Cowboys: SS Daren Stone signed...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the cowboys did sign stone;
October 21, 2008
OU's Roy Williams to IR; Daren Stone signed
3:48 PM Tue, Oct 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips
Having suffered a broken right forearm for the second time this season, Pro Bowl strong safety Roy Williams was put on injured reserve Tuesday.

The Cowboys signed Daren Stone, who worked out for the team earlier in the day. Stone played in 12 games for Atlanta last season and had 10 tackles. He had an interception in the preseason before he was cut. The 6-3, 215-pound Stone played at Maine.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FCBarca;2363516 said:
If you don't recognize him, look for his mug shot after being arrested on drunk driving charges this summer

And because someone got a DUI they should be branded??? Barred from gainful employment?? Or just suffer at the hands of fools???

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
no i didnt say that, i just put out what was said about him and what was on the internet

as you know calvin hill our personnel guru is on the team and im sure he did a heavy background check

i didnt see any more violations, so im pretty sure the kid learned his lesson

i just posted it so you fans could see his bio etc,

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2363615 said:
no i didnt say that, i just put out what was said about him and what was on the internet

as you know calvin hill our personnel guru is on the team and im sure he did a heavy background check

i didnt see any more violations, so im pretty sure the kid learned his lesson

i just posted it so you fans could see his bio etc,

I wasn't addressing you just so you'll know.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
oh ok no problem

i rememeber someone talking about him way back in the draft, and the person said, he was a sleeper and could really help, we sure do need some help at safety and special teams now

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2363737 said:
oh ok no problem

i rememeber someone talking about him way back in the draft, and the person said, he was a sleeper and could really help, we sure do need some help at safety and special teams now

.....................and OL and QB and secondary and attitudes and coaching staff and GM and owner. Yep. We need just about everything right now.
Dude. Stone. I'd hate to be in your shoes right now........

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I really wanted the Cowboys to nab this kid w/one of their late 2nd's in the 2007 draft, but I wanted to convert him to a WILB (his speed is average for a safety but he would be one of the faster LBs). He would need to add about 15-20 more lbs but he is a hitter, can play through trash and has very good hands.

And everyone now sees he has excellent athleticism, great hops and body control.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kid is an all world athlete. Raw having played at Maine. I like the signing - a developmental player.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Stone signing makes me wonder if there are not more roster changes. I know that Stone is taking Roy's roster spot when he went to IR, but what does this say about Courtney Brown?

I say keep churning that roster bottom. Bring in hungry athletic hard hitting players who can truly contribute on ST. Guys like Justin Rogers, Joe Berger, etc. need to play scared, maybe it will improve the ST, b/c the status quo certainly is not getting it done.

I would like to see Danny Woodhead (punt returner) and Andy Studebaker (ST & backup OLB) brought in as well.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
thats a good ideal Bat and i agree but one problem

i think wade said at one time, he doesnt like to churn the bottom of the roster

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
lol, there were plenty of safeties we could have drafted, including a few with that 1st pick in the 6th round we threw away.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BAT;2363887 said:
Stone signing makes me wonder if there are not more roster changes. I know that Stone is taking Roy's roster spot when he went to IR, but what does this say about Courtney Brown?

It says that Courtney Brown is one person and cannot fill TWO roster spots

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2364004 said:
It says that Courtney Brown is one person and cannot fill TWO roster spots

Courtney Brown also plays SS, backing up Keith Davis currently. If you read my post again and a little more s l o w l y, perhaps you can connect the dots, why did the Cowboys bring in ANOTHER SS prospect. Why not a backup FS, ILB, OLB, etc.?

The Cowboys have a TON of areas that lack depth, why another SS. For example, with Spencer injured so often, the Cowboys should be concerned about the lack of depth behind Ellis and Ware.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BAT;2364016 said:
Courtney Brown also plays SS, backing up Keith Davis currently. If you read my post again and a little more s l o w l y, perhaps you can connect the dots, why did the Cowboys bring in ANOTHER SS prospect. Why not a backup FS, ILB, OLB, etc.?

The Cowboys have a TON of areas that lack depth, why another SS. For example, with Spencer injured so often, the Cowboys should be concerned about the lack of depth behind Ellis and Ware.

We needed to replace Roy, but reports are that if Watkins doesn't respond to epidurals, he might need disc surgery and be done for the year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2364029 said:
We needed to replace Roy, but reports are that if Watkins doesn't respond to epidurals, he might need disc surgery and be done for the year.

I understand, but what is the need for THREE strong safeties? Hamlin is the only FS on the roster.

If Spencer cannot spell Ware and Ellis, what player currently on the roster can???

Cowboys were restricted from playing Henry in the slot over TEs (meaning more James and Carp reps_ugh!!) because they did not want to expose Alan Ball on the outside. If the Cowboys do not trust Ball and they need Henry in the slot, why not a vet corner?

Hey, I could go on and on with this ....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BAT;2364095 said:
I understand, but what is the need for THREE strong safeties? Hamlin is the only FS on the roster.
Brown is a FS... Gawd knows he can't tackle well enough to play strong.

And if Watkins is done, that's only two SS, right?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well, he's got a good first name for a safety...

(real close anyways)

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2363586 said:
He's awesome. An amazing player.

Just like all the other safeties in the league who aren't employed halfway through the year.

Yeah this guy has a arrest under his belt too...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2364108 said:
Brown is a FS... Gawd knows he can't tackle well enough to play strong.

And if Watkins is done, that's only two SS, right?

You would think w/Brown's size, skillset and limitations he would be more natural for FS, but .... I dont' think Wade and co. trust anyone but Hamlin to get the secondary into position.

So Brown has played backup SS all season. Right now he's got Watkins former responsibility, playing nickel/dime SS.