Cowboys TE Coach Lunda Wells on 105.3

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I have had this debate each draft season. I see some flaws on both sides. Such is life
Sometimes you are able to sit and take bpa (lamb, trade back for micah) and other times the Eagles jump you and take goedert.

Buffalo showed this year they are willing to jump the Cowboys and take a player they think/know we have interest in (kincaid)
You are always afforded the luxury of bpa and sometimes have to "reach" to take your guy, alas Luke, tfred.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Sometimes you are able to sit and take bpa (lamb, trade back for micah) and other times the Eagles jump you and take goedert.

Buffalo showed this year they are willing to jump the Cowboys and take a player they think/know we have interest in (kincaid)
You are always afforded the luxury of bpa and sometimes have to "reach" to take your guy, alas Luke, tfred.
Indeed

My3Sons

Reaction score
Schoonmaker is better than you're making him out to be. You'll see that when he gets here, I'm betting.
Some of you are mad about the picks because you have the media's board as your board, which is laughable.
Schoonmaker was not even the top TE in Michigan's TE room to start 2022 as a 24 year old senior. That is why nobody had him going in the 2nd round and most didn't have him going to 4th or 5th. I know he won a gold medal at the underwear olympics, but cmon. He couldn't even start as a college senior until the other guy was hurt.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You're pretending there are enough roster spots open to take a developmental type, or waste a pick on a player who won't see any playing time, like Tolbert.

In my view, this was a win-now draft.. and they just want guys who can play dual roles, like on STs and still contribute something if/when injuries happen.

Schoonmaker is better than you're making him out to be. You'll see that when he gets here, I'm betting.
Some of you are mad about the picks because you have the media's board as your board, which is laughable.

They build their board on all kinds of data, interviews, etcetera that we don't have access to. Looks like they have a plan to beat San Fran.
What are you on about?

I have a thread that surmised the way they approached free agency should allow them to package picks to move up and grab targets.

Lool, and don’t tell me about following media boards. I’m not the guy posting “scouting reports” of media scouts in a lame effort to prop up or tear down a particular player. I speak on the guys I’ve watched which includes Schoonmaker.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am rooting for the kid but to be as honest as I can be I think this pick has the biggest bust potential (vs where the player was picked) of any player we drafted. This does not appear to be a good pick (for the draft slot) and screams “reach”.

I think the odds are pretty decent that we will be lumping this guy in with the other 2nd round whiffs we have had in recent years.

Verdict

Reaction score
Schoonmaker was not even the top TE in Michigan's TE room to start 2022 as a 24 year old senior. That is why nobody had him going in the 2nd round and most didn't have him going to 4th or 5th. I know he won a gold medal at the underwear olympics, but cmon. He couldn't even start as a college senior until the other guy was hurt.
Steve Sewell was a RB that was almost an afterthought at OU. Even people who went to college at OU didn’t see him as much more than a solid player. Then the Broncos decided to pick him in the first round and he went on to a great career in the NFL as a dual threat back.

I’m not high on our TE pick either, but sometimes players are not fully utilized in college, even at power 5 schools.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's roughly analogous of what the Cowboys did drafting a 25-year old blocking TE with the #58 overall pick in the 2nd round.

People can try to rationalize the pick but it was a waste of a commodity (high draft pick). It was bad value.
Who said he is a blocking TE??? Clearly the Cowboys had him very high on their board.

:huh:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i wanted mayer.
they didn't.
i liked the player at michigan...just not in rd2.
none of that matters now.
i'm gonna root like hell for him.
GO☆COWBOYS!

cnuball21

Reaction score
But according to Jerry we had him like 20th on our board yippeeeeee.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Wells is a great coach. I would like to see a HC offer for him sometime in the future.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Like the player. But there were better players and really feels like he would’ve been there at 90.
If you watched the first round, McCarthy seemed like he'd seen a ghost.

I think he pushed for TE rd 2.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If you watched the first round, McCarthy seemed like he'd seen a ghost.

I think he pushed for TE rd 2.
They've shown the clip and the discussion was between Bergeron & Mazi and McCarthy wasn't pushing for anyone.

Just a lot of bad body language experts.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the same thought process that led to the Kelvin Joseph pick. I've never heard a front office openly apologize to their fans like they did in the presser that night after drafting Micah. They made sure you knew they wanted one of those corners and Friday would be another opportunity to get one. You knew they were going best available cornerback in round 2.

I don't know if Kincaid was their guy but I think once they saw all those TEs start to come off the board in the late 1st they were intent on filling that need at 58 with whoever was left. So they reached a little on Schoonmaker.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
This shows the trouble of getting locked into need. The Cowboys were determined to draft a TE, and were evidently determined to not give up a pick to trade up. So when they got to 58, they had to take Schoonmaker. No, a comparable player wouldn't have been available in the 7th round, that's absurd, and no, Schoonmaker wouldn't have made it to 90. The TEs were flying off the board like milk the day before a snowstorm, and the Joneses knew it.

So instead of taking a superior prospect in say, Drew Sanders, Torrence, Hooker, Hyatt, or Mims, they reached for the highest rated TE on their board.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This shows the trouble of getting locked into need. The Cowboys were determined to draft a TE, and were evidently determined to not give up a pick to trade up. So when they got to 58, they had to take Schoonmaker. No, a comparable player wouldn't have been available in the 7th round, that's absurd, and no, Schoonmaker wouldn't have made it to 90. The TEs were flying off the board like milk the day before a snowstorm, and the Joneses knew it.

So instead of taking a superior prospect in say, Drew Sanders, Torrence, Hooker, Hyatt, or Mims, they reached for the highest rated TE on their board.
Probably would have been better off giving up on a TE this year and drafting Hyatt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wanted 0 part of drafting a TE when we already had several guys that have huge upside. Drafting a 3rd TE in rd 2 was a weird pick. I like him, just thought we could have done something else. Like Maybe drafting a QB in that rd that had upside. The value was there, just not at TE. Not sayin he wont be good, just saying we have a log jam at TE.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Interesting, comparing Joseph to Schoonmaker. I don’t really understand the comparison. Schoonmaker is probably going to be a solid pro. Joseph was more of a boom or bust pick. I believe the Michigan tight end is a plug and play starter for the Cowboys.