CFZ Cowboys surpassed expectations in 2022

fivetwos

Reaction score
McCarthy was brought here to take a near playoff team to a title….presumably because he had done it before.

After three seasons, they have not gotten any closer.

This was not a full rebuild.

They won 12 games in 2021. If they were “only supposed” to win 8 or 9 in 2022 something is very wrong elsewhere, but we knew that already didn’t we?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lol, bingo.

“No way we beat San Francisco! They’re just too good!”

Then, after a close divisional loss to a SF team that had more rest and time to prepare:

“How the hell did those idiots lose to San Francisco?!? Blow this thing up and start over!!”
Yes. The front office chose not to build on a 12 win season.

They are busy worrying about the salary cap for 2026.

Not sure how we are supposed to compete with SF and Philly ON the field when we get creamed off of it in roster building.

JayFord

Reaction score
McCarthy was brought here to take a near playoff team to a title….presumably because he had done it before.

After three seasons, they have not gotten any closer.

This was not a full rebuild.

They won 12 games in 2021. If they were “only supposed” to win 8 or 9 in 2022 something is very wrong elsewhere, but we knew that already didn’t we?
he more than likely wouldve this year....its not his fault Dak thought CeeDee was a 49er and causally tossed it to the other team

Motorola

Reaction score
Despite last Sunday's loss, the team is progressing.
From an 8-8 2019 and 6-10 2020 season ----to consecutive 12-5 years with playoff berths. (Half the teams from the 2021 postseason didn't make it in this January.)
So the Cowboys just have to keep improving through roster addtion along with current players getting better at their posirions.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I lowered my expectations long ago to just making the playoffs and maybe winning a game so the team satisfied my expectations but I am always hopeful for more

That said this year we were talented enough and prepared enough in this final game against the 49ers to get further.

I really thought our team looked good prepared and they came to play except two players.

I guess trayvon Diggs didn't single-handedly lose the game for us but he certainly had all the opportunity in the world to help us win it and chose not to do his job.

Dak Prescott succumb to the pressure of the moment and made poor decisions was inaccurate and basically had a bad game at the worst time.

If these two guys had done their jobs we are in the NFC championship game.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes. The front office chose not to build on a 12 win season.

They are busy worrying about the salary cap for 2026.

Not sure how we are supposed to compete with SF and Philly ON the field when we get creamed off of it in roster building.
They did compete with them. Dallas has a talented roster.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
While the pre-season expectations were low and furthermore when Dak went out, the fact is Dallas had a very viable opportunity to beat SF but a certain someone threw the game away thereby costing Dallas an NFC Championship appearance......so expectations changed once the playoff seeding came into play.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
100% surpassed my expectations in the regular season.

BUT, that is not a pass for failing to meet the reset expectations in the playoffs.

All it means is our expectations were set to low going into the season.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Nothing to see here, besides bobble head dak homers making excuses. Dak sucks dak sucks dak sucks

fivetwos

Reaction score
They did compete with them. Dallas has a talented roster.
Yep, if you’re happy to get this far, yes we competed.

Did this team have three more difficult wins in it? Far from it.

Having a talented roster makes it even more shameful that they refuse to take the necessary steps to put the team over the top.

They brought in MM to go deeper into the playoffs. They had an excuse or two in year one. They won 12 games last year and chose to get worse on paper instead of dol all they could to add to it as the two teams that are left in the NFC did.

Again, with all respect to you and the way you see it, they end up falling short in January because of what they didn’t do in March and April.

Then I have to hear the heir apparent, and freakin director of player personnel saying that Super Bowls arent won in the off-season. What??

I guess that’s just the set things up to blame others nature that dad gave him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
he more than likely wouldve this year....its not his fault Dak thought CeeDee was a 49er and causally tossed it to the other team
By no means do I blame him. He is faced with a nearly impossible task of trying to command an NFL team while Jerry acts like Jerry.

MM had a great season and did a great job.

But he also most likely isn’t the answer, and the bottom line is Jerry made the wrong choice…yet again. That’s who I blame, not Mike.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While the pre-season expectations were low and furthermore when Dak went out, the fact is Dallas had a very viable opportunity to beat SF but a certain someone threw the game away thereby costing Dallas an NFC Championship appearance......so expectations changed once the playoff seeding came into play.
Not really. Who had us going further than Divisional round as 5th seed all on the road for a franchise that hasnt won a road playoff game in 30 years?

How we lost the SF game and our expectations are not one in the same .

JayFord

Reaction score
we beat Tom Brady (finally)

we didnt ruin thanksgiving (finally)

we won on xmas eve (thankfully)

we won a playoff game on the road (finally)

the season was sucessful.....dont listen to the media theyll say our season was bad unless we win 2 SBs in one year

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
I feel like this is the problem...our expectations regress every other season to the point we consider it a win when we get to the same place we've been getting to for almost 30 years.

The expectation should be to get to the conference championship game, and beyond.. If we don't, then the season should not be considered a success, not for this team. Not anymore.

However the pattern around here is If we miss the playoffs, then the bar next year gets lowered to "well at least we made the playoffs". If we lose in the first round, then the next year it gets lowered to "at least we made divisional". If we make it to the divisionals again next year and lose again, i guarantee you guys will say "well we made it to the divisionals two years in a row, whens the last time that happened? so we exceeded expectations and we're right there".

