Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Jason Thompson

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are we signing players now. Free agency is still far away. To play catch at the combine?

Training camp isn't just 53 players that will be on the roster. It starts with 100 or more and pares down as TC and preseason goes on. The reason to sign players now is to start gathering players that might have a chance to compete for a roster spot rather than wait until later and find they have fewer choices.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So more athletes instead of football players?

When filling out the bottom of the roster you are looking for players with upside rather than just players that have already proven they have no chance to develop into anything more than bottom of the roster.

GenoT

Reaction score
NFL teams bring @100 or so guys to camp and then cut down. Everybody gets a look-see, and every season a few long-shots end up making somebody’s 53.

No harm in signing an athletic camp-body early on.

JustChip

Reaction score
Training camp isn't just 53 players that will be on the roster. It starts with 100 or more and pares down as TC and preseason goes on. The reason to sign players now is to start gathering players that might have a chance to compete for a roster spot rather than wait until later and find they have fewer choices.

Not to mention you need way more bodies than roster spots just to be able to practice when injuries happen.

CapnB

Reaction score
Hit 30 home runs for the Pirates one year. Wait, that's the wrong Jason Thompson. Hope Jerry and Stephen realize that...
They'll get'em to try out at QB... It will be just like the good old days with Hutch and Henson

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I know, I know.

This year, any lack of improvement is causing me to cancel my family's annual Cowboys game trip. Not spending thousands of dollars on a team that isn't trying.
Shouldn't spend a dang dime, tbh. Not a penny. Stream too so they don't get your ratings either. Go underground like us cool kids.