CFZ Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Records

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What a great tradition of Turkey and football on our Day of Thanks. Since 1966, the Cowboys have played on every Thanksgiving Day except for ‘75 and ‘77. Dallas is 32-22-1 all-time in Thanksgiving Day games.

Here are the Head Coaches’ records on Turkey Day:

• Tom Landry: 14-6-1
  • Jimmy Johnson: 3-2
  • Barry Switzer: 3-1
  • Chan Gailey: 1-1
  • Dave Campo: 1-2
  • Bill Parcells: 2-2
  • Wade Phillips: 3-0
  • Jason Garrett: 4-6
  • McCarthy: 1-2
Turkey Day Record by decade:
  • 1960s: 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (there were no Thanksgiving Day games in ‘75 and ‘77 in Dallas)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (won 6 in a row, then lost 4 in a row)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)
  • 2020-22: (so far this decade) 1-2
  • Unfortunately, since 2000, we are 11-12.
Other interesting tidbits:
  • Longest winning streak: 6 straight- 1980-85
  • Longest losing streak: 4 straight 1986-89
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as a HC: Landry- 14
  • Most Thanksgiving Day losses as a HC: Landry and Garrett- 6
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as QB: Danny White and Tony Romo - 6
Here’s hoping Big Mac squares his Turkey Day record to 2-2 this Thursday!
In fairness to Garrett and Big Mac they are they are the first ones to have to deal with the "road game prior to Thanksgiving" including several times the 4 o'clock game and on at least one occasion (2014) the late night NBC game that ended like at 12:30 am local time. I think the team did/does a lot better when they don't lose a full day of practice owing to cross country travel.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah this division game should be a good test. Howell is not great but he’s not Tommy DeVito either.
Howell can be pretty good we found that out last season. He put up almost 400 yards on Philly a few weeks ago.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
What a great tradition of Turkey and football on our Day of Thanks. Since 1966, the Cowboys have played on every Thanksgiving Day except for ‘75 and ‘77. Dallas is 32-22-1 all-time in Thanksgiving Day games.

I refer to "2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)" as the "Clown Years". I still get angry thinking of all that time wasted by that gum chewing, butt-slap happy, grinning, clapping Clown of a coach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In fairness to Garrett and Big Mac they are they are the first ones to have to deal with the "road game prior to Thanksgiving" including several times the 4 o'clock game and on at least one occasion (2014) the late night NBC game that ended like at 12:30 am local time. I think the team did/does a lot better when they don't lose a full day of practice owing to cross country travel.
That’s actually not correct. Landry, Jimmy and other coaches had to play on the road 4 days prior to Turkey Day game too. Landry went 6-2-1 in those games.

In the 1960s and 70s, Dallas played on the road the week before Thanksgiving game 9 times, with a 6-2-1 record. In the 80s, the team played at home the week before Thanksgiving Day game all decade. From 1990- 2022, the Cowboys played on the road the week before the Turkey Day game 18 times, with a 10-8 record.

Combined, the Cowboys are 16-10-1 when playing the Thanksgiving Day game after playing on the road 4 days prior. I don’t think it’s that big a deal myself. One of the two teams gets a short week after traveling. At least we’re always at home on Thanksgiving.

Motorola

Reaction score
Washington was the Thanksgiving Day opponent just 3 seasons ago ...a 41-16 defeat.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I refer to "2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)" as the "Clown Years". I still get angry thinking of all that time wasted by that gum chewing, butt-slap happy, grinning, clapping Clown of a coach.
It’s so hard to believe Garrett was in charge for a decade. After not making the playoffs once in his first 3 seasons, he should have been ditched then.

Garrett’s teams only made the playoffs once in his first 5 years, so 2015 would have been a good year to cut him loose. And in the decade he was here as HC, we only made the playoffs in 2014, 2016 and 2018. There times in a decade! Just unbelievable.

Motorola

Reaction score
It’s so hard to believe Garrett was in charge for a decade. After not making the playoffs once in his first 3 seasons, he should have been ditched then.

Garrett’s teams only made the playoffs once in his first 5 years, so 2015 would have been a good year to cut him loose. And in the decade he was here as HC, we only made the playoffs in 2014, 2016 and 2018. There times in a decade! Just unbelievable.
Romo went down early in 2015, so Garrett was going to remain the HC for the following season.
His ties with the franchise - former player, his father a longtime team scout - paved the way for his ascension, plus the long time to try and succeed as the head coach. (Remember- Garrett was hired as OC a month before Wade Phillips was brought on as HC.)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The Cardinals hosting Thanksgiving games in 75, 76, and 77 was an odd decision. They got thumped all three times, hosting the Cowboys in 1976.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Ohh man the don't touch it stay away from the ball play by the Big Cat Leon Lett, I had indigestion for about 2 weeks after that game!!lol
the best part of that bad memory is that after that the Boys never lost another game, through to the SB and the Dolphins never won another game that season and just missed the playoffs. I had a Dolphin fan friend back then, an obnoxious one, who would rib me and I would say I would take those results any day, any year. You can have one fluke win and miss the playoffs while you watch us win the SB, you turkey.

BigD5

Reaction score
How is the atmosphere and/or activities at the stadium for a thanksgiving day game? Is it like any other home game? Or do they have anything special set up in or around the stadium? Regular concession items? Or do they have thanksgiving type foods at the concessions?

Mark

Reaction score
I cannot disassociate Cowboys Thanksgiving Day games from Clint Longley's "Mad Bomber" heroics against the R*e*d*s*k*i*n*s.

