Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign QB Andy Dalton

CoachD

Reaction score
I said last week I wanted the Cowboys to sign Dalton at the right price and they did now they have a very good back up plus an emergency plan if Dak plays hardball with the Cowboys and sits out a little while and as far as I'm concerned it's the best offseason move so far for the Cowboys.

John813

Reaction score
I would have never dreamt signing Andy Dalton would warrant a 68 page thread.
tenor-8.gif

Welcome to pg 69.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not sure that I can completely agree with you here. Dalton has had only two seasons with a QB rating above 89.6: His standout year of 106.2 in 2015. That year showed what he's capable of; the other seasons show what he normally is.

Dalton's completion percentage the last three years has twice been below 60 and he's been at 62.3 percent or below in 6 of 9 years (with a run of three straight years of 64-plus in 2014-2016). The 64-plus years showed what he's capable of; the other seasons show what he normally is.

Dalton has thrown 11 or more interceptions in seven seasons and 8 or below in two. The two seasons showed what he's capable of; the other seven show what he normally is.

Prescott has had a QB rating under 90 once in his four years. He's completed below 65 percent of his passes once (62.9 in 2017). He's thrown 11 or more interceptions twice and 8 or fewer twice.

Now, maybe we would have gone 8-8 last year with Dalton, but that's just because this is team game. The games we won might have been closer but still victories and the games we lost might have been lost worse. Or who knows because there are various factors that play a role in winning and losing.

We also might can explain some of Dalton's success/failures in Cincy away by saying he would have done better here, but we don't know that. His career rating is 78.3 and in nine years, I can't say he hasn't played on any good teams.

The evidence is there to show that Dak has played at a very high level overall in three of his four years, and at an elite level one of those years (rating high level at 90+ QB rating and elite at 100+). The numbers show that Dalton has only played at a high level twice in nine years, including an elite level once.

I like the signing because Dalton has had some level of success as an NFL quarterback, including at least one standout year. Maybe with the way this team is built he could step in if needed and help the team win. If we were signing him as a starter, I'd feel differently about it because his past only shows that he's an average player unless we get lucky. It would be a bad signing for that role IMO.

We have a relatively young QB who hasn't likely reached his peak yet (Dalton didn't have his elite season until his fifth year). As I've said, I'd prefer to play him on the tag for at least a year to determine whether that peak is elite, very high or even average (although the four-year evidence does not point to average) and either pay him accordingly or go searching for better (if he can't return to the elite level).

Again.

Dalton’s situation and Dak’s situation are not an exact parallel of one another.

Dak will win the statistic game all day.

You’re asking me to ignore that Dak has played with the best Oline, Top 3 RB, and has always had receivers, and plays for a franchise that has high expectations.

Vs

Dalton who has been apart of the worst franchise in not just the NFL but all professional sports.

Dalton and Dak are care taker quarterbacks. There are guys that lift their team and guys that get lifted by their team.. Dak and Dalton get carried by the guys around them.

Did Teddy Bridgewater lose a single game with New Orleans last year? Please go ask him to play for the Bengals and let’s see how that turns out for him.

What about Tannehill in Miami? Tennessee puts him on a firm foundation and he is playing really good football now.

Look at their ability as players and not the stat sheet please.

If Patrick Mahomes goes to the Bengals and throws 27 TDs and 15 INTs then I shouldn’t have to look at the stat sheet to see that he is an incredible player.

My problem is Dak and the contract. I’m fine with him as a player. It’s his contract demands and what he is as a player that I’m not ok with.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking on 1310 The Ticket in Dallas, Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones likened the addition of Andy Dalton to an NFC East rival. “To have a guy like Andy Dalton come in here - not unlike what Philly had with Nick Foles when Carson Wentz went down – to be able to take control and win games, win huge games for you if that’s what you need is really important,” Jones said. “Certainly you can lay your head on the pillow better at night knowing you have someone like Andy Dalton.”

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What are you asking me to rethink my stance on exactly? Lol

Dak is a better player without Zeke?

You said Dak is only really good when Zeke is great.
You said Zeke elevates the team around him.

Why then was our offense more effecient when Zeke was off the field and Pollard on it?

