Cowboys-Steelers have a great history

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any long time fans of the Dallas Cowboys will certainly remember that mentioning the name of the Pittsburgh Steelers can still induce heartburn and frustration. In the 1970s, the steelers were the only team that stood in the way of the Cowboys winning four SBs in that decade instead of two.

To this day, the loss in SB XIII is the toughest loss I’ve ever felt as a long time Cowboys fan. That 35-31 loss was so full of “what could have been” plays like the infamous Jackie Smith drop in the end zone or the phantom PI call on Benny Barnes or the crazy kickoff fumble by Randy White. I’m feeling all that frustration all over again as I type this. But I digress.

The Cowboys hold a 17-16 all time series lead over the Steelers, which includes the Steelers 2-1 lead in playoff wins, all in SBs. These two teams have played some of the greatest games in NFL history. SB X and SB XIII were both close 4 point Cowboys losses. The Cowboys got a dose of revenge in SB XXX when Larry Brown essentially became Steeler QB Neil O’Donnell‘s best receiver. Unfortunately the Steelers have 6 SB wins to our 5.

Some interesting tidbits of this series:
  • In regular season games, both teams have played 15 games at their respective home stadiums. Dallas is 9-6 and Pitts is 8-7.
  • Pittsburgh leads in the playoff matchups 2-1. SBs X and XIII were both in Miami. Our SB XXX win was in Arizona.
  • The series started 64 years ago with the Steelers winning the first game 34-27 in Sept, 1960 at the Cotton Bowl.
  • The last meeting took place at AT&T in 2020 and the Steelers won 24-19.
  • The Cowboys longest winning streak in the series was 7 straight between 1964-72. The longest steeler streak was 5 straight between 1975 -82.
  • Since 2000, the Steelers are 3-2 against the Cowboys.
  • The last time the two teams met in Pittsburgh was in 2016 in that great Cowboys comeback win where Zeke scored late to seal a thrilling 35-30 win.
  • Some recent Cowboys players who also played for the Steelers include Flozell Adams, Chaz Green, Taco Charlton and Mat McBriar.
Hoping the Cowboys can find a way Sunday to pull one out. This is a great series between two of the most storied franchises in NFL history.

Brax

Reaction score
Any long time fans of the Dallas Cowboys will certainly remember that mentioning the name of the Pittsburgh Steelers can still induce heartburn and frustration. In the 1970s, the steelers were the only team that stood in the way of the Cowboys winning four SBs in that decade instead of two.

To this day, the loss in SB XIII is the toughest loss I’ve ever felt as a long time Cowboys fan. That 35-31 loss was so full of “what could have been” plays like the infamous Jackie Smith drop in the end zone or the phantom PI call on Benny Barnes or the crazy kickoff fumble by Randy White. I’m feeling all that frustration all over again as I type this. But I digress.

The Cowboys hold a 17-16 all time series lead over the Steelers, which includes the Steelers 2-1 lead in playoff wins, all in SBs. These two teams have played some of the greatest games in NFL history. SB X and SB XIII were both close 4 point Cowboys losses. The Cowboys got a dose of revenge in SB XXX when Larry Brown essentially became Steeler QB Neil O’Donnell‘s best receiver. Unfortunately the Steelers have 6 SB wins to our 5.

Some interesting tidbits of this series:
  • In regular season games, both teams have played 15 games at their respective home stadiums. Dallas is 9-6 and Pitts is 8-7.
  • Pittsburgh leads in the playoff matchups 2-1. SBs X and XIII were both in Miami. Our SB XXX win was in Arizona.
  • The series started 64 years ago with the Steelers winning the first game 34-27 in Sept, 1960 at the Cotton Bowl.
  • The last meeting took place at AT&T in 2020 and the Steelers won 24-19.
  • The Cowboys longest winning streak in the series was 7 straight between 1964-72. The longest steeler streak was 5 straight between 1975 -82.
  • Since 2000, the Steelers are 3-2 against the Cowboys.
  • The last time the two teams met in Pittsburgh was in 2016 in that great Cowboys comeback win where Zeke scored late to seal a thrilling 35-30 win.
  • Some recent Cowboys players who also played for the Steelers include Flozell Adams, Chaz Green, Taco Charlton and Mat McBriar.
Hoping the Cowboys can find a way Sunday to pull one out. This is a great series between two of the most storied franchises in NFL history.
Jackie Smith, Randy fumble yeah been real good games played through the years

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That 35-31 loss was so full of “what could have been” plays like the infamous Jackie Smith drop in the end zone or the phantom PI call on Benny Barnes or the crazy kickoff fumble by Randy White.
Randy White doesn't get nearly enough blame for that gaffe because people like piling on Jackie Smith but it's that fumble that basically lost the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
One of my favorite all time games.
Mine too. Atlanta was loaded for Bear that year. Great team. Danny White was clutch and so was Preston Pearson. Danny's best game may have been the next week at San Fran at the NFC title game known as the catch. He threw a absolute dime on a rope to Tony Hill or Drew on the last play of the game that dang near won it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mine too. Atlanta was loaded for Bear that year. Great team. Danny White was clutch and so was Preston Pearson. Danny's best game may have been the next week at San Fran at the NFC title game known as the catch. He threw an absolute dime on a rope to Tony Hill or Drew on the last play of the game that dang near won it.
I think you’re mixing up years.

The Atlanta game was the year they had to beat Philly on the last day of the regular season…and by a lot of points…to win the division. They won but not by enough, as total points were some sort of tiebreaker. Beat the Rams at home in the WC round, then came the Atlanta game, then lost at Philly in CG game, which I’m fully confident they would have won if at home.

The following season they won the division, but didn’t have the one seed, so the CG was at SF, another Im fully convinced they win if at home. That was the catch game….and yeah that play at the end goes forgotten. Made it all that tougher to deal with.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think you’re mixing up years.

The Atlanta game was the year they had to beat Philly on the last day of the regular season…and by a lot of points…to win the division. They won but not by enough, as total points were some sort of tiebreaker. Beat the Rams at home in the WC round, then came the Atlanta game, then lost at Philly in CG game, which I’m fully confident they would have won if at home.

The following season they won the division, but didn’t have the one seed, so the CG was at SF, another Im fully convinced they win if at home. That was the catch game….and yeah that play at the end goes forgotten. Made it all that tougher to deal with.
no. It was 81. Then the next week we had the Niners in the NFC Chip game.

CowboysJames69

Reaction score
Nope it was the Cowboys beating Atlanta in the 1980-81 playoffs and then losing to the eagles in the NFCCC 20-7. The overlap years confuse me also bit I am old and and that's more frequent recently, lol. In the 1981-1982 playoffs we beat Tampa 38-0 and then lost to SF on the catch.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nope it was the Cowboys beating Atlanta in the 1980-81 playoffs and then losing to the eagles in the NFCCC 20-7. The overlap years confuse me also bit I am old and and that's more frequent recently, lol. In the 1981-1982 playoffs we beat Tampa 38-0 and then lost to SF on the catch.
wow I guess that must be it then. Thats right because the Iggles had to play the Raiders that year in the SB. TY