Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

munkee

Reaction score
preacher238;4536764 said:
I am shaking my head right now...it's the fourth round, folks!!!

THE FOURTH ROUND!!!!!

Thank you. It's the 4th flipping round. The whole draft is not thrown in the trash because you don't agree on a 4th round pick. The last pick of the 4th round at that.

Obvious things to keep in mind. The Cowboys really like him. They also may have had a heads up that another team or teams really liked him as well. If that is the case, then I have even less of a problem with the Cowboys taking this guy with the last pick of the 4th round.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Eskimo;4536822 said:
AOA had a lot of picks, too.

Pete Hunter also got a lot of picks, too.

He basically played the equivalent of Texas High School football - how can you rank him against guys who played big Conference ball who are proven against high levels of competition. He was taken at least a round early and probably two rounds early.

We're just trying to outsmart the league again which Jerry loves to do. Jason is supposed to be his stopper. He didn't stop Jerry here so Garrett fails. I barely even care how good of a player he is because I think the strategy is all wrong. These little school guys need to be taken later. You'd think they'd have learned from our last 2 fourth rounders who have floundered - AOA (out of the league) and Arkin (not a consideration to play last year when we had Nagy from the 7th round and Kowalski as a UDFA out there playing).

Complete nonsense. 4th rounders are not guarnteed to be solid NFL players. AOA was a good pick, but he still was a gamble that didn't pan out. And your already writing off Arkin, when Garrett said when they drafted him, that he would need a year in the Boys off-season program, and now your ranting and raving about the selection of Johnson, when you haven't even seen him play. Unless your a fortune teller, why not wait and see if the kid is a player. If hes a bust, then we can all throw darts at the Cowboys scouting dept.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Eskimo;4536822 said:
He basically played the equivalent of Texas High School football -

Actually, he won a national championship in the FCS in 2010...

Texas high school football's good, but it ain't that good...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
matt-johnson-compare.jpg

Bull209

Benched
Reaction score
jjktkk;4536957 said:
Complete nonsense. 4th rounders are not guarnteed to be solid NFL players. AOA was a good pick, but he still was a gamble that didn't pan out. And your already writing off Arkin, when Garrett said when they drafted him, that he would need a year in the Boys off-season program, and now your ranting and raving about the selection of Johnson, when you haven't even seen him play. Unless your a fortune teller, why not wait and see if the kid is a player. If hes a bust, then we can all throw darts at the Cowboys scouting dept.

If the Cowboys had picked some offensive lineman in this draft, Arkin would struggle to make this team. Guarantee you that.

fishspill

Reaction score
RamziD;4536927 said:
This is nothing like the Demarco Murray pick. Demarco Murray was very productive at a FBS powerhouse and was not projected by every scouting service as a UDFA.

That wasn't the point. I was saying every pick deserves the chance to succeed or fail based on what they do and not personal supposition, I was merely citing an example of my own failures in that department. The main thrust of my statement was that anyone who does harbor doubts about this pick is thoroughly justified by past experience with this management team. I may have failed to communicate this effectively.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Bull209;4536970 said:
If the Cowboys had picked some offensive lineman in this draft, Arkin would struggle to make this team. Guarantee you that.

I'd love to hear the rationale for this one.

Bull209

Benched
Reaction score
VACowboy;4536981 said:
I'd love to hear the criteria for this one.
You're right, the Cowboys probably would've drafted a guard from Sisters of the Poor Methodist.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Bull209;4536970 said:

This makes no sense at all.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4536921 said:
half of the scouting websites i use don't even have him listed. this is frustrating.

got the wrong ones buddy, he is on mine:

VACowboy

Reaction score
Bull209;4536985 said:
You're right, the Cowboys probably would've drafted a guard from Sisters of the Poor Methodist.

I'm right about what??

Mash

Reaction score
Were doomed....we missed out on the last pick in the 4th round.......

Please ...make it stop.

Ive heard it all now.....teams crumble because we picked a nobody with the last pick in the 4th round.

I really dont get this kind of thinking......

Bull209

Benched
Reaction score
jjktkk;4536986 said:
This makes no sense at all.

David Arkin not being able to play makes no sense to you? Have you only recently started following the Cowboys?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
silverbear;4536845 said:
6-1, 210 pounds, a SS... ran a 4.52 at his Pro Day...

Another team captain, Garrett does seem to like to draft team captains...

Here's what PFW had to say about him:

As noted above, his senior season was ruined by that biceps injury, but in his junior season (when Eastern Washington won a national championship), he was just lights out-- 106 tackles, 5 ints, 8 passes broken up, 2 forced fumbles...

FWIW, NFLDS rated him their 378th best prospect, while PFW called him a 5th or 6th round prospect...
yep, jason likes team captain, plays hard, loves football, hard worker, and will play through pain when needed, hustles to the ball

KnowledgeBarnes

Reaction score
a lot of panic buttons going on here, yall do know 4 out of top 5 players going into this season come from small schools.....Romo, Ware, Austin, Carr. So please squash the powerhouse argument because Anthony Spencer, the guy everyone wants gone, comes from a powerhouse conference and school....look where that has gotten us.