Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign QB Andy Dalton

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Did they have a 57 QB rating too?

They lost. I will choose the guy who got his team to the playoffs 5 years in a row without half the talent we have had the last 4 years any day of the week. The guy who went 0-4 actually started 0-3 (typo on my part sorry about that) his rating in those 1st 3 games were 62.3, 82, 31.2

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak in the playoffs:

1 Win
2 Losses

66 completions 103 attempts 64.08% comp % 794 yards 5 TD's 2 Int's

1 playoff game in 2016

2 playoff games in 2018

So Dak isn't exactly burning things down when it comes to getting to and performing in the playoffs.
I'm confused about your point....you don't see how that's better than Dalton's? :facepalm:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They lost. I will choose the guy who got his team to the playoffs 5 years in a row without half the talent we have had the last 4 years any day of the week. The guy who went 0-4 actually started 0-3 (typo on my part sorry about that) his rating in those 1st 3 games were 62.3, 82, 31.2
But you do understand Dalton didn't suck in those games because of "talent" though right? He was the one holding his team back not his teammates.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dak also has 2 rushing TD’s in 3 playoff games.

Lol now go ahead and pull up Dalton’s playoff stats.

I agree Dalton's playoff stats from 2011-2014 suck (1 TD 6 Int's w/a 55% comp. %) but he did have a crappy offensive cast that barely made the playoffs and was beaten by a then quality Texans, Chargers, and Colts team.

That said Dalton is a good signing to not only improve the back-up QB position but also put pressure on Dak if he wants to keep playing hardball.
Go back and watch Danton’s playoff games. When he was in his prime. Ha absolutely choked away those games. He couldn’t handle the pressure. He blew those games.

I like Dalton as a backup QB. But absolutely nothing more.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There is no greater delta between fan expectation and reality than with backup quarterback.

Some folks expect to have Tom Brady backing up Dak. The reality is you get a QB the caliber of Andy Dalton.

The Cowboy teams of the 90s demonstrated what a competent backup QB can do in limited action....Kosar, Beurlein, Peete...

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This is a thread about signing Dalton, not a general thread about overall efforts to sign players. But even in that regard, they have made a few nice FA acquisitions this year. Dalton seems to be one of them.
Jus sayin this FO doesnt have a problem paying certain players that meet a certain criteria

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am simply pointing out the fact that 1 win and 2 losses isn't exactly making Dak an amazing playoff QB.
But you do realize that Dalton has been in the league since 2011 and has racked up 4 losses and no wins though right? And his QB Rating is 57? I'm not boosting up what Dak has done but surely you can see one is worse than the other? Neither is anything worth bragging about......

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasnt that the game where the receivers had 6 drops? And zeke rushed for 47 yards. We lost the turnover battle because of a tony Pollard fumble. Defense sucked only had 1 sack and couldnt get off the field and allowed the eagles to have almost 37 minutes TOP. But go with dak was bad thats y we lost. You're too used to watching romo singlehandedly lose us games
And you criticize "dak haters" for being stupid.

For dak it's the team for romo it was romo. Got it.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Dalton base salary- $3m
Rush’s salary- $2.1m

for less than a million you are going from Rush to having one of the best backups in the league.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Cowboys playing Chess instead of checkers this off season

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you do realize that Dalton has been in the league since 2011 and has racked up 4 losses and no wins though right? And his QB Rating is 57? I'm not boosting up what Dak has done but surely you can see one is worse than the other? Neither is anything worth bragging about......

But...but...it's a team game! Right? Well for Dak it is. Not for Andy or tony...apparently.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
But you do understand Dalton didn't suck in those games because of "talent" though right? He was the one holding his team back not his teammates.

Your very confused if you believe that. Go ahead and checkout his rushing game for those 1st 5 years. here i will do it for you. teams leading rusher

2011 Cedrick Benson..1067 yards 3.8 YPC
2012 BenJarvis Green Ellis 1084 yards 3.9 YPC
2013 BenJarvis Green Ellis 784 yards 3.4 YPC.
2014 Jeremy Hill 1124 yards 5.1 YPC....1st decent back and rushing game he had
2015 Jeremy Hill 794 yards 3.6 YPC

* they also had Giovanni Bernard tossing in some yards in a couple of those seasons but generally speaking he didn't add anymore than the 450 yards Pollard threw in as Zeke's backup this year

So tell me how do you think Dak does with any of these guys in his backfield instead of Zeke or tell me which one of these guys you would take over Zeke. They had decent recievers and a pretty good TE and a terrible O-Line not even close to the one we have, yet still went to the playoffs 5 straight years

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Based on the fact that neither has been that great, would you say that signing Dalton to a max $7M deal is better than signing Dak to a $33M+ deal?

I am not saying that age 32 Dalton will lead Dallas to the Super Bowl but I am equally sure that neither will Dak so why spend big money for no return?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Based on the fact that neither has been that great, would you say that signing Dalton to a max $7M deal is better than signing Dak to a $33M+ deal?

I am not saying that age 32 Dalton will lead Dallas to the Super Bowl but I am equally sure that neither will Dak so why spend big money for no return?

I'd be willing to bet Dalton can get us to 8-8 or 9-7 just as easily as Dak can and has done the last couple of seasons...for a fraction of the price

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your very confused if you believe that. Go ahead and checkout his rushing game for those 1st 5 years. here i will do it for you. teams leading rusher

2011 Cedrick Benson..1067 yards 3.8 YPC
2012 BenJarvis Green Ellis 1084 yards 3.9 YPC
2013 BenJarvis Green Ellis 784 yards 3.4 YPC.
2014 Jeremy Hill 1124 yards 5.1 YPC....1st decent back and rushing game he had
2015 Jeremy Hill 794 yards 3.6 YPC

* they also had Giovanni Bernard tossing in some yards in a couple of those seasons but generally speaking he didn't add anymore than the 450 yards Pollard threw in as Zeke's backup this year

So tell me how do you think Dak does with any of these guys in his backfield instead of Zeke or tell me which one of these guys you would take over Zeke. They had decent recievers and a pretty good TE and a terrible O-Line not even close to the one we have, yet still went to the playoffs 5 straight years
All I see is 3 years where he had 1k rushers.....didn't see you list he had AJ Green, Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu to throw to though lol. Or how they were ranked top 10 in defense when Mike Zimmer was there....but oh well.

But...but...it's a team game! Right? Well for Dak it is. Not for Andy or tony...apparently.
I don't care if you say its a team game or a individual game. There is no argument out there to back up this Andy Dalton claim. He sucks in the post season. He's sucked in the post season. You guy just boosted him up talking about "HE LEAD" the Bengals to 5 straight playoff berths. Now you want to back peddle and say the team lost. You want to give him the individual success for the playoff berths but back out when it comes to his 57 QB rating.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Dalton can get us to 8-8 or 9-7 just as easily as Dak can and has done the last couple of seasons...for a fraction of the price

Well if your ceiling is 8 or 9 wins than yeah that says enough about what you think of Andy Dalton. No need to argue about that anymore.

That's fine. That's your opinion. I can't argue against opinions. I personally think the Cowboys have a better shot at winning games with a 26 year old Dak than they do Andy Dalton. I'm not going to argue facts because we know Dak is more accurate, more mobile, more durable, stronger...there is absolutely nothing that Dalton does better than Dak.