And still can't believe that he later sucker-punched Roger F-ing Staubach in the locker room.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not sure where you came up with this theory but I looked up the 1972 Cowboys and guess what - they played in Philadelphia the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

The 1974 Cowboys played on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so did 1976, and 1979 teams. Point is, they were playing road games the Sunday before Thanksgiving as far back as the 1970s. Big Mac and Garrett are not the first ones to have to deal with it.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Cardinals hosting Thanksgiving games in 75, 76, and 77 was an odd decision. They got thumped all three times, hosting the Cowboys in 1976.
Plus the TV ratings were down when St. Louis hosted the holiday game - hence the switch back to Dallas.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure where you came up with this theory but I looked up the 1972 Cowboys and guess what - they played in Philadelphia the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

The 1974 Cowboys played on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so did 1976, and 1979 teams. Point is, they were playing road games the Sunday before Thanksgiving as far back as the 1970s. Big Mac and Garrett are not the first ones to have to deal with it.
Exactly. Landry, Jimmy and other coaches had to play on the road 4 days prior to Turkey Day game too. Landry went 6-2-1 in those games.

In Landry’s time, the 1960s and 70s, Dallas played on the road the week before Thanksgiving game 9 times, with a 6-2-1 record. In From 1990- 2022, the Cowboys played on the road the week before the Turkey Day game 18 times, with a 10-8 record.

Combined, the Cowboys are 16-10-1 when playing the Thanksgiving Day game after playing on the road 4 days prior.

ICP

Reaction score
I think we beat the Commadores and then Seattle. But then I think the floor may very well drop out from under us

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Pardon me if someone else covered why Cowboys didn’t play Thanksgiving in 1975 &1977:

Since 1966, the Cowboys have been featured on Thanksgiving Day in every season except for 1975 and 1977, when Dallas was replaced by the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Cardinals had moved from Chicago to St. Louis in 1960, and they didn’t make the postseason once until 1974. After a couple of losses for the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 1972 and 1973 and backup quarterback Clint Longley took over for an injured Roger Staubach in 1974 and led Dallas to a come-from-behind, 24-23 victory over Washington, the NFL decided to give America a break from the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day.

The Cowboys were back in the mix the following season, and the Cardinals hosted Dallas in St. Louis. The Cowboys got the best of the Cardinals, winning 19-14.
In 1977, the Cardinals hosted Miami and this game may have been enough reason for the NFL to scrap the whole Cardinals on Thanksgiving Day experiment. Miami beat St. Louis with a ridiculous final score of 55-10, and that was the end of the Cardinals replacing the Cowboys as a featured team on Thanksgiving.

Nobody seems to know why the NFL decided to make a switch and feature the Cardinals instead of the Cowboys for those two games, but Dallas is certainly entrenched as a Thanksgiving staple today.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/23...-cardinals-on-thanksgiving-twice-in-the-1970s

The Cowboys hosted a Thanksgiving game annually through 1974. But Dallas didn't cement itself as host until after the NFL's failed attempt to market the St. Louis Cardinals and head coach Don Coryell’s high-flying offense. On Thanksgiving Day 1975 and 1977, the Cardinals hosted games. On Thanksgiving 1976, they played at Dallas. St. Louis lost all three games.

After the 1977 game, NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle asked Schramm if he wanted to take back the game in 1978. "I said only if we got it permanently," Schramm told the Chicago Tribunein 1998. "It’s something you have to build as tradition. He said, ‘It’s yours forever.’”

https://www.history.com/news/thanksgiving-football-nfl-lions-bears-tradition#

Note: 1976 Thanksgiving game with StL was actually played in Dallas.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That’s actually not correct. Landry, Jimmy and other coaches had to play on the road 4 days prior to Turkey Day game too. Landry went 6-2-1 in those games.

In the 1960s and 70s, Dallas played on the road the week before Thanksgiving game 9 times, with a 6-2-1 record. In the 80s, the team played at home the week before Thanksgiving Day game all decade. From 1990- 2022, the Cowboys played on the road the week before the Turkey Day game 18 times, with a 10-8 record.

Combined, the Cowboys are 16-10-1 when playing the Thanksgiving Day game after playing on the road 4 days prior. I don’t think it’s that big a deal myself. One of the two teams gets a short week after traveling. At least we’re always at home on Thanksgiving.
From what I can recall this was a demand that Tex gave the league after they screwed around with other teams for those two seasons and came crawling back to the Cowboys after the ratings tanked. But to your first point. Tough to compare anybody to Landry's teams. They rarely lost any games, anywhere, anytime. I also think after many many years of doing it Coach Landry and his guys got the prep down to a science. None of the other guys did it long enough to perfect the way he did. I also think the added wrinkle of the consecutive Thursdays also screws up the preparation for all three games as well. I don't like it at all. I just don't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tex main reason for wanting the Thanksgiving game was to promote his brand . And the NFL obliged with the ratings that followed .

There also was another incentive that some teams resented . Back when there wasn’t a bye week playing on Thanksgiving provided the Cowboys additional time off heading into December and the playoff stretch.

While we had a short week heading into Thanksgiving we usually played at home the Sunday before .

Now or at least the last 7 years the NFL has been scheduling our Thursday Night game following Thanksgiving so we have consecutive Thursdays and no longer have the additional time off after Thanksgiving having to wait another week.

Some have argued it’s the leagues way of punishing us or taking away the additional time after Thanksgiving which was great morale for players to visit family during holiday taking a few days off.

Make no mistake Tex was a master promoter in his own right. It was him that made the most out of the Americas Team label that Landry wanted no part of. Fortunately, Tex believed in staying out of the way not meddling or undermining Tom when it came to football operations .

Tex worked closely with Rozelle who had worked for Tex when in LA and is as credible for the leagues growing popularity and TV age in 1960’s and 70’s. And the Cowboys success on the field played a major role in his access and influence in help shaping the leagues image with Rozelle.