CFZ Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Records

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a great tradition of Turkey and football on our Day of Thanks. Since 1966, the Cowboys have played on every Thanksgiving Day except for ‘75 and ‘77. Dallas is 32-22-1 all-time in Thanksgiving Day games.

Here are the Head Coaches’ records on Turkey Day:

• Tom Landry: 14-6-1
  • Jimmy Johnson: 3-2
  • Barry Switzer: 3-1
  • Chan Gailey: 1-1
  • Dave Campo: 1-2
  • Bill Parcells: 2-2
  • Wade Phillips: 3-0
  • Jason Garrett: 4-6
  • McCarthy: 1-2
Turkey Day Record by decade:
  • 1960s: 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (there were no Thanksgiving Day games in ‘75 and ‘77 in Dallas)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (won 6 in a row, then lost 4 in a row)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)
  • 2020-22: (so far this decade) 1-2
  • Unfortunately, since 2000, we are 11-12.
Other interesting tidbits:
  • Longest winning streak: 6 straight- 1980-85
  • Longest losing streak: 4 straight 1986-89
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as a HC: Landry- 14
  • Most Thanksgiving Day losses as a HC: Landry and Garrett- 6
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as QB: Danny White and Tony Romo - 6
Here’s hoping Big Mac squares his Turkey Day record to 2-2 this Thursday!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’ve had some pretty flat Thanksgiving Day performances under Garrett and McCarthy. We can’t afford to have a hiccup against Washington. Hopefully if KC can beat Philly tonight that will fire us up and we’ll be ready to play on Thursday. Sam Howell has been up and down but when he’s on Washington is tough to beat. He did a number on his last year in the season finale.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve had some pretty flat Thanksgiving Day performances under Garrett and McCarthy. We can’t afford to have a hiccup against Washington. Hopefully if KC can beat Philly tonight that will fire us up and we’ll be ready to play on Thursday. Sam Howell has been up and down but when he’s on Washington is tough to beat. He did a number on his last year in the season finale.
Yeah this division game should be a good test. Howell is not great but he’s not Tommy DeVito either.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Washington has a tough defense and we'll be required to put our best foot forward to secure an impressive win. Here's hoping for a great outing! I'm hoping we'll enjoy the game in a nice experience with a Thankfully Victorious Thanksgiving! This team has been highly successful. Let's all enjoy it.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
What a great tradition of Turkey and football on our Day of Thanks. Since 1966, the Cowboys have played on every Thanksgiving Day except for ‘75 and ‘77. Dallas is 32-22-1 all-time in Thanksgiving Day games.

Here are the Head Coaches’ records on Turkey Day:

• Tom Landry: 14-6-1
  • Jimmy Johnson: 3-2
  • Barry Switzer: 3-1
  • Chan Gailey: 1-1
  • Dave Campo: 1-2
  • Bill Parcells: 2-2
  • Wade Phillips: 3-0
  • Jason Garrett: 4-6
  • McCarthy: 1-2
Turkey Day Record by decade:
  • 1960s: 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (there were no Thanksgiving Day games in ‘75 and ‘77 in Dallas)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (won 6 in a row, then lost 4 in a row)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)
  • 2020-22: (so far this decade) 1-2
  • Unfortunately, since 2000, we are 11-12.
Other interesting tidbits:
  • Longest winning streak: 6 straight- 1980-85
  • Longest losing streak: 4 straight 1986-89
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as a HC: Landry- 14
  • Most Thanksgiving Day losses as a HC: Landry and Garrett- 6
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as QB: Danny White and Tony Romo - 6
Here’s hoping Big Mac squares his Turkey Day record to 2-2 this Thursday!
What's quite obvious is that the top three guys had the best players and the best team so obviously they have the best records.... A little eye opening that wade Phillips was undefeated but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it it's very hard to prepare for the three day rest and I can see Mike McCarthy in my opinion made a little mistake not pulling his me and guys a little earlier yesterday I thought after they got up and I know it was pretty close game but still I think he should have pulled him even a little sooner I mean Michael Parsons was still out there almost on the last drive that's a mistake when is a coaching staff gonna nut up and tell this guy to sit down that stats don't matter that he just put it on the sideline three times and now you have to play in three days and you're still out there for no good reason except for to get another sack...

So I think there's some strategy in it and I don't think Mike McCarthy is quite In Sync with making his player sit more I mean I think they could have gave a lot of guys more rest I know it was again pretty close on the first part of the fourth quarter but I think they should have used strategy more and started pulling guys sooner...

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, those Red Jesus days.. arghhh....

I wonder how we made it through. ; )..

stiletto

Reaction score
..wow, those Red Jesus days.. arghhh....

I wonder how we made it through. ; )..
Lasted 5 years too long. Jerry REALLY wanted him to be the next Landry. Still have no idea why. He was never good....

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hate losing on Thanksgiving. It gives me indigestion after eating so much food!! LOL
or you have to add in the fact that we have a game around Christmas the last couple years that hasn't gone so well either so yeah I get tired of having to drink more wine and it ruining my family gatherings because we're all Cowboys fans and and a few of them have become zoner type Cowboys fans that are becoming anti cowboy and they'll rub it in when the Cowboys aren't doing well even though they're still technically Cowboys fans..

But yes I'm with you my thanksgivings would be so much better with a win and this goes back to the snow game that Leon lett became the goat in a bad way with "no Leon no" and I had to drive home in that snowstorm and almost got in a wreck spun a 360 in somce black ice hidden on I20 under snow.. lucky not many cars out, didn't hit anything...

so yeah I remember these thanksgivings all the way back to the 90s when we, lose.. Please let us win Thursday..if i have to trade beat Wash lose to seatle, although if that does happen we're gonna have to listen to zoners and the media say we can't be the team with a winning record LOL

Praxit

Reaction score
Lasted 5 years too long. Jerry REALLY wanted him to be the next Landry. Still have no idea why. He was never good....
..yeah, definitely was some Mental thing with Jerry.

Convinced JG was the GOlden Ticket.

blueblood70

Reaction score
2nd season in a row playing a division rival on the holiday.
Hopefully the result is the same as last year.
We have the results good but it was a stressed out game all the way till what the last 6 minutes I mean we had to pull out a win so yeah it was stressful eating drinking wine while they struggled against the giants same result would be nice but how about an easy game.. :))

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2nd season in a row playing a division rival on the holiday.
Hopefully the result is the same as last year.
Yeah, it still strikes me as weird. I know it hasn't been true for a while but I was so used to the alternating NFC-AFC opponent back in the day.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Washington has a tough defense and we'll be required to put our best foot forward to secure an impressive win. Here's hoping for a great outing! I'm hoping we'll enjoy the game in a nice experience with a Thankfully Victorious Thanksgiving! This team has been highly successful. Let's all enjoy it.
Maybe you haven’t watched them play this season. Their D is atrocious In 2023. They’re ranked near the bottom of league in a lot of the advanced stats. The Washington offense is what will make the game somewhat interesting. Can’t allow Howell to get comfortable….