Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign DT Justin Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

khiladi

Reaction score
No, they haven't.

Who is Jones?

no wonder you are saying what you are saying, if you don’t know who Aaron Jones is after the Cowboys-GB game.

The guy made LVE ankles almost go the Sean Lee hamstring route.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
no wonder you are saying what you are saying, if you don’t know who Aaron Jones is after the Cowboys-GB game.

The guy made LVE ankles almost got the Sean Lee hamstring route.
We were discussing keeping the LB's clean, you changed topics on me!!!!

Honestly, the opposing O has been getting a clean run at the LB's for a long time.

khiladi

Reaction score

Honestly, the opposing O has been getting a clean run at the LB's for a long time.

There isn’t any change in topic..

I said the defense tackles have been keeping our LBs clean to tackle the RB. They were clean plenty of times in GB, but LVE while clearly getting to Jones, was getting abused, because Jones kept putting him on skates.

but yeah, our DL is a bunch of scrubs too. They are mediocre at their job and get beat plenty and get pushed out and have trouble standing their ground. So your position is right as Well. LVE is talented, out DL are basically journeymen.

your statement is more true than mine. I think it would be more accurate to say that even when our Defensive line has been doing their jobs, our LBs have been getting shook.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Never mind Trysten Hill and Taco Charlton, not to mention the regression of Tank Lawrence.

and i'm not even seeing even the rotation role guys showing up per Kerry Hyder and Chris Covington. They've been JAGs

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isn’t any change in topic..

I said the defense tackles have been keeping our LBs clean to tackle the RB. They were clean plenty of times in GB, but LVE while clearly getting to Jones, was getting abused, because Jones kept putting him on skates.

but yeah, our DL is a bunch of scrubs too. They are mediocre at their job and get beat plenty and get pushed out and have trouble standing their ground. So your position is right as Well. LVE is talented, out DL are basically journeymen.

your statement is more true than mine. I think it would be more accurate to say that even when our Defensive line has been doing their jobs, our LBs have been getting shook.

I just re-watched all run plays by Green Bay in that game.
  • There were only 2 inside runs where a LB was "clean" and didn't make the play. Only one of those gained over 5 yards.
  • There were a couple out outside runs where the LBs were not the primary defender but were late getting there as the help defender.

The problem with the LBs has been that they're getting boxed out by blockers.

• Obviously sometimes when they get boxed out, it's because they made the wrong decision; however, most often it's because the Cowboys defensive scheme against the run makes it too easy for offenses to get blockers out on the LBs with angles/leverage that's almost impossible for LBs to defeat.
  • The playoff game against the Rams was all about the Rams getting blockers into advantageous positions against the Cowboys LBs because of how the Rams took advantage of the Cowboys DLine scheme.
  • The Cowboys LBs have had a few issues of their own, but the overwhelming problem has been how offenses have had better run blocking schemes than the Cowboys run defense scheme.

DLine - Scheme vs Individual Players

• The Cowboys individual DLinemen have not been getting blown up by 1-on-1 blocking very often.
  • The Cowboys run defense scheme often takes the DLinemen out of position.
  • An example is when an offense shows outside run then the RB cuts back inside.
  • Offenses have also been able to consistently get the leverage advantage when blocking the Cowboys DL.
  • The Rams were able to get double-teams on both DTs.
  • The Rams used motion and the threat of an outside run and the threat of misdirection to move the LBs horizontally.
  • The Rams would then have 1 blocker from each double-team peal off and box out the LBs horizontally.
  • The LBs played their assignments but couldn't win based on the Cowboys defensive alignment/scheme vs the Rams.
  • Other teams have copied what the Rams did in the playoff game.

Sydla

Reaction score
I just re-watched all run plays by Green Bay in that game.
  • There were only 2 inside runs where a LB was "clean" and didn't make the play. Only one of those gained over 5 yards.
  • There were a couple out outside runs where the LBs were not the primary defender but were late getting there as the help defender.

The problem with the LBs has been that they're getting boxed out by blockers.

• Obviously sometimes when they get boxed out, it's because they made the wrong decision; however, most often it's because the Cowboys defensive scheme against the run makes it too easy for offenses to get blockers out on the LBs with angles/leverage that's almost impossible for LBs to defeat.
  • The playoff game against the Rams was all about the Rams getting blockers into advantageous positions against the Cowboys LBs because of how the Rams took advantage of the Cowboys DLine scheme.
  • The Cowboys LBs have had a few issues of their own, but the overwhelming problem has been how offenses have had better run blocking schemes than the Cowboys run defense scheme.

DLine - Scheme vs Individual Players

• The Cowboys individual DLinemen have not been getting blown up by 1-on-1 blocking very often.
  • The Cowboys run defense scheme often takes the DLinemen out of position.
  • An example is when an offense shows outside run then the RB cuts back inside.
  • Offenses have also been able to consistently get the leverage advantage when blocking the Cowboys DL.
  • The Rams were able to get double-teams on both DTs.
  • The Rams used motion and the threat of an outside run and the threat of misdirection to move the LBs horizontally.
  • The Rams would then have 1 blocker from each double-team peal off and box out the LBs horizontally.
  • The LBs played their assignments but couldn't win based on the Cowboys defensive alignment/scheme vs the Rams.
  • Other teams have copied what the Rams did in the playoff game.

Good stuff.

And as said before, after the Rams game it was reported that the Rams were able to attack our DL schemes because we apparently were tipping our stunts, etc. Further, as you noted, they used motion and formations to get the LBs out of position, often pre-snap.

We simply have not adjusted.

I think our run game woes aren't simply a talent issue (although I think we have average, at best DTs). There's a coaching/scheme issue at play here as well.

Number1

Reaction score
the big issue in no Crawford, a decent DT and DE, I think we'll see more of Covington, which may be an upgrade

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
giphy.gif

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So what’s the word has he slapped CW around in practice yet???

Status
Not open for further replies.