Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

I'm with you as far as how much leverage it would give us over Dak and we could potentially just trade players for free and keep Rosen on a rookie deal.

My 1 problem though is Rosen and his personality not fitting into the Dallas Texas culture. He is not a guy I really care to cheer for.

If it was just Dak at 30 mill vs Rosen on his rookie deal then I make that trade all day.

RS12

Reaction score
Count me in. This franchise will regret throwing 25-30 mil a year at Dak. Everything will have to go exactly right for Dak to get this team over the hump, and with Jerry and Red in the mix that will never happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hmm.

No.

I think Prescott is the better QB both now and in the future.

I think he might be too but how much better and if it comes down to it, do you want to be in a situation where you are in negotiations with Dak's agent and all you have besides Dak are the two QBs we have on the roster now? For that matter, do you want to be in the season and have Dak go down and all you have on the roster are the two we have now? This is really not a question of who is better, it's more a question of the value Rosen could represent for the Cowboys if you can get him for a reasonable price. I think it's a buyers market on Rosen right now. Interest in him is not high right now. Once you get into the season, it might be higher.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
If I was Dallas I'd do it for a 6th round pick. Arizona would say no, end of discussion. Not the right fit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm with you as far as how much leverage it would give us over Dak and we could potentially just trade players for free and keep Rosen on a rookie deal.

My 1 problem though is Rosen and his personality not fitting into the Dallas Texas culture. He is not a guy I really care to cheer for.

If it was just Dak at 30 mill vs Rosen on his rookie deal then I make that trade all day.

All things considered, I'd probably rather have Dak signed to a reasonable deal and our starter but it might not come down to that. I am not in favor, under any circumstances, of signing Dak to a 30 mil a year deal right now. I'd rather have Dak starting for us but I don't relish the prospect of being held over a barrel or being in a position where we carry the QBs we have now into the season as our backups. I think we are close to being good enough but one of the real weakness areas for us, IMO, is backup QB. Rosen could be the answer to that if he can be had for the right price.

kskboys

Reaction score
He'll develop into a solid at worst player.

The problem is not his skill. It's that he's a tool box.
The bigger problem is that he's prone to soft muscle tissue injuries and has a gangly build which points toward not being able to take the pounding in the NFL. Not mobile at all.

I do agree that he should be a solid starter if he can stay on the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
All things considered, I'd probably rather have Dak signed to a reasonable deal and our starter but it might not come down to that. I am not in favor, under any circumstances, of signing Dak to a 30 mil a year deal right now. I'd rather have Dak starting for us but I don't relish the prospect of being held over a barrel or being in a position where we carry the QBs we have now into the season as our backups. I think we are close to being good enough but one of the real weakness areas for us, IMO, is backup QB. Rosen could be the answer to that if he can be had for the right price.
He can't be. Rosen will easily bring a 2nd, maybe a 1st. Or more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Not only no, but hell no. There’s obviously a reason the Cardinals don’t want him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The bigger problem is that he's prone to soft muscle tissue injuries and has a gangly build which points toward not being able to take the pounding in the NFL. Not mobile at all.

I do agree that he should be a solid starter if he can stay on the field.

I agree, he is not a guy who is going to be able to take a pounding the way Dak can, in the run game etc. but that, to me, is why he could be a good fit for us. I think that our OL is going to be much improved this year and I could see a guy like Rosen being able to stand in and throw behind our OL. He's an excellent throwing QB, very good footwork. He has some skills as a thrower. Not a lot of teams can pass protect as well as we can when our OL is healthy. Besides, ideally he is our backup so he wouldn't be our starter unless pressed into action. IDK, i just like him better then anything we have on the roster right now as backup.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He can't be. Rosen will easily bring a 2nd, maybe a 1st. Or more.

Not so sure about that. There is a lot of talk that the Cards will not get much more then a 3rd. Now, if it costs a 2nd or for sure a 1st, I'm out. This, to me, is only a good deal if he can be had for something in the area of a 3rd or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.