Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Count me in. This franchise will regret throwing 25-30 mil a year at Dak. Everything will have to go exactly right for Dak to get this team over the hump, and with Jerry and Red in the mix that will never happen.
Great Post. Wish I could like this twice

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he might be too but how much better and if it comes down to it, do you want to be in a situation where you are in negotiations with Dak's agent and all you have besides Dak are the two QBs we have on the roster now? For that matter, do you want to be in the season and have Dak go down and all you have on the roster are the two we have now? This is really not a question of who is better, it's more a question of the value Rosen could represent for the Cowboys if you can get him for a reasonable price. I think it's a buyers market on Rosen right now. Interest in him is not high right now. Once you get into the season, it might be higher.
Just read a tweet this morning that the contrary popular belief, the Commanders, like the Giants have no interest in trading for Rosen. Think about this for a second......as bad as both the Giants and Skins need a QB, they apparently are not will give 2nd or possibly 3rd for a QB chosen top 10 just 2 years ago, even with a cheap rookie deal. Let's not forget the price the Cards paid to move up, yet they'/ve soured on him after one full season. The point is there's something about this kid. To see such young QB who obviously has some serious talent, get such cold treatment from two QB-needed teams speaks volumes IMO. No thanks......hell at this rate, I'm not you can even get your 3rd round investment back. If rumors are true, the Dolphins are the only team left where he can start, otherwise, he's a backup.

Qcard

Reaction score
But Dak... Teams that are winning Superbowls either have truly elite QB's taking paycuts or QB's on rookie deal.

We can't pay your mediocrity top dollar and still only get mediocrity. You're not that kind of player.
Great post!

Exactly the type of reasoning and description used during contract negotiations in Pipe dreams...

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

Reports are that the cards are off the Murray train per their camp. They are keeping Rosen.

Plus there is no reason for them to lie about that since they can get Murray regardless with their high pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So let's extend this premise into QB1 contract negotiations.

Dallas Cowboys Front Office: "Mr Prescott we will not give you a contract better or similar other QBs with natural passing ability like Cousins or Garoppolo because we traded for a backup with natural passing ability.

Mr. Prescott: But my resume W/L I have shown poise under pressure, heart in the 4th Qtr and off field ambassadorship for the League.

I think it would give the team more leverage and I don't see how that could be a bad thing, if you are a fan of the team and not just Dak, but for the record, I believe that if Dak can prove he is taking the next step this coming season, I'm in it for Dak all day and I'm on board with paying him a 27-28 Million dollar deal. If that happens, then you got Rosen as your backup. In my mind, that's a much better situation then we have now and I'd be willing to bet that Rosen, if given the opportunity is going to look much better in our offense, after a year to learn it, then he ever did in Az. At that point, assuming you could get Dak signed, then I wouldn't be surprised if you could parley him into a 2nd by a team who needs a QB. I mean, the guy does have skills. To me, this would be much like what Jimmy did with Steve Beurlein and Steve Walsh in the Early 90s.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think they would accept a 3rd for a first round qb one year removed.
This, for sure.

Some still think Rosen is a better prospect than any QB in this years draft.
Arizona would want a mid 1st at the very least.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He did nothing in year 1 that warrants being called a bust. That's just stupid hyperbole that people use.

I'm not a Rosen fan but he will be a solid NFL player.

Dak is a tad better then solid at moments but most of the time you only get solid.

The point is paying someone like Rosen far less vs Dak at 30 mill and not seeing a big drop off in production.
Arizona is stupid if they trade him after 1 season then. Dak numbers speak for themselves. Since he has been in the NFL not many QBs can say they have been better. That would be more than a tad bit IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he might be too but how much better and if it comes down to it, do you want to be in a situation where you are in negotiations with Dak's agent and all you have besides Dak are the two QBs we have on the roster now? For that matter, do you want to be in the season and have Dak go down and all you have on the roster are the two we have now? This is really not a question of who is better, it's more a question of the value Rosen could represent for the Cowboys if you can get him for a reasonable price. I think it's a buyers market on Rosen right now. Interest in him is not high right now. Once you get into the season, it might be higher.

Given the needs of the Cowboys I just can't give a 3rd rounder for a QB I have little faith in, no matter what Prescott's demand are.

Regardless of what happens Prescott can be in Dallas for another 2 seasons after the current one.

If something can not be worked out after the 2020 season then I'll start looking for alternatives.

And given how bad Rosen looked... I'll stick with what we've got because it won't matter anyway.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Really, who's the backup QB on our roster who can be considered better then solid at this point?
Why would give up a draft pick for Rosen to be a back up. That is not what the conversation is about. If it is.....I am bowing out.

ShortRound

Reaction score
This, for sure.

Some still think Rosen is a better prospect than any QB in this years draft.
Arizona would want a mid 1st at the very least.

value goes down after they draft Murray... hope they fleece the skins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just read a tweet this morning that the contrary popular belief, the Commanders, like the Giants have no interest in trading for Rosen. Think about this for a second......as bad as both the Giants and Skins need a QB, they apparently are not will give 2nd or possibly 3rd for a QB chosen top 10 just 2 years ago, even with a cheap rookie deal. Let's not forget the price the Cards paid to move up, yet they'/ve soured on him after one full season. The point is there's something about this kid. To see such young QB who obviously has some serious talent, get such cold treatment from two QB-needed teams speaks volumes IMO. No thanks......hell at this rate, I'm not you can even get your 3rd round investment back. If rumors are true, the Dolphins are the only team left where he can start, otherwise, he's a backup.

I've seen those articles also but I have no idea if they are real or not. For all we know, they are trying to drive the price down right now and all of this is prior to the draft. The Giants and the Skins are looking at QBs in the draft. They are not looking for backups. They are looking for a starter. Also, neither of those teams have great OLs. That's not an ideal situation for Rosen, but we do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Reports are that the cards are off the Murray train per their camp. They are keeping Rosen.

Plus there is no reason for them to lie about that since they can get Murray regardless with their high pick.

This might be, you never know. As to having no reason to lie, that's not true at all. You never let another team know what your draft plans are, regardless of if you have the first pick or not.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree, he is not a guy who is going to be able to take a pounding the way Dak can, in the run game etc. but that, to me, is why he could be a good fit for us. I think that our OL is going to be much improved this year and I could see a guy like Rosen being able to stand in and throw behind our OL. He's an excellent throwing QB, very good footwork. He has some skills as a thrower. Not a lot of teams can pass protect as well as we can when our OL is healthy. Besides, ideally he is our backup so he wouldn't be our starter unless pressed into action. IDK, i just like him better then anything we have on the roster right now as backup.

JMO
I do to, but the price would be prohibitive.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Given the needs of the Cowboys I just can't give a 3rd rounder for a QB I have little faith in, no matter what Prescott's demand are.

Regardless of what happens Prescott can be in Dallas for another 2 seasons after the current one.

If something can not be worked out after the 2020 season then I'll start looking for alternatives.

And given how bad Rosen looked... I'll stick with what we've got because it won't matter anyway.

Fair enough but keep in mind, you might need that Tag for Zeke, at some point so if can't get Dak signed, you could put yourself in a situation where you lose all of your leverage or you lose Zeke.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why would give up a draft pick for Rosen to be a back up. That is not what the conversation is about. If it is.....I am bowing out.

I started the conversation. Don't tell me what the conversation is about. You don't know squat about what the conversation was about, clearly. Blow out.

Status
Not open for further replies.