Lol I think you knew exactly what I was asking but I went ahead and asked it again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Why then was our offense more effecient when Zeke was off the field and Pollard on it?

Lol I think you knew exactly what I was asking but I went ahead and asked it again.

You’re right... What was I thinking...

Had Zeke not played at all then maybe we score some point on teams that were good.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Really, can you give some stats on this?
There are reasons why this may occur sometimes. As they expect a pass without Zeke, then just run Pollard instead.
I bet you find this with most teams when the back up RB is in the game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Again.

Dalton’s situation and Dak’s situation are not an exact parallel of one another.

Dak will win the statistic game all day.

You’re asking me to ignore that Dak has played with the best Oline, Top 3 RB, and has always had receivers, and plays for a franchise that has high expectations.

Vs

Dalton who has been apart of the worst franchise in not just the NFL but all professional sports.

Dalton and Dak are care taker quarterbacks. There are guys that lift their team and guys that get lifted by their team.. Dak and Dalton get carried by the guys around them.

Did Teddy Bridgewater lose a single game with New Orleans last year? Please go ask him to play for the Bengals and let’s see how that turns out for him.

What about Tannehill in Miami? Tennessee puts him on a firm foundation and he is playing really good football now.

Look at their ability as players and not the stat sheet please.

If Patrick Mahomes goes to the Bengals and throws 27 TDs and 15 INTs then I shouldn’t have to look at the stat sheet to see that he is an incredible player.

My problem is Dak and the contract. I’m fine with him as a player. It’s his contract demands and what he is as a player that I’m not ok with.

I think you are painting Dalton in a more favorable light than he deserves and Dak in a less favorable one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Bengels made the playoffs each of Dalton's first 5 years in the NFL. Not exactly bottom of the food chain in the the NFL, much less the entirety of professional sports. During the Dalton's career the Cowboys have only been to the playoffs 3 times, although theirs have been more recent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Bengels made the playoffs each of Dalton's first 5 years in the NFL. Not exactly bottom of the food chain in the the NFL, much less the entirety of professional sports. During the Dalton's career the Cowboys have only been to the playoffs 3 times, although theirs have been more recent.

My gosh.

Ok...

Who has the worst franchise in the NFL then? Please do tell.

They got some results when Dalton was on a rookie deal and making pro bowls I might add and now you say they aren’t terrible?

Is it a year to year thing with you?

The Bengals are garbage.

Even when they are decent they are garbage.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I get the big foot reference I'm asking what's your point?
Not necessarily pointed directly at you, but you are the number one Dak supporter, you lead with out discretion in that dept.
I respect those that always stand their ground is what I guess Im trying to say, and you have always defended your stance.
What Im saying is that just because of the Dalton signing Im already witnessing former Dak supporters, starting to flip the script.

HungryLion

Reaction score
My gosh.

Ok...

Who has the worst franchise in the NFL then? Please do tell.

They got some results when Dalton was on a rookie deal and making pro bowls I might add and now you say they aren’t terrible?

Is it a year to year thing with you?

The Bengals are garbage.

Even when they are decent they are garbage.

I’m not saying this to argue Dak vs Dalton.

but the cowboys are bottom
1/3 of the league since 95. That’s just reality. I hate to say it as a cowboys fan.

but for the past 25 years the cowboys franchise as a whole hasn’t been some
Powerhouse. They were bottom feeders until Parcells
Arrived and have been mediocre since then.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not saying this to argue Dak vs Dalton.

but the cowboys are bottom
1/3 of the league since 95. That’s just reality. I hate to say it as a cowboys fan.

but for the past 25 years the cowboys franchise as a whole hasn’t been some
Powerhouse. They were bottom feeders until Parcells
Arrived and have been mediocre since then.

The Cowboys spend money.

The Bengals do not.

We can at least be mediocre while still spending assets to try and win games.

The Bengals do not spend.. Their stadium is empty constantly. They are a dumpster.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Cowboys spend money.

The Bengals do not.

We can at least be mediocre while still spending assets to try and win games.

The Bengals do not spend.. Their stadium is empty constantly. They are a dumpster.

That’s not what I’m arguing. The cowboys have also sucked for 25 years without a QB named Romo or Prescott playing for them. Despite the money spending.