Cowboys still not sure where their backup QB is coming from

RS12

Reaction score
The Cowboys know they need to add quarterbacks, plural. They just don’t know at the moment from which direction those quarterbacks will come.

Maybe both directions, as they don’t rule out drafting one and signing a free agent, after players shake out after the draft.

“There’s usually opportunities in players, and what’s going to happen in this draft,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Some people will, and it could be us being one of those guys, taking a quarterback that maybe loosens up another quarterback somewhere else. Of course, there’s constant talks throughout the offseason of people who want to move a quarterback and haven’t moved them yet.We know there are those opportunities out there.

“For whatever the reason, we weren’t able to secure a guy we were comfortable with. I do think there are other options out there that we can add depth to where we are, as to where we sit today.”

The Cowboys have sniffed around the veteran market, talking to Colt McCoy,Chase Daniel and Matt Moore before those guys went elsewhere. Brian Hoyer’s still out there for whomever wants him, and Nick Foles is available in trade (don’t laugh this early in the morning. Nasal coffee burns are the worst).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-from/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

erod

Reaction score
I'm totally cool sitting out this year's draft crop. Do any of them thrill you? Not me.

I heard some draft experts say that Goff and Wentz rank WAY BELOW what Winston and Mariotta did last year. Yikes.

erod

Reaction score
If Romo gets seriously hurt, does it even matter?

Is Green Bay winning the Super Bowl without Rodgers? The Patriots without Brady? The Seahawks without Wilson? The Steelers without Roethlisberger? The Bengals without Dalton?

If your QB is gone for the year, backup quarterbacks serve no purpose other than to play out the schedule.

Craig

Reaction score
The qbs on the board definitely climbed a lot because simply because theyre the best qbs in the draft. When the top 2 are selected they will definitely not be the best player available. If dallas did like one who was there for them id want them to draft the guy, but this isnt a year to push it.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm totally cool sitting out this year's draft crop. Do any of them thrill you? Not me.

I heard some draft experts say that Goff and Wentz rank WAY BELOW what Winston and Mariotta did last year. Yikes.

A lot better than next years

erod

Reaction score
A lot better than next years

So I can have Matt Schaub or Ryan Fitzpatrick this year, or I'll have to settle for Brad Cassell or Brandon Weeden next year?

Gee, what to do?

And nobody had Wentz on their radar this high a year ago. Nobody.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

Is Green Bay winning the Super Bowl without Rodgers? The Patriots without Brady? The Seahawks without Wilson? The Steelers without Roethlisberger? The Bengals without Dalton?

If your QB is gone for the year, backup quarterbacks serve no purpose other than to play out the schedule.

yeah. I agree. But then the there is the games we gotta play. I kind of want "somebody" with a potential future, getting that experience.....We wasted all those games last year on BW and Cassell.....I get it, I might have done the same thing with Cassell....(their evaluation in camp of BW is inexcusable).

But, I want them to maybe "reach" a little in the 2nd, maybe 3rd, where they can get someone they think can turn into a great one, with some time.........

We need to start that process ...now. If Romo goes down, well find out exactly what we have in the guy. And if we want to continue allocating resources on him....if Romo doesn't go down, the guy will be building...experience, awareness, working , developing.....all good things for a new raw QB.

I'm not a draftnik, but I hear Paxtons name thrown around a lot. What are the chances of him falling to the second round?

Reaction score

Which is why I've come around to taking Elliott at #4. Protect our QB with the threat of a game-breaking runner.

erod

Reaction score
yeah. I agree. But then the there is the games we gotta play. I kind of want "somebody" with a potential future, getting that experience.....We wasted all those games last year on BW and Cassell.....I get it, I might have done the same thing with Cassell....(their evaluation in camp of BW is inexcusable).

But, I want them to maybe "reach" a little in the 2nd, maybe 3rd, where they can get someone they think can turn into a great one, with some time.........

We need to start that process ...now. If Romo goes down, well find out exactly what we have in the guy. And if we want to continue allocating resources on him....if Romo doesn't go down, the guy will be building...experience, awareness, working , developing.....all good things for a new raw QB.

I'm not a draftnik, but I hear Paxtons name thrown around a lot. What are the chances of him falling to the second round?

Almost none. In fact, the annual panic is setting in, and I've read that Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook will both be taken in the first round.

I'll list them again.

Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, Weeden, Clausen, Manuel, Freeman, and on and on it goes.

Teams never learn.

bb721

Reaction score

That's all true, but not every injury is a season ender. What happens if he is out for 4 games? It would be nice to have a backup that gives us a reasonable chance to go 2 and 2.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
So I can have Matt Schaub or Ryan Fitzpatrick this year, or I'll have to settle for Brad Cassell or Brandon Weeden next year?

Gee, what to do?

And nobody had Wentz on their radar this high a year ago. Nobody.

Fitz will be at least 12 million

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Almost none. In fact, the annual panic is setting in, and I've read that Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook will both be taken in the first round.

I'll list them again.

Ponder, Locker, Gabbert, Weeden, Clausen, Manuel, Freeman, and on and on it goes.

Teams never learn.

he is out there somewhere....... The next Romo or Brady, or heck even Osweiller.....who I think does well in Houston; I know, I know. Its going to be a process to find one. Which is why I want to get started now.

erod

Reaction score
The Cowboys backup QB is a secondary concern to the primary one which is a coaching staff that doesn't know how to win with one.

With this year's schedule, Dallas would have been OK. But not with that gauntlet last year.

Romo got hurt again anyway, but maybe he could have had that needed extra couple of weeks so the bone was ready.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
You're not winning with these over priced backups anyways. It would be better to draft a guy in the middle rounds with some potential to grow. Have some home grown backups for once.