CFZ Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Records

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure how to read that comment after seeing him dismantle the Commadore's.
Howell threw for 390 something against the eagles. He’s capable of playing really well. DeVito is not in the same ballpark as Howell yet. He played well against the Commanders but the C’s defense is terrible.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Howell threw for 390 something against the eagles. He’s capable of playing really well. DeVito is not in the same ballpark as Howell yet. He played well against the Commanders but the C’s defense is terrible.
Yep, I agree he has potential and room to grow but IDK how he is ever going to get rid of the ball faster. #11 should have a field day on Thursday.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not sure where you came up with this theory but I looked up the 1972 Cowboys and guess what - they played in Philadelphia the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

The 1974 Cowboys played on the road the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so did 1976, and 1979 teams. Point is, they were playing road games the Sunday before Thanksgiving as far back as the 1970s. Big Mac and Garrett are not the first ones to have to deal with it.
Thanks.. I don't know what I was looking at before but I could swear that when I researched it before they had not done it a bunch. Perhaps I was lumping it in or confusing it with the whole 4 games in 19 days fiasco since they started the double Thursday night nonsense.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We’ve had some pretty flat Thanksgiving Day performances under Garrett and McCarthy. We can’t afford to have a hiccup against Washington. Hopefully if KC can beat Philly tonight that will fire us up and we’ll be ready to play on Thursday. Sam Howell has been up and down but when he’s on Washington is tough to beat. He did a number on his last year in the season finale.
Now that ( KC lost)has not happened, some forum members express fears we will come out flat. But we need every one of these games.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hate losing on Thanksgiving. It gives me indigestion after eating so much food!! LOL
No Thanksgiving game gave me as much indigestion as the Randy Moss game in 98. We passed Moss up in the draft 7 months earlier and he did a number on us. The next one that made me physically ill was the RG3 Thanksgiving game in 2012. He put up over 300 yards and 4 TDs.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No Thanksgiving game gave me as much indigestion as the Randy Moss game in 98. We passed Moss up in the draft 7 months earlier and he did a number on us. The next one that made me physically ill was the RG3 Thanksgiving game in 2012. He put up over 300 yards and 4 TDs.
I remember that Moss game! It was brutal!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Tex main reason for wanting the Thanksgiving game was to promote his brand . And the NFL obliged with the ratings that followed .

There also was another incentive that some teams resented . Back when there wasn’t a bye week playing on Thanksgiving provided the Cowboys additional time off heading into December and the playoff stretch.

While we had a short week heading into Thanksgiving we usually played at home the Sunday before .

Now or at least the last 7 years the NFL has been scheduling our Thursday Night game following Thanksgiving so we have consecutive Thursdays and no longer have the additional time off after Thanksgiving having to wait another week.

Some have argued it’s the leagues way of punishing us or taking away the additional time after Thanksgiving which was great morale for players to visit family during holiday taking a few days off.

Make no mistake Tex was a master promoter in his own right. It was him that made the most out of the Americas Team label that Landry wanted no part of. Fortunately, Tex believed in staying out of the way not meddling or undermining Tom when it came to football operations .

Tex worked closely with Rozelle who had worked for Tex when in LA and is as credible for the leagues growing popularity and TV age in 1960’s and 70’s. And the Cowboys success on the field played a major role in his access and influence in help shaping the leagues image with Rozelle.
I could be very wrong, but didn’t Aikman open his trap about what an advantage he thought TG was when he played on a broadcast, then others complained, then things changed.

They were no longer again home the Sunday prior, then they started having us play Thursday the following week.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I'm surprised our Thanksgiving record isn't better.

It's such a "grandfathered in" competitive advantage to always have this Thursday game at home, whereas our opponent always has to travel on the short week.

Which means we (as well as Detroit) have the fewest away Thursday games of any team in the league. As far as built in schedule advantages....it's kinda crazy!

Granted...nobody else wanted this "unfair advantage" back when they established Thanksgiving game back in the infancyof the modern NFL ...so we kinda get to reap the rewards now. Who knows for how long though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I could be very wrong, but didn’t Aikman open his trap about what an advantage he thought TG was when he played on a broadcast, then others complained, then things changed.

They were no longer again home the Sunday prior, then they started having us play Thursday the following week.
For the record they didn’t always play at home prior to Thanksgiving. They did begin having our TNF game following Thanksgiving 7 years ago so we don’t get the additional time off until then now. But it also prevented us from having two short weeks prior to a Thursday game .

We did have an advantage over our opponent when we played at home prior to Thanksgiving and the fact the game was at home which was well known since we didn’t have to travel.

And before TNF and Bye’s having 10 days off after Thanksgiving heading into December stretch which many had said was an advantage including Tex.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This whole season, Dallas has not given up a 300 yard passer, or a 100 yard receiver, or a 100 yard rusher!

Can San Francisco, Philadelphia, or Detroit keep up here?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wade Phillip once boasted about having the best winning percentage of any Cowboys head coach........ :laugh:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wade Phillip once boasted about having the best winning percentage of any Cowboys head coach........ :laugh:
He took Houston up strongly despite having to deal with his DC constantly undermining his offense and his directions at Head Coach. Then he was an extremely successful DC for Denver and their Super Bowl win....I'd back up a tad on the insults.

Romo should have been in the NFC Championship Game if not for a dropped field goal hold.

rambo2

Reaction score
What a great tradition of Turkey and football on our Day of Thanks. Since 1966, the Cowboys have played on every Thanksgiving Day except for ‘75 and ‘77. Dallas is 32-22-1 all-time in Thanksgiving Day games.

Here are the Head Coaches’ records on Turkey Day:

• Tom Landry: 14-6-1
  • Jimmy Johnson: 3-2
  • Barry Switzer: 3-1
  • Chan Gailey: 1-1
  • Dave Campo: 1-2
  • Bill Parcells: 2-2
  • Wade Phillips: 3-0
  • Jason Garrett: 4-6
  • McCarthy: 1-2
Turkey Day Record by decade:
  • 1960s: 3-0-1
  • 1970s: 5-3 (there were no Thanksgiving Day games in ‘75 and ‘77 in Dallas)
  • 1980s: 6-4 (won 6 in a row, then lost 4 in a row)
  • 1990s: 7-3 (best decade)
  • 2000-09: 6-4
  • 2010-19: 4-6 (worst decade- the “Garrett Years”)
  • 2020-22: (so far this decade) 1-2
  • Unfortunately, since 2000, we are 11-12.
Other interesting tidbits:
  • Longest winning streak: 6 straight- 1980-85
  • Longest losing streak: 4 straight 1986-89
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as a HC: Landry- 14
  • Most Thanksgiving Day losses as a HC: Landry and Garrett- 6
  • Most Thanksgiving Day wins as QB: Danny White and Tony Romo - 6
Here’s hoping Big Mac squares his Turkey Day record to 2-2 this Thursday!
Turkey day record today. 1 and 0.