Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
George Selvie makes postive impression
Jul 24
9:10
PM CT
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – At 3 a.m. PT, George Selvie was boarding a plane in Pensacola, Fla. By 4 p.m. PT, he was in a Cowboys jersey ready for practice.

“I landed, got a physical, signed a contract and was ready to work,” Selvie said. “I’ve been sitting too long, so it’s time to get at it.”

He was in on a number of plays, despite only knowing the rudimentary basics of the defense.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4710712/george-selvie-makes-postive-impression

Reaction score
Just watched some of his college highlights below. See a guy who is athletic, very active, and gets off blocks. I like how he dives to tackle ball carriers and QBs. But no real pass rush moves, although he can bend and get around the corner. Apparently he played at 245 in college, but now is 270. So dont know how athletic he still is. I think he is nice depth.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Just watched some of his college highlights below. See a guy who is athletic, very active, and gets off blocks. I like how he dives to tackle ball carriers and QBs. But no real pass rush moves, although he can bend and get around the corner. Apparently he played at 245 in college, but now is 270. So dont know how athletic he still is. I think he is nice depth.

Thanks for posting the clip.

I actually didn't like that aspect of his game in that clip. He leaves his feet way too early, IMO.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He was making some good athletic moves getting up-field. I'd definitely give him a shot. Hope for the best.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the clip.

I actually didn't like that aspect of his game in that clip. He leaves his feet way too early, IMO.

Yeah, that's actually a no-no. It was one of things I didn't like about Bobby Carpenter when he was coming out.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

Selvie was a unanimous All-American and won Big East Defensive POY his Sophmore season after setting the school record in sacks, he was viewed as a top 10 prospect at that time garnering comparisons to Javon Kearse. Because of that early success he wound up getting all the attention from opposing offenses and it hurt his production and draft stock. He's bounced around during his time in the NFL, some of it due to injury... but there's real ability there. If anyone can get it out of him, it's Rob Marinelli.

He's still relatively young, just turned 26 this off-season.

Section446

Reaction score
He was pretty disappointing with the Rams, but the Cowboys have a way of turning "disappointing" guys into good players (Leonard Davis, Laurent Robinson, Marc Colombo, etc...).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like his effort, but not his awareness, seems overly aggressive and easily fooled.

But hopefully, good coaching can turn into a serviceable backup.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

The rise and fall of this guy is so strange. I wonder if he gained too much weight and it robbed him of his gifts, He looks like he should play around the same weight as DWare (255-260). Like others have said, maybe Marinelli can help get his career going.