Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign QB Andy Dalton

lspain1

Reaction score
Cooper Rush picked up by the Giants....hmmmm...Does Garrett ever sing a different tune? Apparently not.
I am enjoying our time with Mr. McCarthy very much. I am definitely thinking he was 'all in' on picking up Andy Dalton.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s the usually suspects. @CATCH17 thinks there would be no drop off from Dak to dalton.

We would have similar results yes.

Dak is not miles better then Andy Dalton. Duh.

Dak isn’t a difference maker at QB. He’s a caretaker and he was apart of one of the more underachieving teams in our franchises history last season.

I have absolutely no doubt we could’ve gone 8-8 with Andy Dalton last season.

The issue is Dak making 35 million a year when Dalton can do a similar job for 3.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Dak isn’t a difference maker at QB. He’s a caretaker and he was apart of one of the more underachieving teams in our franchises history last season.

The issue is Dak making 35 million a year when Dalton can do a similar job for 3.

Yeah this couldn't be more wrong.

phildadon86

Reaction score

You’re actually hilarious. The worst part is you actually believe the nonsense you’re saying. Dak threw for 5000 yards last season. He underachieved? No. The whole team quit on the coach. Dak and a handful of others were the only ones who seemed to care enough to try and win. But keep spewing your hate. It’s entertaining.

Dalton isn’t even in the same realm as Dak Prescott. The fact you’re trying to make it seem like he is shows me you are an agenda driven person who’s still upset and blame Dak for dez no longer being on this team. Compare the Dalton over the last 4 years to Dak. I’ll wait.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You’re actually hilarious. The worst part is you actually believe the nonsense you’re saying. Dak threw for 5000 yards last season. He underachieved? No. The whole team quit on the coach. Dak and a handful of others were the only ones who seemed to care enough to try and win. But keep spewing your hate. It’s entertaining.

Dalton isn’t even in the same realm as Dak Prescott. The fact you’re trying to make it seem like he is shows me you are an agenda driven person who’s still upset and blame Dak for dez no longer being on this team. Compare the Dalton over the last 4 years to Dak. I’ll wait.

Please stop it with Dak’s stats because you guys who love to brag about Dak’s stats are the 1st to cry a river when you start to break his stats down against teams that don’t suck.

I look at Dak ability and he is a solid QB that just is what he is and that’s a high end bus driver.

He’s not worth the money and cap space he is asking and is easily replaceable.

Dak is better then Dalton but it is not by a whole lot.

Of course you want me to compare Dak and Dalton based on production over the last 4 years as if the Cowboys situation and the Bengals situation are an exact parallel of one another.

Dak has been in an amazing situation and on his rookie deal he achieved squat.

I would love nothing more to have Dalton as the starter in Dallas and Dak as the starter in Cincy so you delusional Dak boys would see that Dak wouldn’t do any better then Dalton did in that environment and Dalton could easily win 9 or 10 games with this roster in Dallas and we might add a few more quality vets because of the difference in contracts

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Please stop it with Dak’s stats because you guys who love to brag about Dak’s stats are the 1st to cry a river when you start to break his stats down against teams that don’t suck.

I look at Dak ability and he is a solid QB that just is what he is and that’s a high end bus driver.

Of course you want me to compare Dak and Dalton based on production over the last 4 years as if the Cowboys situation and the Bengals situation are an exact parallel of one another.

I would love nothing more to have Dalton as the starter in Dallas and Dak as the starter in Cincy so you delusional Dak boys would see that Dak wouldn’t do any better then Dalton did in that environment and Dalton could easily win 9 or 10 games with this roster in Dallas and we might add a few more quality vets because of the difference in contracts

1st off you spend years saying how Garrett ruined Romo career yet by the same token all Dak played under was the same system that you moaned about. So if the system was so bad that it hurt Romo why would that system not hurt Dak?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah this couldn't be more wrong.

Listen..

I know I’m on a Cowboys message board so in Cowboy land Dak is amazing and is miles and miles better than Andy Dalton.

Is Dak better? Yes..

Is it by a lot? No.

When you factor in Dak’s contract vs what Dalton would ask I think Dalton is a better choice if you can convince the Jones’s to participate in FA.

I would rather draft then be mediocre with Dak or Dalton though.

I want a cheap Rookie QB or a vet taking a pay cut. That’s what wins championships.

HungryLion

Reaction score
1st off you spend years saying how Garrett ruined Romo career yet by the same token all Dak played under was the same system that you moaned about. So if the system was so bad that it hurt Romo why would that system not hurt Dak?

It’s called Schrodingers team.

The front office is highly competent and has put together an elite team that props up the QB and any old average QB could success with.

Yet the front office is so incompetent they are about to pay a mediocre QB major money and screw the rest of the team for the next 4-5 years.

also,

the environment has been ideal for Dak to succeed and he couldn’t succeed anywhere else.
While simultaneously the head coach was awful and has been holding the team back for a decade.

Schrodingers team.

or, just ignorant hypocrisy From some fans.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Daks record against good teams is up there with the best. It was posted here about a week ago. So that’s a false narrative. Unless you’re comparing one season to the whole body of work.

Oh wait so your saying daltons play fell off when the team went to crap? Go figure. So dalton also needs weapons around him to succeed. No way. Only Dak needs that I thought.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Listen..

I know I’m on a Cowboys message board so in Cowboy land Dak is amazing and is miles and miles better than Andy Dalton.

Is Dak better? Yes..

