Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign LB Joe Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They could have added a mid-level MIKE that won't cost an arm and a leg

They added a mid level DT in Thornton. Didn't work. They added a mid level DB in Carroll. Didn't work. It goes on and on.

Maybe they realize they can't judge free agents very well so they just quit?

Never can tell with this team.:huh:

Sydla

Reaction score
Just noting that they could add a mid-level linebacker, but if they feel what they have is serviceable, then they may prefer to build a "better" o-line, secondary or other areas of the team.

Wasn't going to extremes, just covering all areas of the team, if I had said "near impossible to build a top linebacker core and a top secondary core" somebody would crop up with "why didn't you mention the receivers? Our receivers suck" etc. etc. :laugh:

Well frankly, given the roster of the last few years and the clear holes and their inability to seemingly find competent players in the bargain slop bin they like to shop in, I am not sure I feel confident in their ability to know what's serviceable or not.

It's why I was hoping for a subtle change in the FA plan. Show me they understand where their mistakes were and they are working n changing things. But despite saying one thing, they've basically just done the same thing they always have. It gives me little confidence at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
They added a mid level DT in Thornton. Didn't work. They added a mid level DB in Carroll. Didn't work. It goes on and on.

Maybe they realize they can't judge free agents very well so they just quit?

Never can tell with this team.:huh:

Nolan Carroll was not a mid-level CB.

He was slop. A bargain slop bin signing.

You know, your second paragraph is the most logical answer out there.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nolan Carroll was not a mid-level CB.

He was slop. A bargain slop bin signing.

You know, your second paragraph is the most logical answer out there.
NCarroll wasn't that bad..... he was never even given a chance

The contract was stupid though....... it should have never been guaranteed or had a signing bonus... we just didn't need him after the rookies got healthy

4m for 4 games is moronic
Just like CThornton.... he wasn't terrible or a flop but the contract and his usage was idiotic..... 9m for one year.......puke

Paea is the type of deal you sign...... if he walks away it costs you 500k

They can't be both bargain bin and wasting 15m at the same time

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You may be right, but:

Per his NFL draft profile:

"Smith is the rare commodity who is truly hybrid in the sense that he has the athleticism, speed and physical makeup to play any linebacker spot in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. But he was somewhat miscast at middle linebacker at Notre Dame"

He is a bit small for MIKE in the NFL, but once he gets his knee straight (assuming he can), I think he'll put on a few pounds and be okay, weight-wise.

The 4-3 defense was created by Landry to keep the big guys off of the MLB so he's free to make plays, Smith (again if he recovers) has the speed and movement ability that you need in a MIKE. Lee was great at MIKE, and he isn't the biggest guy either, was listed at 236 lbs in his NFL profile.

And the draft profiles are wrong often, as a matter of fact Lee's said "Does not have the smoothest hips and struggles to maintain speed in transitions. Lacks burst to stick in man coverage and limited top-end speed prevents him from being a sideline-to-sideline player."

But he's great sideline to sideline, so I think Smith can be good at MIKE, but it all depends on his physical recovery.

We'll see...
And Jaylon Smith is now 6-2 245, plenty of size to play Mike.

Something people still don't understand is that Marinelli wants his two best linebackers playing Will & Mike. Sam doesn't get many snaps and Marinelli ideally wants that position to be a young player to develop.

waldoputty

Reaction score
And Jaylon Smith is now 6-2 245, plenty of size to play Mike.

Something people still don't understand is that Marinelli wants his two best linebackers playing Will & Mike. Sam doesn't get many snaps and Marinelli ideally wants that position to be a young player to develop.

that is what makes it interesting that they talked about jaylon to slb.
the most involved slb is the atlanta blitzing type, which is not a marinelli type.
it could be a seattle type where the pass defense came from though...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I am not sure I feel confident in their ability to know what's serviceable or not.

Exactly, one reason why I'm not keen on signing mid-level free agents. It's a matter of degree, for them to really help the Cowboys you'd have to assume what the Cowboys have is mostly low-level players, and signing the mid-level guys would be a big improvement.

If you're going to get a free agent, look for a Haley or Deion type player, PROVEN top performer, and limit yourself to one or two of those guys. Maximizes your chance of really pushing the team forward to greater heights...

MrMom

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-acclunt-for-less-than-4-million-in-cap-space

Joe Thomas

Signing bonus: $600,000

2018 base salary: $900,000

2019 base salary: $1.75 million

Max value: $4.6 million

Notable: Thomas can earn up to $100,000 total in per-game roster bonuses for every game he is on the 46-man roster. Twelve of those count against the cap at present. He also can earn an extra $250,000 if he plays in 40 percent of the snaps or $500,000 if he plays in 60 percent of the snaps in 2018 or 2019. In 2019, he has 46-man roster bonuses that total $250,000. The Green Bay Packers chose not to tender Thomas as a restricted free agent at $1.9 million for 2018. He will count $1.275 million against the cap for the Cowboys this season. The second year of the contract is an option year that the Cowboys must pick up by the final day of the 2018 league year.

Sydla

Reaction score
He played in the NFL for 7 years, don't think a low-level cornerback sticks around that long in the NFL...

Yeah they can. Carroll is proof. He was pretty bad his last year in Philly.

He was a bargain bin dumpster dive. Frankly, one of worst in recent years.

Sydla

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-acclunt-for-less-than-4-million-in-cap-space

Joe Thomas

Signing bonus: $600,000

2018 base salary: $900,000

2019 base salary: $1.75 million

Max value: $4.6 million

Notable: Thomas can earn up to $100,000 total in per-game roster bonuses for every game he is on the 46-man roster. Twelve of those count against the cap at present. He also can earn an extra $250,000 if he plays in 40 percent of the snaps or $500,000 if he plays in 60 percent of the snaps in 2018 or 2019. In 2019, he has 46-man roster bonuses that total $250,000. The Green Bay Packers chose not to tender Thomas as a restricted free agent at $1.9 million for 2018. He will count $1.275 million against the cap for the Cowboys this season. The second year of the contract is an option year that the Cowboys must pick up by the final day of the 2018 league year.

So basically a one year deal?

Can live with that.

jchap

Reaction score
He was really good at tackle... Didn't know he moved to LB

Status
Not open for further replies.