Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign K Mike Nugent

CWR

Reaction score
Welp that settles it, we better score alot of tds lol.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
11/28 in kicks of 50+

Dayyyyummmmm..........that’s bad even in D3
It is frightening considering how we approach scoring tactically.

Garrett leans heavily on field goals, always has. Luckily, he has been blessed with Bailey since he became a head coach, save a few games after he took over from Phillips when he had Buehler.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Won't know enough until there is pressure. Can he kick 50 yarders?

When picking up a guy off the scrap heap due to injury, I just want him to not blow the "easy" kicks. Be perfect under and 40 and on XPs. Anything beyond that is gravy.

If we're looking at a 50+ yarder, and the game isn't on the line late, I'd prefer to go for it if it's less than 5 yards. Otherwise, punt and play field position. Don't pretend he's Bailey and try the FG.

Pants

Reaction score
Look on the bright side, maybe lame-Garrett will almost be forced to "go for it" on 4th down more now....more opportunities for the offense to score TD's?

Alexander

Reaction score
Otherwise, punt and play field position.
Are we prepared to do this with our defensive identity?

It seems that we are looking to score and hang on rather than exposing the defense to more possessions.

Alexander

Reaction score
Look on the bright side, maybe lame-Garrett will almost be forced to "go for it" on 4th down more now....more opportunities for the offense to score TD's?
Hopefully there won't be more tricky clever calls in those situations.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't complain about Nugent until he screws up in the upcoming games.

It seems evident that the team tried him out and he won the spot deservedly.

True, but Mike strikes me as a guy who wows you in the tryout but always misses a big kick in the game. There's a reason he was available. I've seen him miss quite a few kicks the last few years. Fingers crossed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
True, but Mike strikes me as a guy who wows you in the tryout but always misses a big kick in the game. There's a reason he was available. I've seen him miss quite a few kicks the last few years. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input. I never kept up with his career. Seems obvious that he's available for good reason. Here's hoping he doesn't fail again for the Cowboys, especially since they've already signed him on. One can't help but wonder how the others might have fared in those workouts they conducted. I assume it's a lock that they didn't impress the team well enough to eliminate him, so there's always that to ponder. Candidly, I never expected to get an all-pro type of kicker, though. Keeping our fingers crossed might be sage advice. He's gotta be better than Heath, tho!! ;)

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Like Zeke Elliott, Nugent is a Buckeye!

How awesome was Nugent when he starred at Ohio State? He is the first kicker in school history to earn team Most Valuable Player honors! Nugent kicked four seasons for the Buckeyes (2001-04) and was a member of the National Championship Team in 2002. A unanimous All-American as a sophomore and senior, he won the Lou Groza Award as college football’s best kicker in 2004.

Nugent Was a Super-High Draft Pick Which Is Unusual for a Kicker

The New York Jets selected Nugent in the 2nd Round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He was the 47th overall pick that year. How strange is it for a kicker to be drafted as high as the 2nd round?Only five kickers in NFL history have been drafted higher than Nugent. Two of them were 1st rounders: Charlie Gogolak (1966, Raiders) and Sebastian Janikowski (2000, Raiders). The other three were second rounders, all higher than Nugent’s selection at #47. Those three are: John Lee (#32 overall, St Louis Cardinals); Chester Marcol (#34 overall, Green Bay); and Jerry DePoyster (#37 overall, Lions).

The Cowboys Are Nugent’s 5th NFL Team in 13 Seasons

Nugent began his career with the Jets and kicked four seasons in New York before spending the 2009 season with the Cardinals (2 games) and Bucs (4 games). In 2010, he returned to his home state of Ohio and signed with the Cincinnati Bengals where he kicked for 7 seasons. He’s the third leading scorer in Bengals’ history, but he was released in mid-December last year after struggling on extra points. At the time of his release, he had the exact same conversion rate on PATs (23 of 29) that he had for field goals (23 of 29). The Bengals decided to release Nugent and sign Randy Bullock...

http://www.5pointsblue.com/5-things-to-know-about-new-cowboys-kicker-mike-nugent/