Cowboys-Steelers have a great history

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think you’re mixing up years.

The Atlanta game was the year they had to beat Philly on the last day of the regular season…and by a lot of points…to win the division. They won but not by enough, as total points were some sort of tiebreaker. Beat the Rams at home in the WC round, then came the Atlanta game, then lost at Philly in CG game, which I’m fully confident they would have won if at home.

The following season they won the division, but didn’t have the one seed, so the CG was at SF, another Im fully convinced they win if at home. That was the catch game….and yeah that play at the end goes forgotten. Made it all that tougher to deal with.
Your right. Philly had to play the Raiders in the SB in 81.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Randy White doesn't get nearly enough blame for that gaffe because people like piling on Jackie Smith but it's that fumble that basically lost the game.
It was an accidental flubbed kick and Randy White had a cast on one hand. Sometimes stuff happens. Im not a guy to blame refs but they threw zero flags on Pittsburg. Come on.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
One more trivia note: The first win the Cowboys ever had in the regular season was against the Steelers on 9-17-1961, the opening game. This was also the first opening game of a season the Cowboys ever won.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It was an accidental flubbed kick and Randy White had a cast on one hand. Sometimes stuff happens. Im not a guy to blame refs but they threw zero flags on Pittsburg. Come on.
Then maybe handle the ball in your good hand and avoid contact if you can't hold on or cover up. There was no excuse for that. None. And the Steelers had 5 penalties in that game. Looking up the boxscore is pretty easy. Come on.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Zeke's touchdown run against the Steelers in 2016 is one of my favorite moments from the current era (not that there are many).

After Ben faked the spike and threw the touchdown to Antonio Brown, everyone in the building thought the game was over. My Pittsburgh buddy wouldn't talk to me for a month.

Wasn't alive for the 1970's Super Bowls, but I can imagine most of the boomers here had to have been sick of Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Then maybe handle the ball in your good hand and avoid contact if you can't hold on or cover up. There was no excuse for that. None. And the Steelers had 5 penalties in that game. Looking up the boxscore is pretty easy. Come on.
I wasn’t saying come on to you but the refs. I do remember the Steelers were not penalized when one of their players picked up Cliff Harris and body slammed him on his head. Hey we were not the better team but the better team doesn’t always win.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I know they were less important games, but the starters used to play more in preseason and it was more intense. The Cowboys would often play the Steelers in the late 70s and early 80s and they were entertaining. Here is one from 1979 with Bradshaw and Staubach dueling it out to the end.

FrankM

Reaction score
I’m wondering why they had Randy White a starting DT on special teams. And on the receiving team with a cast on. That had disaster written all over it. Imagined if something like that happened today the head coach would get destroyed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You mean them shooting up roids in the 70’s and stealing the rings off our fingers?
Take off your fan cap, the Cowboys simply got beat. I was around to watch them. Even Landry admitted they were more physical. The Cowboys had a finesse team and made a lot of mistakes. The Steelers of the 70s were one of the all-time great teams. They won back-to-back Super Bowls twice within six years. Physical teams always got the better of the Cowboys in the big games except for our 90s teams which were very physical teams. There was no finesse when Jimmy arrived. It was pure physicality.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
There was mental aspect to the Steelers Cowboys in the 1970s that lasted into the early 1980s. The Steelers won 5 in a row and it seemed like Dallas simply couldn't beat them. They could beat everyone else, even teams that could occasionally beat Pittsburgh like Denver, but they were whipped dogs with Pittsburgh.

Not only the two SB losses, but a loss during 1977 where Dallas looked like they might go undefeated, and they did beat Denver in the SB.

In 1979 they lost twice to Pittsburgh, SBXIII in January, and a regular season loss in October.

There was also a loss in the 1982 strike season when the Cowboys were a much better team on paper.