NFL players in the league that played FCS ball.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
TheFinisher;4540047 said:
The Big Sky Conference is better than you think, it could easily rival the MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, Conference USA, etc.

Eastern Washington only lost to U of Washington by a FG this year and Eastern finished in the middle of the pack in their conference.

There are plenty of successful NFL players in the league that played FCS ball.

The top schools in the Big Sky are BETTER than most MAC, Sun Belt, WAC and CUSA schools.....

Almost all of these kids where recruited by MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, and CUSA schools. The top FCS conferences, of which the Big Sky absolutely is the BEST play as good if not better football than the MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, and even CUSA.....

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4537999 said:
I stand corrected then.

No, it isn't hard not to overreact. If you don't think that you know more than the scouts, it is actually VERY EASY not to......

SMCowboy

Reaction score
RamziD;4536936 said:
I agree. Inability to draft well in the late rounds has hurt us a lot.

WRONG, we have drafted as well if not better than alot of teams in the late rounds. What has hurt us is not our so called poor late round drafting. Our late round drafting has been pretty good. What has hurt us, is our inability to get difference makers, instead of solid players in the first two rounds.....

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;4536850 said:
Oh, I'm not hating, just confused by their logic.

Again, by most accounts, he would've been there MUCH later on in FA.

To me, the higher rounds should be used for talent and not reaches.

Perhaps I'm just scarred by the Bruce Thorntons, Skyler Greens, Isaiah Stanbacks, Robert Brewsters and Brandon Williams of the world.

Most accounts where proven wrong....

Maybe you shouldn't use your draft guides as a bible, but instead just a source of info....

And maybe, just maybe you should consider that the Cowboys scouts and FO, know just a little bit more about where other teams rank players than your draft guides do....

Just because your draft guide doesn't know anything about a player doesn't mean he is a reach, it means your draft guide didn't do a good enough job researching players.....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4540126 said:
Most accounts where proven wrong....

Maybe you shouldn't use your draft guides as a bible, but instead just a source of info....

And maybe, just maybe you should consider that the Cowboys scouts and FO, know just a little bit more about where other teams rank players than your draft guides do....

Just because your draft guide doesn't know anything about a player doesn't mean he is a reach, it means your draft guide didn't do a good enough job researching players.....

I wish fans would stop with the maybe the Cowboys know better than you defense.

Maybe they don't. Maybe that's why they don't win. We're not talking about a team that has exactly earned the benefit of the doubt.

Those draft guides are thoroughly researched. They just don't think much of Matt Johnson's NFL potential. Maybe they'll be right and the Cowboys will be wrong like with Robert Brewster. Or maybe they'll be wrong and the Cowboys will be right like with Sean Lissemore.

But to suggest everyone was lazy and the Cowboys merely did their work to unearth this gem is foolish. They knew Matt Johnson. They just have a different opinion of him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4540143 said:
But to suggest everyone was lazy and the Cowboys merely did their work to unearth this gem is foolish. They knew Matt Johnson. They just have a different opinion of him.

Yeah.

Time will tell one way or another.