Cowboys throw support behind Matt Cassel, leaving Kellen Moore on bench

tomsanders921

Reaction score
“Probably not having that backup quarterback in better shape, whether it be having Cassel for the entire preseason,” Jones said of his failure as GM. “I’ve said that, and I know y’all are tired of hearing it, but certainly not having this backup quarterback in better shape rests solely and completely starting with me and that shouldn’t have been all of it, but it certainly was enough to really diminish a lot of the hope and promise that this team had.”

Cassel, who arrived in a Sept. 22 trade with the Buffalo Bills, saw his record with the Cowboys fall to 1-5. For the third time in those six starts, Cassel failed to pass for 200 yards.

He completed 13 of 29 passes for 114 yards with no touchdowns, one interception and a 41.5 passer rating.

“It’s just part of the NFL,” Cassel said when asked if arriving during the season has anything to do with his struggles. “It’s what we do for a living. Sometimes the situation is what it is. You’ve got to embrace the opportunity. Again, I’ve been given the opportunity here, and I’m grateful for that. At the same time, you’d like to do more with the opportunity when it comes your way.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article49617295.html#storylink=cpy

Weeden was better

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry, stop defending your boy Garrett..
I'm tired of you shifting the discussion away from your 'head coach in training'.

He's problem number 1 and you know it.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Moore must be AWFUL, if that's the case.

No one will ever know unless he gets on the field. Isn't it time to find out before he becomes the backup next year and stinks it up when Tony breaks his clavicle again?

Aven8

Reaction score
No one will ever know unless he gets on the field. Isn't it time to find out before he becomes the backup next year and stinks it up when Tony breaks his clavicle again?

I would have played him weeks ago. I don't think it could really get any worse.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't even want to hear about arm strength and Kellen Moore.

Cassel is not putting anything on his passes that Kellen couldn't. Cassel had another one of those punts today that was just embarrassing to watch.

He's had grip issues since day 1. There's something wrong with his throwing hand.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is probably true, but I don't see what it could hurt. Worse than Cassel? I'd still like to find out.
Well you obviously do not appreciate what is being built here. These coaches see it all in practices, so your curiousity is irrelevant. Hope you can understand.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Moore deserves the shot to see what he can do at this point.

Now I realize they see this guy day in, and day out, so if they're not even willing to play him it's entirely possible that he's just been that awful in practice.

If that's the case then they should have cut him long ago and tried others in practice.

But if you're keeping him around then I would think that he's practiced at least well enough to deserve to be part of a team and if that's the case you let him play and see what, if anything, that he can do in the game.

3 games to evaluate him and decide rather you want to keep carrying him around on this team or not.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
There is truly no reason to not put Moore in now.

If Moore is that bad then they should have kept Weeden as the #2.

If Garrett is thinking of resigning Cassel to back-up Romo next year, he needs to be fired immediately.

dupree89

Reaction score
Yes there is -- and its a big one.

If Moore comes in and plays well or God forbid wins us a game the fact that the entire organization failed to see his potential and waited this long is a devastating blow and an indictment of all of them.

you nailed it

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
just goes to show you why we are in the position we are in after 20 years

Jerry
N3z2V99.gif

802dave

Reaction score
When Romo came in UDFA, people that had seen him throw said he threw better than Bledsoe and whoever else was QBing. I'm not here too much anymore; I haven't seen reports of where Moore is in his development. What are the latest sideline reporter reports of Moore in practice?

Swanny

Reaction score
I want to know Nors opinion on Moore. He backed Romo before Romo was Romo. If only we still had that Nors Bat Signal

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
I don't think I can stand another week of him throwing ducks all over the place.

lostar2009

Reaction score
When Romo came in UDFA, people that had seen him throw said he threw better than Bledsoe and whoever else was QBing. I'm not here too much anymore; I haven't seen reports of where Moore is in his development. What are the latest sideline reporter reports of Moore in practice?

That's the problem. It's the regular season. For the most part the 2nd qb string doesnt get too many reps and the 3rd qb doesn't see the field at all. JG and mostly JJ do not pull trigger on unkown players. JJ needs to see Matt Cassel work in order to validate himself. He knows if Moore works out while they traded for Cassel it wouldn't look good.