Signed by Cowboys Cowboys Sign FB Olawale

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think some think that Dallas paying him $2 million per year kept us from getting Earl Thomas. Either that or they have to pay the players' salary. Signing Olawale has no bearing on anything Dallas does or doesn't do during free agency other than not signing a different fullback.

If someone wants to debate that they could have gotten a better fullback for less (or the same amount), I'm fine with that even though there's no proof that it is true.

We just made a 30 year old FB with 2 touches last year on 11% of offensive snaps the 2nd highest cap hit FB in the league.

That enough proof for you?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
It is probably because the guy rarely got snaps - that is a lot of money for NOT using a player that doesn't back up a critical spot either - maybe he was way better on Special Teams than I thought.....

Apologies - just reading contract is: 3 years, $5.4 Million, $2.8 million guaranteed - IMHO still a little rich (especially guaranteed amount) for a guy that had ZERO carries in 2018, and TWO receptions for 13 yards, and a dropped TD pass. I don't remember how many special teams tackles he had - I need to look that up - but he didn't stand out to me on any regular basis there either.

I am not even keen on increasing his role if we desire to get more creative and less conservative.

Seems like a roster spot and a game day spot that could be better used. Need to check how often inactive or on game-day roster last year.....Get a combo scat back, return guy, ball catcher = maybe Tavon Austin (if healthy, if not should be let go anyway) can get some snaps. If not go find this type of role player or draft one in mid to late rounds.

Wanted to clarify contract - not $3 mill a year, thankfully.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
' we sign our own' LOL

Just resigning our own would be cool if we were that Pats and played for SBs each year, but having a philosophy of just resigning your own when the only thing you have won is a pair of wildcard games in the last decade...…………

I dont know, doesn't really seem like the best strategy to me.;)

I think we might need some better players, but maybe that is just me.:(

garyv

Reaction score
The Ravens blew ET away with their deal. He gets $22 million guaranteed, if I read it right. I was just as mad as you are until I saw the contract details.

As for Olawale, I hope they have a plan for him. This was a complete waste of cap space if they don't.

What bothers me I expected guaranteed money at 25 to 30 mil and a base of 14 mil. In my opinion his contract is not anything that I didn't expect and the Cowboys should have known this too. In order to take things up a level some personnel changes need to be made. I'm starting to feel Jerry and Steven are not going to give Garrett extra help. In other words win with what we have or else. I'm wondering if they are holding back spending till next season when Garrett gets replaced by Payton. I'm feeling it.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
SOOOO, our FO thinks the best way to address our safety issues is to sign a seldom used FB to a 3 year contract..........I get it.....:facepalm:

ICP

Reaction score
Lol, you guys hate this move now? Wait till they release him during training camp

jblaze2004

Reaction score
wow throwing money away? Barely used. Wish we ran more one back plays. let zeke run in 3 wr sets than loading up the box

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
wow throwing money away? Barely used. Wish we ran more one back plays. let zeke run in 3 wr sets than loading up the box

If you bundle the money you're paying this bum and the money you're paying Witten, you could have put that towards Earl Thomas or whomever else to actually improve this team.

To refuse to spend 13m on Earl, then give away 7m to a retiree and FB that offers nothing.

These idiots didn't even have a plan to resign their top FA long term.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If you bundle the money you're paying this bum and the money you're paying Witten, you could have put that towards Earl Thomas or whomever else to actually improve this team.

To refuse to spend 13m on Earl, then give away 7m to a retiree and FB that offers nothing.

These idiots didn't even have a plan to resign their top FA long term.

Yep, take the retirement fund for old man Witten and the money wasted on this trash FB and that is the difference between signing ET and not.

That is what a competent GM would do, but we got Jerry and idiot boy trying to prove to everybody they are the smartest guys in the room instead.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Maybe not but his agent can sure deal.

The Cowboys must see something in him or they would not have resigned him. Just sayin.
This is the type of player/position that doesn't need any money tied up in. Draft a fullback and when his 4 years are up you draft another. 300k to 2 million dollars allows you to spend 1.7milll somewhere else. Add that 1.7 mill and another 3 mill from a guy like Jason Qwitten and that allows you to sign a stud instead of a tier two guy at a position of need.