Cowboys to interview Mike Zimmer today for their defensive coordinator job

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Theres only one thing I want….whoever the DC is for 2024 is not forced on the new HC for 2025, which seems to be a foregone conclusion, but the geniuses don’t see how that is problematic.
You have another risk. The DC has a somewhat decent year and Jerry thinks "wow this guy can coach" and then they're your new HC

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i really dont think it matters who is the dc or the head coach or who they draft or who they bring in in free agency they are going to fail but come training camp time the fans will flock to camp by the hundreds buy tickets and merchandise and the beat goes on until jerry is no longer the gm or has any thing to do with the cowboys this is who they are

fivetwos

Reaction score
You have another risk. The DC has a somewhat decent year and Jerry thinks "wow this guy can coach" and then they're your new HC
I have very little doubt that Jerry wants this DC to be a hedge bet…someone he can make HC if he wants to fire MM mid season, and/or be the full time replacement next season.

Zimmer is his buddy. He checks every box. He probably wouldn’t be hired by anyone else. Other teams are looking to move forward with younger, brighter minds with fresh ideas.

Jerry wants to be comfortable.

It’s a slap in the face to MM and the ultimate undermining, but this is how Jerry operates. Apparently no level of failure will change it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have very little doubt that Jerry wants this DC to be a hedge bet…someone he can make HC if he wants to fire MM mid season, and/or be the full time replacement next season.

Zimmer is his buddy. He checks every box. He probably wouldn’t be hired by anyone else. Other teams are looking to move forward with younger, brighter minds with fresh ideas.

It’s a slap in the face to MM and the ultimate undermining, but this is how Jerry operates. Apparently no level of failure will change it.
MM brought in Mike Nolan as his first choice. Not saying I'm big on Zimmer, but I'm not worried about undermining.

Majic

Reaction score

I agree with your points, but I don't think Zimmer is one of his mates, But he will get the job because of his familiarity.

fivetwos

Reaction score
MM brought in Mike Nolan as his first choice. Not saying I'm big on Zimmer, but I'm not worried about undermining.
That’s fair actually.

Nolan was an awful choice given the personnel they had. Watching Crawford play NT in that scheme was disgusting.

That’s on Mike, but Mike himself was a poor choice, but that’s all we are gonna get when the top qualifier is allowing Jerry to operate the way he wants, instead of the focus being all about football.

Not saying I’m breaking news, just venting within our support group lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree with your points, but I don't think Zimmer is one of his mates, But he will get the job because of his familiarity.
Whatever it’s called.

Prepare to hear…..”he is familiar with how we do things here with the Cowboys” very soon.

Translation…’I can do whatever I want and while many coaches would have an issue with that, he doesn’t.’

What annoys me to no end is how Jerry and his kid speak as if they have this long history of success doing things their way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s fair actually.

Nolan was an awful choice given the personnel they had. Watching Crawford play NT in that scheme was disgusting.

That’s on Mike, but Mike himself was a poor choice, but that’s all we are gonna get when the top qualifier is allowing Jerry to operate the way he wants, instead of the focus being all about football.

Not saying I’m breaking news, just venting within our support group lol.
I think McCarthy would have ended up a head coach somewhere because he has a Super Bowl on his resume. I had no problem with the hire. My only problem with McCarthy is the criteria for keeping him around. We kept Garrett way too long because every now and then (particularly coming off a bad year that gave us a weaker schedule), he would have a 12-4 or even 13-3 season and get us back to the playoffs. If the goal is getting back to the Super Bowl, then just winning the regular season can't be allowed to mean much. The Joneses have to set a higher standard.

My standard from lessons learned in studying Super Bowl coaches and seeing us muddle through with Garrett is that a coach should get five years to get the team there and has to show progress each year on the way to getting there. McCarthy has one more year in the five-year plan, but he took a step back instead of moving forward this year. So I would have moved on this offseason.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think McCarthy would have ended up a head coach somewhere because he has a Super Bowl on his resume. I had no problem with the hire. My only problem with McCarthy is the criteria for keeping him around. We kept Garrett way too long because every now and then (particularly coming off a bad year that gave us a weaker schedule), he would have a 12-4 or even 13-3 season and get us back to the playoffs. If the goal is getting back to the Super Bowl, then just winning the regular season can't be allowed to mean much. The Joneses have to set a higher standard.

My standard from lessons learned in studying Super Bowl coaches and seeing us muddle through with Garrett is that a coach should get five years to get the team there and has to show progress each year on the way to getting there. McCarthy has one more year in the five-year plan, but he took a step back instead of moving forward this year. So I would have moved on this offseason.
Mike was brought here to take them to a level that Garrett couldn’t.

Yeah so I guess he took us from perpetual 8-8 to perpetual 12-5, but the arrow is not at all pointed upward from here.

They needed to properly supplement the teams of the last three seasons and didn’t because they are worried about signing their own guys years down the road, and/or refuse to understand that an overpay is typically required in FA.

They may have one Hail Mary left this season, but for their plan to work, they have to totally nail every draft, and despite what they tell themselves, they do not.

They need a full rebuild before long, but who is confident these two can handle that well? So I don’t really know where this goes from here. Probably something similar to the Campo years.

Einstein

Reaction score
One of the 1st questions to any DC interview needs to be how do you plan to maximize Micah's abilities?

Rayman70

Reaction score
He actually has 270 acres in Kentucky he lives on.
yes, He also has that place. He prefers Kentucky. I don't blame him. I have half my father's side of the family that is from Kentucky and are there.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see 2024 as a pickem year. Could go either way, a disaster or a SB appearance. Nothing in between.

Kwyn

Reaction score
for what its worth, fans across the league on /r/NFL are talking about how great this hire would be.

Just shows that there we are a bit of an echo chamber here. A few vocal posters set the tone and people fall in line.

I honestly am not concerned about the DC because I’m not anticipating big playoff success so I see more coaching changes in 12 months.