CFZ Cowboys’ Thanksgiving Day History

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys all time record on Thanksgiving Day games is 31-22-1. Since AT&T “Stayjum” opened in 2009, the Cowboys are only 5-8 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. Worse, we are 1-4 on Turkey Day the last 5 years.

Looking at the history of Turkey Day games- the Dallas Cowboys have hosted Thanksgiving games every year since 1966, with the exception of 1975 and ’77.
Here are the Cowboys records on Thanksgiving Day by Stadium:
  • Cotton Bowl: (1966-70) 4-0-1
  • Texas Stadium: (1971-2008- except ‘75 and ‘77) 22-14
  • AT&T Stadium: (2009-present) 5-8
Here are the Cowboys Thanksgiving game records by decade:
  • 1960’s- 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (didn’t play in 75 or 77)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (had a 6 game win streak 80-85, followed by 4 game losing streak 86-89)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade for Thanksgiving games)
  • 2020-21: (so far) 0-2
This Thursday’s game is a critical division game against the team just above us and it could/should be a springboard to getting hot at the right time. Everything this team wants to accomplish is still right in front of them if they can keep the advantage of this home field on a short week.

It’s past time to take back the Turkey legs this Thursday. Let’s go Cowboys!

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Micah is about to go medieval.

This Cowboys team is going to demolish the Giants, a Thanksgiving feast. I think the D-line will garner 10 sacks on the Giants. Jones was sacked 5 times during the first match-up and had a few long scrambles in. He will be contained this Thursday. The Cowboys will win 48- 10.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s perplexing as to why the Cowboys have struggled on Thanksgiving since moving to the new stadium. Their overall record at AT&T hasn’t been that impressive. Last season we were 7-3 heading into Thanksgiving. I’m just hoping the momentum we gained from last Sundays impressive win over Minnesota carries over to Thursday. If it doesn’t and they come in flat resulting in a loss, a majority of the fanbase is going to give up on this season. The Cowboys are either committed to being a championship team or they’re not. We’ve reached the point in the season where you have to start playing your best football. You can’t just flip a switch on and off and expect to be a great team.

Praxit

Reaction score
The Cowboys all time record on Thanksgiving Day games is 31-22-1. Since AT&T “Stayjum” opened in 2009, the Cowboys are only 5-8 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. Worse, we are 1-4 on Turkey Day the last 4 years.

Looking at the history of Turkey Day games- the Dallas Cowboys have hosted Thanksgiving games every year since 1966, with the exception of 1975 and ’77.
  • 1960’s- 3-0-1
  • 1980s: 6-4 (had a 6 game win streak 80-85, followed by 4 game losing streak 86-89)
This Thursday’s game is a critical division game against the team just above us and it could/should be a springboard to getting hot at the right time. Everything this team wants to accomplish is still right in front of them if they can keep the advantage of this home field on a short week.

...oh wow, so haven't won one this decade! ... OK, Bullet, .... i'm happy to say, we should get double servings of Apple and Pumpkin pie thurs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, time to bring the turkey legs home…feast upon the Giants.
Then we can have 10 days to prepare for the stretch run.
Having home field on Thanksgiving in a short week is advantage a good team must seize. It takes a mental toughness and cohesion this team has lacked for a long time. Its all there for the taking if they seize it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cowboys are 3-7 in the last 10 on thanksgiving

I never would have guessed it was that bad

yeah it has been really brutal taking the day off up here to watch, last year's was painful as we were better but Carr's game plan was throw up and hope for PI. The San Diego game a few years ago was bad too.

Time for us to kick a,,, on US Thanksgiving.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Cowboys all time record on Thanksgiving Day games is 31-22-1. Since AT&T “Stayjum” opened in 2009, the Cowboys are only 5-8 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. Worse, we are 1-4 on Turkey Day the last 4 years.

• 1960’s- 3-0-1

Thank you, Bobhaze for posting the this holiday history of the storied franchise we follow.
It brings back memories of some remarkable, nail-biting, on-the-edge-of-your seat reactions to a number of games on Turkey Day___

1966: The first year the Cowboys played on the holiday, was also the season the franchise posted a winning record - and the first NFL championship game the team played in\hosted a title game.

1969: Tie game against the Forty-Niners - the last one of six overall for the record books.

1975 - Clint Longley

1980 - 51 points in a blowout win

1983 - OT loss in a shootout

1993 - Leon Lett

dcstar

Reaction score
Mr Longley...whats he into these days?

2025 will be 50 years since that game.

Go Cowboys!

Motorola

Reaction score
...oh wow, so haven't won one this decade! ... OK, Bullet, .... i'm happy to say, we should get double servings of Apple and Pumpkin pie thurs.
Don't forget the Pecan and Sweet Potato!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you, Bobhaze for posting the this holiday history of the storied franchise we follow.
It brings back memories of some remarkable, nail-biting, on-the-edge-of-your seat reactions to a number of games on Turkey Day___

1966: The first year the Cowboys played on the holiday, was also the season the franchise posted a winning record - and the first NFL championship game the team played in\hosted a title game.

1969: Tie game against the Forty-Niners - the last one of six overall for the record books.

1975 - Clint Longley

1980 - 51 points in a blowout win

1983 - OT loss in a shootout

1993 - Leon Lett

oh that 1993 game.
I was working in South Florida at the time. With many fair weather Dolphins fans.
They were pushing for a playoff spot, I think 1st in their division or maybe just behind Buffalo.

I came home from work. My parents drove down from Ohio. I went straight to bed when I got home that Wednesday. I had some flu bug that hit me within the last few hours of work. I said hi to my parents, told my wife I didn’t feel well, and went to bed and slept for 3 hours. Got up talked to my parents some and went back to bed.
Was up and down until game time So couldn’t really eat on T-Day, just a little bit, then Leon Lett happened.

I actually felt better later that night and was able to eat leftovers. Then Friday evening felt great.

So come Monday, at work. No one said a thing, except a …thank you for the win…they knew they got a gift.
Except one arrogant Dolphins fan gave me crap all day long.
I told him nicely and calmly hey enjoy the win, it will be your last win. We will be fine, we will win out.

sure enough, the Dolphins lost the rest of their games and missed the playoffs. Well we all know what Dallas did.

Actually Jimmy told the team in the locker after that loss. ….you know what needs to be done to get to where you want to go..basically telling them, win out to get HFA. And they did.