Cowboys sign Darren McFadden - 2yr deal worth up to $5.85m (200k bonus)

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's put it another way.

McFadden is basically a spring training invitee like you see in baseball. Costs you basically nothing if he ends up sucking.

How anyone can have an issue with this is beyond me. I mean unless you think McFadden was signed to be the starting TB, which he clearly wasn't.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll get some of this out of him. For $2.8 mil a year, he's more than worth a gamble. Still only 27 years old.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
He is an older injured version of randle. How is this helping us in any way?

I use to watch his stats line each week. I got tired of seeing 20 carries for 52 yards so I stopped looking.

Is this like jerry hiring Switzer just to prove a point.

By picking up a blitzing line backer and splitting carries with a rookie back until he is ready to takeover. No one on this board seems to understand how important it is for a RB to be able to pass protect. McFadden is very good at that according to his scouting reports (as posted earlier).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
McFadden probably is still pretty fast until he runs into his Oline, falls and gets hurt.

Kind of like this dog who looks fast until he runs into the wall and gets hurt...

http://i18.***BLOCKED***/albums/b133/BrAinPaiNt/1262163885861.gif

How much different was the scouting report on Murray prior to last year?

Murray was special last year but he has 1 special year ot his career.
Just happens to be a career year in a contract year and behind the best OL in football.

You think McFadden has been running behind the Dallas OL or with Romo at QB and Dez at WR?

Murray is a bit better back than McFadden but he is not 20m guaranteed better, I promise you that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
By picking up a blitzing line backer and splitting carries with a rookie back until he is ready to takeover. No one on this board seems to understand how important it is for a RB to be able to pass protect. McFadden is very good at that according to his scouting reports (as posted earlier).

No doubt in a league that loves to throw exotic blitzes you better have a back who can step up and stone wall that rusher.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
is it 200k guaranteed? how can you hate this signing for the money? Maybe he needed a change of team like lynch. He is good when healthy. He will split carries. Heck he could be insurance incase gurley gets picked before our pick or to hold the seat til gurley is ready. Nothing bad can come of this with those low cap signing.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

McFadden is basically a spring training invitee like you see in baseball. Costs you basically nothing if he ends up sucking.

How anyone can have an issue with this is beyond me. I mean unless you think McFadden was signed to be the starting TB, which he clearly wasn't.

He's a progress stopper for Randle, Dunbar, and a potential draft pick.

bodi

Reaction score

EXACTLEY

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. Ridley is coming off of an ACL/MCL and Spiller is coming off an injury as well. Neither one's 'OK' is better than McFadden McFadden was also playing for the Raiders. Again that point needs to be emphasized.

And how mant full seasons - out of 7 - has your 'Iron Man' completed?

You can find the time to continue ripping apart everything the Cowboys do like you did all last season and time and time again you'll be proven wrong AGAIN!

Not everything, just the stupid ones, like this one. I freely give praise where it's due. The difference is that I am also able to criticize when warranted rather than mindlessly praise everything like it's my obligation.

Did nothing? Rushing for 1000 yards and two seasons of 5+ ypc is not 'did nothing'

When? 5 years ago? When was the last year he had over a measly 4 yards a carry?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Any guesses on what # he'll wear since #20 is already taken? Perhaps #29..?

tumblr_md04lmEl9u1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

superonyx

Reaction score

I think people do understand the importance of pass protection. You have to realize that we just lost our workhorse back who gave our team it's identy. Maybe the line is so great that we will stay committed to the run. Maybe McFadden will take over for Randle and won't be a featured back. But you have to understand the reason for concern when the teams reaction to losing Murray is to sign McFadden. Maybe they would have signed him either way....we can't know...all we can know now is that the number1 running and ball control team in the league lost Murray and picked up McFadden.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'll say this much, if they don't think they can get a good pass rusher at that point, and anyone else they'd take would be a reach/project as a pass rusher, I'd give serious consideration to an RB if one of the studs are still there. That late in the 1st round, I don't hate taking a quality RB.

I think Dallas is thinking in terms of value and opportunities, so I suspect they won't pull the trigger on an RB in the 1st round. They could potentially get a nice addition in the 2nd, and maybe even the 3rd, so I have a feeling that's what they'll try to do. Besides, if they did focus on their front 7 in the 1st and 2nd rounds, I think it's understandable. They have to do something, and it's not going to happen via free agency, outside of looking for spares and platooning them like they did last season.

If Gurley or Gordon is there at 27 you put their name on the ticket. Unless one of the premier pass rushers falls to 27, which is about as likely as Cory Proctor dominating Suh at the line of scrimmage lol