Stop accepting the same ol thing

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yep, if you’re happy to get this far, yes we competed.

Did this team have three more difficult wins in it? Far from it.

Having a talented roster makes it even more shameful that they refuse to take the necessary steps to put the team over the top.

They brought in MM to go deeper into the playoffs. They had an excuse or two in year one. They won 12 games last year and chose to get worse on paper instead of dol all they could to add to it as the two teams that are left in the NFC did.

Again, with all respect to you and the way you see it, they end up falling short in January because of what they didn’t do in March and April.

Then I have to hear the heir apparent, and freakin director of player personnel saying that Super Bowls arent won in the off-season. What??

I guess that’s just the set things up to blame others nature that dad gave him.
Sounds like you need a different team, no offense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a different team, no offense.
What I need is this one to cease to revolve around one narcissistic man’s ego.

I can handle losing. I’m growing tired of losing for that reason.

There will never be a new team. That isn’t possible in my world or it would have happened long ago.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m not sure why Cowboy fans are so distraught over this seasons results. The over/ under was 10 1/2 wins . We surpassed those expectations. And we won our 1st playoff game on the road since 1992.

Most analysts had us struggling to make a playoff spot with so many unknowns after making several Cap moves in off season and the uncertainty of our OL.

There was hope that our defense could continue emerging under Dan after an impressive first year with Defensive Rookie of the year Micah Parsons.

And then with the preseason injury to Tyron just a couple weeks before regular season as then Daks injury in Week 1 most felt the season was over. All the while the Egirls were expected to make a surge after their draft which brought several top picks in while expecting Hurts to continue improving on his Rookie playoff season to compliment a top 5 defense .

What we didn’t expect was our backup QB to hold our team up from collapsing . And our defense emerged more than expected keeping our season alive .

What we also didn’t expect is former NFC powers to be down like LA, GB and TB which elevated the Cowboys from 5th-7th best in NFC to 3rd or 4th best.

I’d argue we surpassed expectations this season. But too many fans get too hyped up during the season buying in to the media hoopla. Shoot, I was impressed we probably had the 3rd best team in NFC. And that’s with a dysfunctional ownership, over hyped QB and not enough talent at key positions on offense .

This seasons upswing can be credited to an emerging defense and a backup QB which kept the season alive while Prescott was out. In years past our season would have been over in October.
Totally agree. As for Dak, he's plenty of good enough. Just needs better coaching and more receiving weapons around him, along with a better Oline and better schemed pass routes and playcalling. Still would be good to draft a mid-round QB with potential for the future or just in case.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m not sure why Cowboy fans are so distraught over this seasons results. The over/ under was 10 1/2 wins . We surpassed those expectations. And we won our 1st playoff game on the road since 1992.

Most analysts had us struggling to make a playoff spot with so many unknowns after making several Cap moves in off season and the uncertainty of our OL.

There was hope that our defense could continue emerging under Dan after an impressive first year with Defensive Rookie of the year Micah Parsons.

And then with the preseason injury to Tyron just a couple weeks before regular season as then Daks injury in Week 1 most felt the season was over. All the while the Egirls were expected to make a surge after their draft which brought several top picks in while expecting Hurts to continue improving on his Rookie playoff season to compliment a top 5 defense .

What we didn’t expect was our backup QB to hold our team up from collapsing . And our defense emerged more than expected keeping our season alive .

What we also didn’t expect is former NFC powers to be down like LA, GB and TB which elevated the Cowboys from 5th-7th best in NFC to 3rd or 4th best.

I’d argue we surpassed expectations this season. But too many fans get too hyped up during the season buying in to the media hoopla. Shoot, I was impressed we probably had the 3rd best team in NFC. And that’s with a dysfunctional ownership, over hyped QB and not enough talent at key positions on offense .

This seasons upswing can be credited to an emerging defense and a backup QB which kept the season alive while Prescott was out. In years past our season would have been over in October.
I think many thought this team wouldn't make the playoffs after allowing several veterans go. Add in they lost their QB for several weeks, it was a good season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
What I need is this one to cease to revolve around one narcissistic man’s ego.

I can handle losing. I’m growing tired of losing for that reason.

There will never be a new team. That isn’t possible in my world or it would have happened long ago.
Then my condolences for having a hobby that makes you miserable, I guess.

I enjoyed the season and had the QB not had a terrible day, Dallas was going to beat a SF team that everyone was saying was the best in the league. They almost won with great defense and a young, talented team that played well despite having two less days to prepare for the game.

I enjoyed watching them and watching a lot of the young guys grow. I’m already getting excited about the senior bowl/combine/draft.

It is something I enjoy and I enjoy the team when they’re drafting well and playing in the postseason.

Do I like Jerry and like him as the head of the Cowboys? Hell no, but unless I decide to follow another team, it is something I have to deal with.

There is plenty about this team that I really do enjoy, and getting to the postseason is one of them.

They also are likely the best drafting team in the league, and as a guy who likes building through the draft, that is a very good thing.

I would like them to do a little more through free agency but overall I agree that you overpay in free agency.

I think they might be a little more active in free agency this year as well.

I don’t know man… there is a lot I enjoy about this team and quite frankly, I’d do something else if it made me unhappy.