Cowboys sign Darren McFadden - 2yr deal worth up to $5.85m (200k bonus)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. How is McFadden a proven failure? He's run for over 1000 yards in this league and had a couple of seasons of 5+ ypc.

LOL right back at ya! He did that once in 7 years!!!!!

And all of those 'accomplishments' you're praising happened 4 and 5 years ago!

jrumann59

Reaction score
It certainly doesn't financially, but my fear is that they think they're in any way finished looking. My belief is that this takes them out of any possibility for either Spiller or Ridley, either of whom I would prefer to this move.

The issue is spiller is going to want good money all he is, is more talented dunbar, which this offense doesn't use so 4 mill a year for a guy that would get maybe 10 touches in game in this offense. I have already discussed Ridley probably will not be game ready for the start of the season.

Jenky

Reaction score
He might not be 20 million better...but he is a heck of a lot better than mcfadden and the stats prove that even with Murray's injury history.

However my objection has nothing to do with Murray. It has to deal with signing a RB that has been nothing but injury and when healthy has not been a factor in the pros and has been around the league long enough to have proven or not proven his worth.

I understand he is cheap, I understand he might not be on the roster come opening day, I understand if he is on the roster on starting day chances are he is a platoon back.

I just think it is a bad signing and a waste of time.

Major emphasis on waste of time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't financially, but my fear is that they think they're in any way finished looking. My belief is that this takes them out of any possibility for either Spiller or Ridley, either of whom I would prefer to this move.

I wouldn't worry about this.

The draft has probably been our first option all along. McFadden is just an ultra talented player that we got for nothing.

As much as I like the upside of McFadden he is unreliable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the role here for McFadden is probably as a platoon back and kick off return guy.
dallas had to sign a RB of some sort because you need bodies and injury protection.

i think mcfadden will be better here than anyone expects and i think his oakland time devalued him tremendously.

we have the ol and overall offense to provide any back with running lanes.
mcfadden brings ball security and blocking acumen, the exact areas you'd fear a rookie back in.

I have a hard time caring about this signing, either way. This guy lost reps to Rashad Jennings in the same backfield in OAK. It strikes me as a move to make Jerry feel like we're doing something, frankly. Maybe they let him return kicks in camp. Whatever.

But since I think all of Mathews, Randle, and Dunbar can play, and because I think we're going to add a rookie in rounds 2-4, I don't really care. If Darren McFadden can earn a spot and some reps here, more power to him.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Guys... This signing reminds me a lot of Rolando McClain.

That guy was Super talented but he sucked in Oakland as well.

Get him in Dallas and he looks amazing.

This has a ton of upside with little risk and he wont even be the feature back.

That's the way I'm looking at it as well, .. even Randy Moss sucked in Oakland.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue is spiller is going to want good money all he is, is more talented dunbar, which this offense doesn't use so 4 mill a year for a guy that would get maybe 10 touches in game in this offense.

A more talented Dunbar? Really? The guy was a highly-decorated 1st round draft pick who set all kinds of records at Clemson. Where was Dunbar drafted? What records did he set there? You show me any of these accolades Dunbar has and then you can speak further on the subject:

Career highlights and awards
  • Pro Bowl (2012)
  • 2× NFL FedEx Ground Player of the Week
    (Week 16 2011, Week 1 2012)
  • AFC Special Teams Player of the Week
    (Week 2 2014)
  • Buffalo Bills MVP (2012)
  • All-AFC (2012)
  • Unanimous All-American (2009)
  • ACC Player of the Year (2009)
  • First-team All-ACC (2008, 2009)
  • Second-team All-ACC (2008, 2009)
  • Clemson Tigers No. 28 retired

I have already discussed Ridley probably will not be game ready for the start of the season.

Your 'discussions' look like they need a lot of work...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Guys they paid 200k in guarantees, it's not like they took Murray's offer and gave it to McFadden.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's the way I'm looking at it as well, .. even Randy Moss sucked in Oakland.

Just watch the guy run..

He still looks like an ultra talent. Big, physical, can catch, Speed, vision. The ability is there.

He just needs to be more reliable.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Cmon guys.. People were saying that Murray was injury prone his career too untill last year... And he still broke his hand! Everybody knows that Oakland is the place where careers end, hopefully McFadden can prove he can stay healthy behind the leagues #1 OL

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
wow. Just hearing about this.
We put together a team that couldve made the SB last year, if not for one or two bounces and a bad bad call .....

And what do we do the following year? Go out and get Darren Mcfadden?

really. .......................................................... ?