Cowboys still not sure where their backup QB is coming from

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I'm totally cool sitting out this year's draft crop. Do any of them thrill you? Not me.

I heard some draft experts say that Goff and Wentz rank WAY BELOW what Winston and Mariotta did last year. Yikes.

Many are saying the 2017 QB class is worse...get the QB while you can....Colleges are just not putting out NFL style QB's anymore...

I hate the thought of this, but I think Brian Hoyer will be the backup in Dallas......Doomsday offense if Romo goes down

erod

Reaction score
Many are saying the 2017 QB class is worse...get the QB while you can....Colleges are just not putting out NFL style QB's anymore...

I hate the thought of this, but I think Brian Hoyer will be the backup in Dallas......Doomsday offense if Romo goes down

What if there's none to get? There are plenty of years where all the quarterbacks are basically backups or worse.

reddyuta

Reaction score
kevin hogan is my no 1 choice because he can actually play this year.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
What if there's none to get? There are plenty of years where all the quarterbacks are basically backups or worse.

Not sure what the answer is....Cowboys seem to be late to the party again.....Thought fixing the QB situation was a priority for the Jones....

erod

Reaction score
Not sure what the answer is....Cowboys seem to be late to the party again.....Thought fixing the QB situation was a priority for the Jones....

I'm relieved we're not in the Goff/Wentz imbroglio.

They need to help Romo right now. Unless there's an Andrew Luck in the draft, then don't just throw mud at the wall. Get guys that can play.

I think they'll take one, but I don't care if they don't. There are only 10-15 good ones in the world, so what are the odds anyway?

I would like to get Hoyer though.

Reaction score
Idk about the 2017 QB class being worse. Maybe depth wise, but at the top I like Kaaya and Watson a ton more than Wentz/Goff. Possibly more than Winston/Mariota. And if Tony goes down again next year you can bet the'll trade up to get one.

Reaction score
Most of these QB's need serious training to become a career backup. May as well stick with Moore since according to the GM, Romo has another 4 or 5 years.

Jerry had a chance at a potential franchise QB and blew it. The only hope for franchise QB now is another Romo injury early in the year resulting in another 4-12 year....or worse.

Failing that, I don't see Romo's replacement until well into the 2020's.

Jerry doesn't value the position the way he should. And it's going to cost us.

Reaction score
Idk about the 2017 QB class being worse. Maybe depth wise, but at the top I like Kaaya and Watson a ton more than Wentz/Goff. Possibly more than Winston/Mariota. And if Tony goes down again next year you can bet the'll trade up to get one.
That's the ticket. Give up numerous premium draft picks....maybe an entire draft (or more) for a guy. When they could have given up much less to move up in this draft.

Hooray!

Eddie

Reaction score
If Romo gets seriously hurt, does it even matter?

Is Green Bay winning the Super Bowl without Rodgers? The Patriots without Brady? The Seahawks without Wilson? The Steelers without Roethlisberger? The Bengals without Dalton?

If your QB is gone for the year, backup quarterbacks serve no purpose other than to play out the schedule.

Yep, and that's why it's important to begin developing Romo's replacement.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm totally cool sitting out this year's draft crop. Do any of them thrill you? Not me.

I heard some draft experts say that Goff and Wentz rank WAY BELOW what Winston and Mariotta did last year. Yikes.

I have read some quotes from scouts saying that the top two QBs this year rates above the top two from last year. Go figure. I had rather see a trade down to stock up on picks than draft anyone with the 4th pick. I wouldn't care if the draft picks were for the next draft. Dallas will need them at some point if they ever want a quality QB prospect. In this draft I don't see any wow picks, but that is just my opinion. The pass rush needs to be fixed and the Dline depth is good there, so they should draft s couple linemen, a good number 2 WR and maybe a DB in the second or third rounds.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If Romo gets seriously hurt, does it even matter?

Is Green Bay winning the Super Bowl without Rodgers? The Patriots without Brady? The Seahawks without Wilson? The Steelers without Roethlisberger? The Bengals without Dalton?

If your QB is gone for the year, backup quarterbacks serve no purpose other than to play out the schedule.

What if the QB is out just half the season?

Denver lost their starting QB and still won the SB, they didn't lose every game with their backup

A backup QB is kinda important, everywhere but Dallas apparently

dwreck27

Reaction score
Brad kayya out of miami(fL) will be a stud next year or the following one... Hopefully we won't be picking that high but if we are he's my guy

Common Sense

Reaction score

Denver lost their starting QB and still won the SB, they didn't lose every game with their backup

With a viable backup QB, maybe we win some games and Romo doesn't get rushed back too soon so that he's healthy for the playoffs.

The whole "backup QBs don't matter" argument is so absurdly stupid it almost doesn't even warrant a response.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

Boy, I really can't think of any differences between the Cowboys and Broncos. They're almost like mirror images of each other, it's scary.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
With a viable backup QB, maybe we win some games and Romo doesn't get rushed back too soon so that he's healthy for the playoffs.

The whole "backup QBs don't matter" argument is so absurdly stupid it almost doesn't even warrant a response.

I can't believe some people believe that after what happened to us last year. Where would Denver had been if they didn't have a good backup QB? Our QB's couldn't win anything.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
That's the ticket. Give up numerous premium draft picks....maybe an entire draft (or more) for a guy. When they could have given up much less to move up in this draft.

Hooray!

Not true, the cost is always the same. You just may have more capital from one draft to the next and/or be able to give up less actual picks. But the theoretical value of a pick doesn't change and it's not cheaper for any particular team compared to another.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some people will, and it could be us being one of those guys, taking a quarterback that maybe loosens up another quarterback somewhere else.

Is it just or does Stephan tend to come off like he is high a kite when you read his quotes

I read what he sometimes and it just reminds me of Slater talking about Martha Washington