Is it by a lot? No.

When you factor in Dak’s contract vs what Dalton would ask I think Dalton is a better choice if you can convince the Jones’s to participate in FA.

I would rather draft then be mediocre with Dak or Dalton though.

I want a cheap Rookie QB or a vet taking a pay cut. That’s what wins championships.

No that's not the issue with you being on a Cowboys board. Players get bashed on all the time, while others are overrated.

Take Zeke for example he's the most overrated player by a country mile.

Is Zeke better than Mixon? No

Is he a lot better according to the forum? Yes.

But yes Dak is A TON better than Dalton in every single category.

We've put together a good roster(with Dak accounting for $33M against the CAP) with an offense that was top 3 last season(even with Garret) mostly due to our passing offense. Wanting to get rid of the key cog in a top 3 offense for a random draft selection that has a less than 3% chance of being better than our current QB just isn't smart.

Neither rookies nor cheap vet win championships, I'm pretty surprised you posted that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

1st off again.. My stance is Dak’s contract demands and the poor value it is for what he is.

Romo, a much more skilled player, was not worth his contract either.

QBs win titles on rookie deals and on vet deals taking 13% or less of the cap.

Romo was irreplaceable at the time.

Dak is very replaceable. We can beat bad teams on our schedule and lose to good teams with a lot of different QBs. Go find the next Tannehill. Maybe we already did with Dalton.

Scheme can make Dak a better player if we move to something similar to what the 49ers are doing.

The problem is Dak’s ability is not that special.. Dak is an intangible guy that gives you good solid play from the QB position.

His refusal to run at times really limits his possible playmaking ability.

Does Andy Reid make Alex Smith a better player? Sure.. I’d still rather go draft a guy and try to find the next Patrick Mahomes or at least get something similar to Alex Smith in the draft for cheaper.

Paying guys like Alex Smith and Dak Prescott is not the way forward.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No that's not the issue with you being on a Cowboys board. Players get bashed on all the time, while others are overrated.

Take Zeke for example he's the most overrated player by a country mile.

Is Zeke better than Mixon? No

Is he a lot better according to the forum? Yes.

But yes Dak is A TON better than Dalton in every single category.

We've put together a good roster(with Dak accounting for $33M against the CAP) with an offense that was top 3 last season(even with Garret) mostly due to our passing offense. Wanting to get rid of the key cog in a top 3 offense for a random draft selection that has a less than 3% chance of being better than our current QB just isn't smart.

Neither rookies nor cheap vet win championships, I'm pretty surprised you posted that.

Zeke has been great and when Zeke has been great then Dak has been really good.

When Zeke is just an every day runner then Dak is still just good.

The problem is Zeke is what elevates this team and not the QB.

The past 2 seasons we have been completely Amari Cooper dependent and we go as Cooper goes.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Zeke has been great and when Zeke has been great then Dak has been really good.

When Zeke is just an every day runner then Dak is still just good.

The problem is Zeke is what elevates this team and not the QB.

The past 2 seasons we have been completely Amari Cooper dependent and we go as Cooper goes.
Why was Dak and the offense more effecient with Pollard on the field than Zeke then?

Sounds like the opposite of elevating the team. I'd rethink your stance on all of this because you have it asss backwards.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Not sure that I can completely agree with you here. Dalton has had only two seasons with a QB rating above 89.6: His standout year of 106.2 in 2015. That year showed what he's capable of; the other seasons show what he normally is.

Dalton's completion percentage the last three years has twice been below 60 and he's been at 62.3 percent or below in 6 of 9 years (with a run of three straight years of 64-plus in 2014-2016). The 64-plus years showed what he's capable of; the other seasons show what he normally is.

Dalton has thrown 11 or more interceptions in seven seasons and 8 or below in two. The two seasons showed what he's capable of; the other seven show what he normally is.

Prescott has had a QB rating under 90 once in his four years. He's completed below 65 percent of his passes once (62.9 in 2017). He's thrown 11 or more interceptions twice and 8 or fewer twice.

Now, maybe we would have gone 8-8 last year with Dalton, but that's just because this is team game. The games we won might have been closer but still victories and the games we lost might have been lost worse. Or who knows because there are various factors that play a role in winning and losing.

We also might can explain some of Dalton's success/failures in Cincy away by saying he would have done better here, but we don't know that. His career rating is 78.3 and in nine years, I can't say he hasn't played on any good teams.

The evidence is there to show that Dak has played at a very high level overall in three of his four years, and at an elite level one of those years (rating high level at 90+ QB rating and elite at 100+). The numbers show that Dalton has only played at a high level twice in nine years, including an elite level once.

I like the signing because Dalton has had some level of success as an NFL quarterback, including at least one standout year. Maybe with the way this team is built he could step in if needed and help the team win. If we were signing him as a starter, I'd feel differently about it because his past only shows that he's an average player unless we get lucky. It would be a bad signing for that role IMO.

We have a relatively young QB who hasn't likely reached his peak yet (Dalton didn't have his elite season until his fifth year). As I've said, I'd prefer to play him on the tag for at least a year to determine whether that peak is elite, very high or even average (although the four-year evidence does not point to average) and either pay him accordingly or go searching for better (if he can't return to the elite level).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why was Dak and the offense more effecient with Pollard on the field than Zeke then?

Sounds like the opposite of elevating the team. I'd rethink your stance on all of this because you have it as so backwards.

What are you asking me to rethink my stance on exactly? Lol

Dak is a better player without Zeke?