Cowboys still interested in Chris Simms

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
July 29, 2008
Cowboys-Bucs have talked about trade for Simms

The Dallas Cowboys remain interested in trading for quarterback Chris Simms if the Bucs will lower their asking price of a mid-round pick.

The Cowboys are believed to have communicated their interest in Simms last May but the Bucs have insisted on a third or fourth-round pick.

Simms has taken very limited or no reps in 7-on-7 and team drills since starter Jeff Garcia arrived in training camp Monday.

"I understand the situation,'' Simms said Tuesday. "I don't know what the plan is, but I understand the situation.'

Simms, 27, has been throwing after practice with quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and rookie quarterback Josh Johnson. He is among five quarterbacks in training camp with the Bucs, a list that includes Garcia, Brian Griese, Luke McCown and Johnson.

Former Bucs quarterback Brad Johnson is currently Cowboys' the No. 2 passer behind starter Tony Romo. Johnson turns 40 in Sept.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/07/cowboys-bucs-ha.html

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They'll have to get rid of one those qbs by the first cutdown date.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I'm a fan of picking up Simms for maybe a fifth or sixth.

HOOK EM HORNS!!!!!!!!!!

PosterChild

Reaction score
I'd fork over a 4th for him in a NY minute. I'm not comfortable with BJ should Romo go down. What's the hold up? This team has assembled so much talent that forfeiting a fourth is tolerable.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
PosterChild;2165537 said:
I'd fork over a 4th for him in a NY minute. I'm not comfortable with BJ should Romo go down. What's the hold up? This team has assembled so much talent that forfeiting a fourth is tolerable.

a 4th?! No way. I think a 5th or 6th would suffice. I'm not comfortable with BJ either but lets not turn into the Skins' here.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Don't know that he's worth more than a 6th but i'm all for bringing him in.

Reaction score
I think Simms would benefit from being in Dallas around Jason Garrett because Chucky in Tampa isn't the QB guru everyone thinks he is...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

I'm down w/ that, we could easily recoup that 4th

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score

I dont think anyone knows if he can even play, so forking over an unconditional 4th rd pick would probably be foolish...

I really think he isnt worth anything and will probably be released anyway, but at best I'd give them a 7th rd pick or a bit player we would release anyway (say, a CB like Oglesby)

David

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
dbair1967;2165640 said:
I dont think anyone knows if he can even play, so forking over an unconditional 4th rd pick would probably be foolish...

I really think he isnt worth anything and will probably be released anyway, but at best I'd give them a 7th rd pick or a bit player we would release anyway (say, a CB like Oglesby)

David

:hammer:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

You're more comfortable with Romo being backed up by a guy who hasn't played a down of NFL ball in essentially 2 years?

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly, there's no way I'd give up a mid round pick w/o even knowing if this guy is totally healthy and can be productive as soon as he can learn our offense. Am concerned that Simms would need a lot of reps since he hasn't played in 2 years; that means reps would be taken away from Romo who still developing. Do we really need that? Surely there's another experienced QB out there whose at least has some recent game experience.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
dbair1967;2165640 said:

Anything above a seventh should be conditional, and I'd probably only go as high as a fifth with that.

We're not talking about a player who was a world beater even when he was healthy. Paying what some of these guys are saying for a guy who is clearly a backup is just not wise.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I've been touting Chris Simms as a backup QB prospect since the end of last season, he makes perfect sense for the Boys-- he has starting experience in the league...

But a 4th round pick is a ridiculous request, I'd even be a bit uncomfortable with parting with a 5th, given that the Bucs are likely to release him and he's already told friends that he'd enjoy playing for the Boys... so there's a fair to middling chance they could pick him up for nothing here in a few days...

That said, I would be comfortable with parting with a 6th or lower, just to eliminate the possibility of a mini-bidding war with another team once he got released...

I think Chris Simms could benefit greatly from Jason Garrett's tutelage, and I think he'd be more effective than he ever has been playing in the Cowboys' offense, with all that talent (and that offensive line)... I think he could step in for a few games if Romo were to go down (God forbid), and do an effective job...

Certainly, I'd prefer to see him at the helm instead of Brad Johnson... only one of them can get the ball downfield, LOL...

So I will be touting my own brilliance if and when the Boys do add Chris to the roster... needless to say, such a move would make the Horns fan in me happy (but that's not why I've been touting him for the Boys for so long now, really)...

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I have a feeling, if we trade for Simms, then come April were going to be watching day 2 of the draft an be like "Hey, wheres out 6th rounder? ....We gave it up for Simms? He didnt even play"

....he might get released anyway

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ajk23az;2165501 said:
"I understand the situation,'' Simms said Tuesday. "I don't know what the plan is, but I understand the situation.'

The situation is you stink like dirty socks. And the plan is, if you're acquired, to pay a little for you as possible. Because you suck.

Hook 'em!

calico

Reaction score
I would give up a 5th for him and would rather do than thansee him hit the open market.