Cowboys talked to Patriots about trade for CB Christian Gonzalez over the summer

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Messages
100,101
Reaction score
256,128
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This nugget found here.


Again, Dallas’s efforts to add to its defense over the past year have been considerable. The Cowboys were very much in on Maxx Crosby until the Raiders initially agreed to a deal with the Ravens.. They also first reached out to the Steelers on Porter early on in training camp, while making calls on corners with simmering contract situations (New England’s Christian Gonzalez was another). Pittsburgh told Dallas that if a deal happened early in the season, the price would be high. It was too high, at the time, for the Cowboys for a player who had an expiring contract.
 
It also states in this article that as of Wednesday morning the Steelers had no plans to trade Porter and expected him to start against the Browns but then Porter showed up to practice and said his back flared up again. That was it for the Steelers and they started contacting interested teams to get him out of there.
 
It also states in this article that as of Wednesday morning the Steelers had no plans to trade Porter and expected him to start against the Browns but then Porter showed up to practice and said his back flared up again. That was it for the Steelers and they started contacting interested teams to get him out of there.
That seems like a rather rash decision.
 
Cowboys got a better deal by waiting it seems.
Porter showed up for what was very light work on Wednesday, told the coaches his back was acting up, and pulled himself from practice, delivering the team a surprising blow a little over 24 hours before the game. At that point, the trust between the team and Porter, already strained, was severed. So the Steelers aggressively shopped him, aiming to get him off the roster before kickoff.
Sounds like the situation was getting worse each week and finally came to a head Wednesday. Clearly JPJ wanted out and not only that, it looks like he was trying to force his way out.
 
So they wanted to trade for an impact edge rusher, whiffed on Crosby, drafted Malachi, signed 62 year old Von Miller then pivoted to corners?

Its astonishing they thought they were/are ok at Edge

No one will ever claim Hendrickson is a 2 way edge, but we could of had him without trading picks to at least bolster the pass rush. Just an odd way they do business.
 
So they wanted to trade for an impact edge rusher, whiffed on Crosby, drafted Malachi, signed 62 year old Von Miller then pivoted to corners?

Its astonishing they thought they were/are ok at Edge
I think a deadline could still happen, with Sweat the most likely name. They should have been in on Greenard though.

I do think TJ Watt could be someone to watch. They have 30m cap space, and if Pittsburgh wants to move one of Highsmith/Herbig/ Watt, then Watt could actually be the one moved
 
I think a deadline could still happen, with Sweat the most likely name. They should have been in on Greenard though.

I do think TJ Watt could be someone to watch. They have 30m cap space, and if Pittsburgh wants to move one of Highsmith/Herbig/ Watt, then Watt could actually be the one moved
Steelers trying to win now so i don't know if I see them dealing those rushers.
 
This nugget found here.


Again, Dallas’s efforts to add to its defense over the past year have been considerable. The Cowboys were very much in on Maxx Crosby until the Raiders initially agreed to a deal with the Ravens.. They also first reached out to the Steelers on Porter early on in training camp, while making calls on corners with simmering contract situations (New England’s Christian Gonzalez was another). Pittsburgh told Dallas that if a deal happened early in the season, the price would be high. It was too high, at the time, for the Cowboys for a player who had an expiring contract.

As much as I like Gonzalez, its good that nothing came of this. Gonzalez would have cost two 1sts

I disagree with you on the value of CB's. However Im not giving up that for any CB. I liken them to WR's. Key position, but doesnt influence winning enough to trade multiple 1sts for any player at that position.
 
I think a deadline could still happen, with Sweat the most likely name. They should have been in on Greenard though.

I do think TJ Watt could be someone to watch. They have 30m cap space, and if Pittsburgh wants to move one of Highsmith/Herbig/ Watt, then Watt could actually be the one moved
I also agree though they got next year compensation to trade for a edge. I expect a Sweat type deal.
 
As much as I like Gonzalez, its good that nothing came of this. Gonzalez would have cost two 1sts

I disagree with you on the value of CB's. However Im not giving up that for any CB. I liken them to WR's. Key position, but doesnt influence winning enough to trade multiple 1sts for any player at that position.
I agree. I respect them for seeing what it would take but yeah I'd rather have Porter for the compensation.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,029
Messages
14,658,279
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top